U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM

6,501 posts, read 4,082,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
English is and has been the mother tongue of many Singaporeans for ages.
I know this, and I know that my Singaporean friend Lynn is a native English speaker. However, I do find her accent disconcerting as she sounds like a non-native English speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 12:42 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I know this, and I know that my Singaporean friend Lynn is a native English speaker. However, I do find her accent disconcerting as she sounds like a non-native English speaker.
One of my mom's friends is Singaporean, and speaks English with a heavy Chinese accent, but her level of English fluency is on C2 level on the European Framework

Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
it is understandable because English is not the mother tongue of Sg, same with Koreans in the Ph (who's difficult to understand when they pronounce).
English is the "mother tongue" of Singapore (depending on how you define that phrase that is...English is the official language), it's the language that is taught in school, it's regarding as the primary language. Yes I know there are several languages that are recognized to match Singapore's strange ethnic divisions. But Singapore is an English speaking country, like the US, like Canada, like Australia.

Yeah I deal with lots of Singaporean's in work, they are my coworkers, I deal with all nationalities, some are easy to understand, some are not. It's bad when I can understand a Chinese or Frenchman or Indian (who are not from English speaking country) better then I can understand someone from an English speaking country like Singapore. Sadly, that's typical. Singlish is fine, no criticism here, it's a regional dialect, but it's not English. And I am not talking about calling an auto's trunk a "boot". There is only one version of the English language - that's the King's English. If they want to compete in international business, they need to learn and speak the King's English, proper English, as the rest of the world is.

Last edited by Dd714; 11-07-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
English is the "mother tongue" of Singapore (depending on how you define that phrase that is...English is the official language), it's the language that is taught in school, it's regarding as the primary language. Yes I know there are several languages that are recognized to match Singapore's strange ethnic divisions. But Singapore is an English speaking country, like the US, like Canada, like Australia.

Yeah I deal with lots of Singaporean's in work, they are my coworkers, I deal with all nationalities, some are easy to understand, some are not. It's bad when I can understand a Chinese or Frenchman or Indian (who are not from English speaking country) better then I can understand someone from an English speaking country like Singapore. Sadly, that's typical. Singlish is fine, no criticism here, it's a regional dialect, but it's not English. And I am not talking about calling an auto's trunk a "boot". There is only one version of the English language - that's the King's English. If they want to compete in international business, they need to learn and speak the King's English, proper English, as the rest of the world is.
I think another way to put it, Singlish isn't really English, it's like an English-Creole. You can also find it in the English speaking Caribbean and Belize, but no one regards the vernacular as English, but English-Creole. I think King's English is better called Standard English. I believe King's English is more reserved for the way the British Royal Family and the Aristocratic Class speak the language, the Received Pronunciation

Old 11-07-2014, 08:49 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think another way to put it, Singlish isn't really English, it's like an English-Creole. You can also find it in the English speaking Caribbean and Belize, but no one regards the vernacular as English, but English-Creole. I think King's English is better called Standard English. I believe King's English is more reserved for the way the British Royal Family and the Aristocratic Class speak the language, the Received Pronunciation
American English probably dominates.
When I traveled to continental Europe, I found most young people speak American English (or try to). Those who studied in England tend to use "British" accent

Old 11-08-2014, 12:24 AM

156 posts, read 233,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

Unfortunately, many Singaporeans would beg to differ. They uphold Singlish like a badge of honour and they defend it as though the country's identity would shatter into pieces without it.

People I have come across who insist on speaking in Singlish are usually those who feel extremely insecure about themselves. They are enamoured by how languages (for instance, French or Italian) can really bring out a country's identity and that's how these people misplace their pride. It's a case of "yeah, we have our unique sense of identity that's only found here!". Instead of brushing up on their brand of English, they fall back on something they have comfortably used since they were young. Nobody bothered to correct them, and those who did were promptly chastised for being uppity.

By golly, there was even a female Singaporean author who published a book on the 'marvels' of Singlish and defended its use vehemently. Given the current atrocious level of English in the country, this woman should be officially censured.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
American English probably dominates.
When I traveled to continental Europe, I found most young people speak American English (or try to). Those who studied in England tend to use "British" accent
You can confirm for me, but it seems like in China, American or British English is taught depending on the region? My stepfather, who is a northerner, learned American English, as did his son. All of my Japanese and Korean friends learned American English too. As for Europeans, it's split. Younger Europeans I play with on Counter-Strike use British terminology with American spellings. Like they'll say the "boot" of the red "colored" car. I've noticed the Swedes and Germans doing this the most. When I was in Germany, I found English publications there written with American spelling. Going back to Asia, let's not forget the largest American English country in Asia, the Philippines. My one Korean friend went to the Philippines to study English. Said that a lot of Asians go to the Philippines to study English on the cheap and because Filipinos have a very firm grasp of English

Old 11-08-2014, 12:47 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
You can confirm for me, but it seems like in China, American or British English is taught depending on the region? My stepfather, who is a northerner, learned American English, as did his son. All of my Japanese and Korean friends learned American English too. As for Europeans, it's split. Younger Europeans I play with on Counter-Strike use British terminology with American spellings. Like they'll say the "boot" of the red "colored" car. I've noticed the Swedes and Germans doing this the most. When I was in Germany, I found English publications there written with American spelling. Going back to Asia, let's not forget the largest American English country in Asia, the Philippines. My one Korean friend went to the Philippines to study English. Said that a lot of Asians go to the Philippines to study English on the cheap and because Filipinos have a very firm grasp of English
I'm not sure about now, but when I was a student in China, the textbooks taught British English (and the whole country had the same textbooks).
That being said, most teachers could perfectly speak neither, so it was always a blend of different accents. People from north China produce the -r sound in an American way, while people from south China often do not. So that makes Northerners sound a little like Americans (but still far off).

I used to read textbooks with British accent (as well as I could), but in college I changed to American accent. However, early practice does matter. Although I speak English with (supposedly) American accent now, when I read aloud, or give a presentation, my "British accent" can occur. An American guy actually told me I have some British accent.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:57 AM

156 posts, read 233,754 times
Quote:
Really? What about the accent that they're going to pick up? Have you ever heard a filipino say "go back" with a harsh emphasis on the letter 'A' just like it would sound in Italian? In fact, A good command of any language entails more than just grammar; it's also about pronunciation.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 897,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Really? What about the accent that they're going to pick up? Have you ever heard a filipino say "go back" with a harsh emphasis on the letter 'A' just like it would sound in Italian? In fact, A good command of any language entails more than just grammar; it's also about pronunciation.
Filipino english does have single pronounciation of "A" as "ah". Even Singaporeans don't pronounce it correctly etiher.

I would put more weight on grammar pronounciation. Singlish seem to lack both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or