U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:09 PM

318 posts, read 407,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
The food is nice in Indonesia but it will totally depends on your taste, some says its better others prefer Malaysian food. There are lots of gastronomic opportunity but i would definitely avoid eating at restaurants in Kuta if you want to eat local food, they're far from the real local delicacy. There are lots of food variety too, coming in from different islands like the Padang food or Sundanese (i remember seeing Dapur Sunda restaurant) you might come across. Are you only seeing Bali?

A lot of people agree that Indonesians are friendlier than Malaysians in general, because compared to Malaysians they're much more open and smiling. But the touts in Kuta definitely are annoying to tourist. Malaysians on the other hand are individualistic, but they get friendlier once you know them.
Yes, I would probably agree. It's probably partly because Malaysia is more developed. I would say to an extent some of the Chinese Malaysians are less friendly (BIG generalisation, I know, since I know many friendly Malaysian Chinese, and they're definitely still moreso than Chinese Singaporeans). Malays are often friendly, but sometimes they can seem sort of suspicious of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Malaysia is way more comfortable. People are really pleasant, and way less of the 'Foreigner is an ATM' sentiment that goes around in much of Indonesia.

But, if you have any strong interest in Bali, than nothing in Malaysia can quite match that.

In general though, I personally prefer Malaysia (overall) than INdonesia (overall), and mostly because I like the Indian, Chinese, Malay mix of Malaysia, and its more comfortable and relaxing to travel around Malaysia.
Yep, that it is. I haven't seen much of Indonesia, and I'm not saying Malaysia is a better place to visit, they're somewhat different. Malaysia does have nature, and I feel it's more accessible. Malaysia's urban scene is definitely better, IMO.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've seen some of Malaysia peninsular and Borneo and will travel to Indonesia for 2 weeks in September. So after that visit, maybe I can find this thread and give an opinion. I did like Malaysia especially the food, ease of travel, lush vegetation, English widely spoken, inexpensive. But the Thai seem happier and friendlier than Malay so curious to see about Indonesia and Bali.

I've heard Indo food is as good or better than Malaysia which is hard to believe because Malaysia food and variety is so good.
I like Indo food, it is very similar to Malaysian, they both have their strengths, but share a lot of similarities. The food in Sumatra is the closest to Malay.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
I honestly think Malaysia offers a lot of what Indonesia does, maybe not the volcanoes or the pre-Islamic culture, but other than that, you can find much of the same in Indo. Plus there are obviously things Malaysia has that Indonesia doesn't. There's nothing like the Batu caves, Malacca, Penang/George Town, Terrenganu, the Mulu/Niah caves, Kinabalu in Indonesia, is there?
And rices terraces you don't have those in Malaysia, since most of the landscapes are oil palm plantation.

And you don't have the crystal cave of kupang, red cave or liang bua caves where they found the Hobbits. And also many other attraction like Raja Ampat, Komodo Island, Lombok, Torajaland, Gorontalo, Manado etc etc there is nothing in those list that are similar to Malaysia. We don't have Batu caves since its Indian, but Bali's old Hindu tradition and caves temples are nice. Malacca/Georgetown or colonial towns, not so much but there is some remnant concentrated in certain location, they just need to redevelop it first. Ohh and let's not forget the colosal temple of Borobudur and many other pre Islamic classical temples which Malaysia lack.

Quote:
Yes, I would probably agree. It's probably partly because Malaysia is more developed. I would say to an extent some of the Chinese Malaysians are less friendly (BIG generalisation, I know, since I know many friendly Malaysian Chinese, and they're definitely still moreso than Chinese Singaporeans). Malays are often friendly, but sometimes they can seem sort of suspicious of you.
Nope, i mean Thailand is pretty developed compared to Indo and Phil but still are as friendly, its more in the society to be open/friendly towards a stranger. For example: how Saigonese tend to be more friendly than those in Hanoi.

Quote:
Yep, that it is. I haven't seen much of Indonesia, and I'm not saying Malaysia is a better place to visit, they're somewhat different. Malaysia does have nature, and I feel it's more accessible. Malaysia's urban scene is definitely better, IMO.
The cities in Malaysia are more developed and planned, in Indo the cities tend to be chaotic and not planned. But some of the cities are nice like Surabya for example, its reasonably planned, clean and green.

