U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:40 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
That Tajik style sounds almost European.
They are Indo-Europeans living in China anyway.

If you are interested, here are some videos of other "modernized" ethnic music in China.

1. Mongolian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUN7...81B370B3951EC3

2. Hui (Chinese Muslim)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV5OD1X75Ks

3. Miao (Hmong)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAE4tJbb24

Old 07-09-2014, 03:54 AM

318 posts, read 408,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
have you ever heard of jay chou? that guy is a legend in china and the asian crowd in america.
I've been told I look like him when in Asia . Don't know his music or anything, not interested.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
To be honest besides the Gungnam Style song, and maybe a few works of cinema, what korean pop culture icon has been exported? As for Japan, besides some anime, and electronics, and martial arts what have they exported?

The chinese have food they have exported to other cultures. They action/gangster movies are quite famous for its action sequences.
Maybe not so much mainstream America, but you'd be surprised how popular/big it's become outside Korea, not just Asia (from Indonesia to Japan it rivals western/American pop music), but it's spreading to places like Latin America, Europe, the Arabic world. I know an Algerian girl who's obsessed with K-pop and apparently quite a few there are too.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:54 AM

6 posts, read 7,967 times
Mainland China, its people and culture are well-known to be viewed negatively.
Both Japan and South Korea are developed countries and US allies, they are more modern and western than Mainland China. Japanese and South Korean products are creative, high-tech and durable. Upto now, most famous Chinese people of pop culture known globally are from Taiwan, HK, Singapore and Malaysia, with little from Mainland China.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 AM

1,021 posts, read 897,734 times
This is somehow I don't understand with Filipino pop culture. We have the American influence, we have the better "voice" than rest of Asia, great dancers as well, but we ended producing crap music, MTV's and fashion. We end up patronizing K-Pop. K-pop is now equally famous than hollywood.

On topic:
What Chinese lack is the resemblance to real western pop!

Last edited by kent_moore; 07-10-2014 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
This is somehow I don't understand with Filipino pop culture. We have the American influence, we have the better "voice" than rest of Asia, great dancers as well, but we ended producing crap music, MTV's and fashion. We end up patronizing K-Pop. K-pop is now equally famous than hollywood.

On topic:
What western pop? The trash we hear on the top 40 these days? God forbid! Well, the problem is the Sinosphere tries to copy the worst of western pop music, sappy ballads or say cheesy hip hop, instead of incorporating more traditional instrumentation/styles, like Indian pop. Like Teresa Teng for example.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 AM

1,021 posts, read 897,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
What western pop? The trash we hear on the top 40 these days? God forbid! Well, the problem is the Sinosphere tries to copy the worst of western pop music, sappy ballads or say cheesy hip hop, instead of incorporating more traditional instrumentation/styles, like Indian pop. Like Teresa Teng for example.
But those descriptions you cited are the reference to western pop success over the years. J-Pop and K-Pop are just following the trend which makes them more famous than chinese pop. If you put a specific culture/style/traditions on your music then you are not attracting the general market. Why would an American be interested to Indian pop for instance?

I don't say it's crap. As a music lover, I say otherwise. I listen to Top 40 up to this day (I'm an 80's kid) and I like how the music evolve. There is much more variety in today's music than before.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
But those descriptions you cited are the reference to western pop success over the years. J-Pop and K-Pop are just following the trend which makes them more famous than chinese pop. If you put a specific culture/style/traditions on your music then you are not attracting the general market. Why would an American be interested to Indian pop for instance?

I don't say it's crap. As a music lover, I say otherwise. I listen to Top 40 up to this day (I'm an 80's kid) and I like how the music evolve. There is much more variety in today's music than before.
Personally speaking I'm interested in more traditional world music than just American style music in another language.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Quote:
On topic:
I think China wants to make rules, and smaller nations want to follow rules.

If you understand this, you will see why China behaves differently in so many fields (economy, politics, arts...). They have a latent desire to challenge the west, ultimately

Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 AM

4,277 posts, read 5,170,394 times
I know a lot of people who love K-dramas (not any other part of K-pop, though). However, I myself prefer Taiwanese dramas to Korean ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or