U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:32 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,280,094 times

Advertisements

Malaysia, with a stop in Indonesia (not Batam) and Singapore would give you a broad exposure to SE Asia.

Hong Kong would be a far more Chinese-focused experience --though fun.

Enjoy!
S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 AM

282 posts, read 606,643 times
Being a foreigner to both countries, I'll go for Singapore! In H.K. common people can't speak or even understand English. Communication is a big problem in H.K. most of the time

Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 AM

1,021 posts, read 897,394 times
Inlcude Shenzhen and Guangzhou in your HK trip!

1. Singapore, JB, Malacca, Batam and Bintan.

2. Hongkong, Macau, Shenzhen, Guangzhou.

I'll go for number 2

Old 07-10-2014, 06:31 AM

318 posts, read 407,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
HK by a large margin. Singapore is remarkably dull.
Come to S'pore and I'll show you around, it's not as dull as you might think.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Pavement pounder is The Postman in disguise using a different username ??
Hahaha! apparently i am not the only one who think it that way.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:48 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Here is the lowdown. I am single, 37 years old and I am planning on spending about 8 days in Asia in March. Right now, I have narrowed it down to 2 places:

Hong Kong/Macau
Singapore/Malaysia/Batam(Indonesia)

I am more of a budget traveler, I usually stay in hostels or cheap hotels, don't care about shopping or spending money. I am mostly interested in good food, modern architecture, sites like Buddhist temples, etc and opportunities for good photos.

Please, let me know which one would be the best option and WHY. Thanks!
THey are both great cities to explore.

But, Hong Kong & Macau combination is just more stuff in general.

Singapore packs quite a bit as well though with its LIttle India, Chinatown, etc. adding for some interesting cultural diversity.

You really can't go wrong either way.

You might enjoy HOng Kong's nightlife more, but it's also expensive, which might be counterintuitive if you are on a budget. Singapore has a better 'backpacker' area inside of Little India, where you could cheaply drink in hostel lobbies with other travelers and such.

Hong Kong, you'd probably spend way too much going out...it's fun, but sometimes requires a bit of cash as well to be having the most fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or