U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:53 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
^ I agree Indonesia wins in biodiversity and diversity of scenery, but I'm also talking about accessibility. It's way easier for tourists to see the wild parts of Sarawak and Sabah versus Kalimantan. It's hard to access Sulawesi, or West Papua. Most of Indo just isn't that accessible for tourists, more the adventurous type. Malaysia is still a mega-diverse country, and boasts almost as much as Indonesia is a smaller area.
Indonesia has 0 no-go area, tourist can get to any places in the country but it is just hard to get to some part of it like the more isolated part, the bumpy roads is tough. Like Sumatra is still easy and Southern Sulawesi, airport are everywhere if they have the money to fly throughout the archipelago, as much as diverse Malaysia is in biodiversity Indonesia still is on top of Malaysia and really, saying Indo is smaller because of Malaysia boast more about is ridiculous. It's very easy if you want to see Rafflesia Arnoldi in Indonesia too, just get to Bogor palace and botanical garden near Jakarta, you don't have to go to deep jungle like in Malaysia. In Java alone too you can get savanna scene in Baluran or beautiful beachside Ujung Kulon national park and even surf at the southern sea of Java, and how much of this you can get in Malaysia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Malaysia is way more comfortable. People are really pleasant, and way less of the 'Foreigner is an ATM' sentiment that goes around in much of Indonesia.

But, if you have any strong interest in Bali, than nothing in Malaysia can quite match that.

In general though, I personally prefer Malaysia (overall) than INdonesia (overall), and mostly because I like the Indian, Chinese, Malay mix of Malaysia, and its more comfortable and relaxing to travel around Malaysia.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Malaysia is way more comfortable. People are really pleasant, and way less of the 'Foreigner is an ATM' sentiment that goes around in much of Indonesia.

But, if you have any strong interest in Bali, than nothing in Malaysia can quite match that.

In general though, I personally prefer Malaysia (overall) than INdonesia (overall), and mostly because I like the Indian, Chinese, Malay mix of Malaysia, and its more comfortable and relaxing to travel around Malaysia.
This isn't that much either in Indonesia, unless you go to touristy parts of Bali like Kuta then yes.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 AM

18,539 posts, read 9,586,076 times
I've seen some of Malaysia peninsular and Borneo and will travel to Indonesia for 2 weeks in September. So after that visit, maybe I can find this thread and give an opinion. I did like Malaysia especially the food, ease of travel, lush vegetation, English widely spoken, inexpensive. But the Thai seem happier and friendlier than Malay so curious to see about Indonesia and Bali.

I've heard Indo food is as good or better than Malaysia which is hard to believe because Malaysia food and variety is so good.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've seen some of Malaysia peninsular and Borneo and will travel to Indonesia for 2 weeks in September. So after that visit, maybe I can find this thread and give an opinion. I did like Malaysia especially the food, ease of travel, lush vegetation, English widely spoken, inexpensive. But the Thai seem happier and friendlier than Malay so curious to see about Indonesia and Bali.

I've heard Indo food is as good or better than Malaysia which is hard to believe because Malaysia food and variety is so good.
The food is nice in Indonesia but it will totally depends on your taste, some says its better others prefer Malaysian food. There are lots of gastronomic opportunity but i would definitely avoid eating at restaurants in Kuta if you want to eat local food, they're far from the real local delicacy. There are lots of food variety too, coming in from different islands like the Padang food or Sundanese (i remember seeing Dapur Sunda restaurant) you might come across. Are you only seeing Bali?

A lot of people agree that Indonesians are friendlier than Malaysians in general, because compared to Malaysians they're much more open and smiling. But the touts in Kuta definitely are annoying to tourist. Malaysians on the other hand are individualistic, but they get friendlier once you know them.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That is hard to believe, as Malaysia has all the different Chinese and Indian regional varieties as well as the Malay stuff.

Maybe if someone compared ONLY Malay-Malaysian food vs Indonesian food...but still, much of the Malay-Malaysian food and Indonesian food, is quite similar.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
That is hard to believe, as Malaysia has all the different Chinese and Indian regional varieties as well as the Malay stuff.
And we have Sundanese, Javanese, Balinese, Minang, Indonesian Malay, Batak, Minahasa, Papuans, Ambonese, Maduranese and many others cuisine... different from each islands too, the staple food and cooking style is different in each island. If you like spicy food especially you would love Indonesian food.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Maybe if someone compared ONLY Malay-Malaysian food vs Indonesian food...but still, much of the Malay-Malaysian food and Indonesian food, is quite similar.
Huh similar? You must kidding me, how similar would it be fter you explore the depth, even Balinese and Javanese cuisine is totally different to Malay cuisine. The Padang food that is more related to the Malay food also have alot of differences, you need to stop generalizing. You also wont get good soto babat, mie bakso or that much good thick peanut sauce in food like indonesia.

It appear similar because some of it are but most? I dont think so.

Where on earth you can get this in Malaysia???

Sure Malaysia have all the Indian and Chinese, but we have Chinese food too along with all the other tribes' food, we can easily match those.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-12-2014 at 07:04 AM..

Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,580,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrain92 View Post
What do you think of both of these country in terms of:
Development
Cities
Cultural scene
Scenery
Natural beauty
Beaches
Food
People
Entertainment
Places to visit
Ease of travel
Indonesia wins on all fronts except infrastructure development and ease of travel...

Old 07-12-2014, 08:07 PM

318 posts, read 407,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Indonesia has 0 no-go area, tourist can get to any places in the country but it is just hard to get to some part of it like the more isolated part, the bumpy roads is tough. Like Sumatra is still easy and Southern Sulawesi, airport are everywhere if they have the money to fly throughout the archipelago, as much as diverse Malaysia is in biodiversity Indonesia still is on top of Malaysia and really, saying Indo is smaller because of Malaysia boast more about is ridiculous. It's very easy if you want to see Rafflesia Arnoldi in Indonesia too, just get to Bogor palace and botanical garden near Jakarta, you don't have to go to deep jungle like in Malaysia. In Java alone too you can get savanna scene in Baluran or beautiful beachside Ujung Kulon national park and even surf at the southern sea of Java, and how much of this you can get in Malaysia?
I honestly think Malaysia offers a lot of what Indonesia does, maybe not the volcanoes or the pre-Islamic culture, but other than that, you can find much of the same in Indo. Plus there are obviously things Malaysia has that Indonesia doesn't. There's nothing like the Batu caves, Malacca, Penang/George Town, Terrenganu, the Mulu/Niah caves, Kinabalu in Indonesia, is there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or