If you are comparing Java and Malaya only, both are extremely accesible, and are about the same size. East Malaysia can be compared to Sumatra rather than Indonesian side of Borneo.

Quote:
I like Indo food, it is very similar to Malaysian, they both have their strengths, but share a lot of similarities. The food in Sumatra is the closest to Malay.
It's not similar when you go eastern.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-12-2014 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
And rices terraces you don't have those in Malaysia, since most of the landscapes are oil palm plantation.

And you don't have the crystal cave of kupang, red cave or liang bua caves where they found the Hobbits. And also many other attraction like Raja Ampat, Komodo Island, Lombok, Torajaland, Gorontalo, Manado etc etc there is nothing in those list that are similar to Malaysia. We don't have Batu caves since its Indian, but Bali's old Hindu tradition and caves temples are nice. Malacca/Georgetown or colonial towns, not so much but there is some remnant concentrated in certain location, they just need to redevelop it first. Ohh and let's not forget the colosal temple of Borobudur and many other pre Islamic classical temples which Malaysia lack.

Nope, i mean Thailand is pretty developed compared to Indo and Phil but still are as friendly, its more in the society to be open/friendly towards a stranger. For example: how Saigonese tend to be more friendly than those in Hanoi.

The cities in Malaysia are more developed and planned, in Indo the cities tend to be chaotic and not planned. But some of the cities are nice like Surabya for example, its reasonably planned, clean and green.

It's not similar when you go eastern.
No, Malaysia doesn't, so we can agree that each country has things the other doesn't. My point is, if one can't visit Indonesia's more remote areas, Malaysia at least offers something somewhat similar.

Hmmm, Thais in Bangkok often aren't that friendly. Same big city attitude I guess.

Well, by Asian standards. The public transit in KL isn't as good as Singapore, but it's still better than Jakarta, I would imagine. Plus obviously, poverty and crime are worse in Indonesia than Malaysia. Malaysia is more culturally diverse, as well.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
No, Malaysia doesn't, so we can agree that each country has things the other doesn't. My point is, if one can't visit Indonesia's more remote areas, Malaysia at least offers something somewhat similar.

Hmmm, Thais in Bangkok often aren't that friendly. Same big city attitude I guess.

Well, by Asian standards. The public transit in KL isn't as good as Singapore, but it's still better than Jakarta, I would imagine. Plus obviously, poverty and crime are worse in Indonesia than Malaysia. Malaysia is more culturally diverse, as well.
Hm Thais in Bangkok are ok to me, i mean in Jakarta the people is more suspicious compared to those in the countryside.

Oh public transportation in Indonesia is terrible, you need to be local to fully understand all of its complicated combination (Transjakarta, KRL, Angkot, Bajaj, Ojek or Motor taxi). Jakarta is huge city with many problems and urban sprawl compared to KL, it's even worse than other cities in Indonesia. Although KL is receiving bad reputation for increasing crime because of migrants. But once you go outside of Jakarta you would realize that none other places really have that bad poverty as Jakarta. Also the crime rate of Jakarta is reasonably low especially compared to Manila.

In terms of crime and poverty you must see how populated Indonesia is compared to Malaysia.

Depending on how you view "diverse", Indonesia is much much larger in terms of cultural variety that is distinct from each different islands. Even when you go outside of Jakarta you would already see different ethnic living there, the Sundanese all speaking different language, and when you go further east you would see the Javanese again different culture and people.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Hm Thais in Bangkok are ok to me, i mean in Jakarta the people is more suspicious compared to those in the countryside.

Oh public transportation in Indonesia is terrible, you need to be local to fully understand all of its complicated combination (Transjakarta, KRL, Angkot, Bajaj, Ojek or Motor taxi). Jakarta is huge city with many problems and urban sprawl compared to KL, it's even worse than other cities in Indonesia. Although KL is receiving bad reputation for increasing crime because of migrants. But once you go outside of Jakarta you would realize that none other places really have that bad poverty as Jakarta. Also the crime rate of Jakarta is reasonably low especially compared to Manila.

In terms of crime and poverty you must see how populated Indonesia is compared to Malaysia.

