U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 07:18 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,272,190 times

Advertisements

Residents leave honest feedback on feedback wall in Yishun | The Real Singapore

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/-malicious...095425270.html

5 teens charged with vandalism in roof graffiti case - Channel NewsAsia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Well you have to do something.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:12 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,280,094 times
As long as LKY and GCT are alive, the PAP will always stay one or two steps ahead of opposition voices. The introduction of GRCs in 1988 only a few years after the PAP first lost seats in 1984, was a perfect example of how the PAP changes Singaporean institutions with very clever preemption.

If you compare the numbers from 1984 to the last election, you will find that the opposition has made hardly any progress. While no doubt their have been gains on the fringe, most precincts were crushing victories. The election of Tin Pei Ling showed the PAP, that they can get anyone elected as long as with the right supporting cast.

Singapore is hopeless dependent on PAP policies and economic management and vote this dependency like clockwork. What is needed is a true drive for independence to be sovereign men and women. Singaporeans who have left Singapore are as a group incredibly well respected and diverse in their professions and hobbies. They are seeds which bloom on the fertile soils of other shores.Within Singapore, until the people take action otherwise, the people are beholden to the PAP and are so willingly for their dependence.

S.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:04 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,272,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
As long as LKY and GCT are alive, the PAP will always stay one or two steps ahead of opposition voices. The introduction of GRCs in 1988 only a few years after the PAP first lost seats in 1984, was a perfect example of how the PAP changes Singaporean institutions with very clever preemption.

If you compare the numbers from 1984 to the last election, you will find that the opposition has made hardly any progress. While no doubt their have been gains on the fringe, most precincts were crushing victories. The election of Tin Pei Ling showed the PAP, that they can get anyone elected as long as with the right supporting cast.

Singapore is hopeless dependent on PAP policies and economic management and vote this dependency like clockwork. What is needed is a true drive for independence to be sovereign men and women. Singaporeans who have left Singapore are as a group incredibly well respected and diverse in their professions and hobbies. They are seeds which bloom on the fertile soils of other shores.Within Singapore, until the people take action otherwise, the people are beholden to the PAP and are so willingly for their dependence.

S.
From the fact that you are able to even mention TIn Pei LIng who is virtually unknown to international community is impressive. It how you probably do follow closely Singapore politics .

As a Pink NRIC holder , I must say Worker'S Party need to be more hungry for power and be more ambitious .

Nobody knows what the outcome of Singapore's next election will be,
But I do hope my fellow countrymen make a wise choice .

Old 07-05-2014, 10:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,280,094 times
SIng Lady,
I think Singapore is the most fascinating countries in the world, one in which it is virtually impossible to be a bystander. One is like a yo-yo here, constantly going from wonderment to disappointment, from admiration to disgust, from peace to anger. I tell you, one can grow old there pretty fast.

Everything about Singapore is defined by the men in white shirts. They define the space in which the opposition operates. Thus far, I have been unimpressed with most of the opposition, not for their spirit, which can be quite wonderful, but for the every issues in which the PAP dares the opposition to challenge. there was one exception, JBJ's son. He was the one who impressed me most, but I was disappointed to see the paucity of his support. Had more savvy politicians worked with him, the PAP would have faced real opposition.

Singapore's political future lies entirely with the PAP. the most likely source of formidable opposition will come from disaffected PAP MPs. Until that happens, the PAP will let opposition concentrate into a few GRCs where they will be harmless in terms of national policy.

Sorry, I see no other possibility, save perhaps for an apolitical national hero to spurn the millions and hero worship that the PAP will offer for political change. But I have seen this on smaller scales and to date not a single young superstar in his/her field has positioned himself opposite of the PAP. Even former student leaders like Tharman are co-opted. The PAP is very clever, perhaps the best politically-minded applied psychologists in the world. Very, very formidable.

S.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:31 PM

4,870 posts, read 3,385,719 times
Perhaps time for the resurgence of Barisan Sosialis, the PAP's old nemesis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or