U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM

12,288 posts, read 18,405,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
I hear it's a good place for backpackers. Vang Vieng is supposed to be quite a party town. If I was 15 years younger, I would be interested in going there.
A good way to ruin a country is to put it on the backpacker circuit. What these countries don't need is a bunch of entitled western kids looking for a place with cheap weed and cheap beer to party in, disrespect the culture, trash it out, and act like jerks. That does nothing to help development.

EDIT - oh crap I am responding to a 2014 thread. We need a necroposting warning! Who brings these dead threads back to life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 AM

3,132 posts, read 3,346,209 times
Not to worry old thread. A few changes since thread started > Van Vieng is no longer the back packer 'paradise' of Mekong River tubing while getting ratted on Mekong whisky and perhaps drowning in the process. No that was out lawed a few years back after numerous foreign deaths.

Never understood while many claim Laos boring. It is quite and there is no sex trade as in neighbouring countries, but far from boring. I ate some top notch French food there at a very reasonably price ran by French expats, great breakfasts with freshly baked French bread, great cakes, visited some very pleasant drinking establishments, swan in some wonderful water falls , enjoyed going down the Mekong by small boat, explored part of the mountainous Hmong country on foot and by bike, and very much had a desire to return to explore this little country further. Have yet to so, but three weeks was certainly not long enough not forgetting very easy to make trips from Vientiane (the capital) across the bridge into Thailand if seeking to 'up the tempo'.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:33 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,191,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Not to worry old thread. A few changes since thread started >
It is quite and there is no sex trade as in neighbouring countries
OTOH, there does appear to be an active slave trade in Laos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or