Depending on how you view "diverse", Indonesia is much much larger in terms of cultural variety that is distinct from each different islands. Even when you go outside of Jakarta you would already see different ethnic living there, the Sundanese all speaking different language, and when you go further east you would see the Javanese again different culture and people.
Well yes, Indonesia is what, 7-8 times the land area of Malaysia, and naturally has more indigenous diversity (although East Malaysia is similar to Kalimantan in some regards), but my point is, most tourists do not venture to most of these areas, and only really Java, Bali and Sumatra is what I'd called developed. Java itself is no larger than peninsula Malaysia, it might surprise you to know. The actual area that tourists visit in Indonesia is confined mostly to Bali, Lombok, and to a lesser extent Java, Sumatra, Komodo, Gilli islands.etc. Kalimantan seems a lot less visited than Malaysian Borneo. .Of course it doesn't mean Indonesian can't boast that, and for the adventurous traveller, Indonesian does have that advantage. I would say both countries are worthwhile visiting.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Well yes, Indonesia is what, 7-8 times the land area of Malaysia, and naturally has more indigenous diversity (although East Malaysia is similar to Kalimantan in some regards), but my point is, most tourists do not venture to most of these areas, and only really Java, Bali and Sumatra is what I'd called developed. Java itself is no larger than peninsula Malaysia, it might surprise you to know. The actual area that tourists visit in Indonesia is confined mostly to Bali, Lombok, and to a lesser extent Java, Sumatra, Komodo, Gilli islands.etc. Kalimantan seems a lot less visited than Malaysian Borneo. .Of course it doesn't mean Indonesian can't boast that, and for the adventurous traveller, Indonesian does have that advantage. I would say both countries are worthwhile visiting.
Most tourist didn't venture into these area because they're not promoted, most tourist won't even know Borobudur if they never had visited Indonesia or if they're Buddhist. Personally i've never seen ads as big as "Malaysia truly Asia" or "Its more fun in the Philippines" ever done by the Indonesian tourism department. They have been promoting other places, but its only Bali that is the biggest... Java is about the size of peninsula Malaysia, there are issue of land ownership when it comes to development because of the huge population.

I already know that large number of tourist only go to Bali and Lombok (3.1 million out of the 8.8 million, a fraction probably also get to other islands), Java and Sumatra also attracts large number of tourist and lots of them are Malaysians.

Tourist also venture to Torajaland and Papua, also Sumatra and the islands of Nusa Tenggara. Tourist can see them and experience the diversity even if they didn't go to Kalimantan.

Kalimantan is less visited than Indonesian Borneo because all the other tourist went to different islands :P the government need to push the development outside Java first, East Kalimantan has seen growth but not as much the others. Oh and more forest reserve in Kalimantan would be very very good...

Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Most tourist didn't venture into these area because they're not promoted, most tourist won't even know Borobudur if they never had visited Indonesia or if they're Buddhist. Personally i've never seen ads as big as "Malaysia truly Asia" or "Its more fun in the Philippines" ever done by the Indonesian tourism department. They have been promoting other places, but its only Bali that is the biggest... Java is about the size of peninsula Malaysia, there are issue of land ownership when it comes to development because of the huge population.

I already know that large number of tourist only go to Bali and Lombok (3.1 million out of the 8.8 million, a fraction probably also get to other islands), Java and Sumatra also attracts large number of tourist and lots of them are Malaysians.

Tourist also venture to Torajaland and Papua, also Sumatra and the islands of Nusa Tenggara. Tourist can see them and experience the diversity even if they didn't go to Kalimantan.

Kalimantan is less visited than Indonesian Borneo because all the other tourist went to different islands :P the government need to push the development outside Java first, East Kalimantan has seen growth but not as much the others. Oh and more forest reserve in Kalimantan would be very very good...
Yes, obviously promotion plays a role, but Indonesia's political instability hasn't helped it either. Kalimantan lacks the Crocker range, caves.etc, I'm sure it's well worth visiting, and more wild. Sadly deforestation continues...

Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, obviously promotion plays a role, but Indonesia's political instability hasn't helped it either. Kalimantan lacks the Crocker range, caves.etc, I'm sure it's well worth visiting, and more wild. Sadly deforestation continues...
Well actually it doesn't lack that much, there's the mountainous part too.

Which political instability? Compred to Thailand its probably much more stable, there's no mass government protest or any big insurgency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or