U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,842,870 times

Advertisements

Laos is almost never talked about in North America, Europe, or South America. Laos deserves attention, and worthy of a topic in Asia forum. Laos reminds me of a version of rural Northern Thailand, and Cambodia without any beaches. Laos is definitely not Myanmar in current situation of main events, and not to categorize to an oppressive country. There is never really any news media sensationalism of Laos, maybe actually a good sign because of negative media approach in recent times.

If there is anything you have to say about Laos, what is your current observation, and description to say right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,842,870 times
There is definitely justified proof showing continuing ignorance, and lack of foreign international attention towards Laos. Around 6.7 million people live in Laos in 2013, and actually 2.1 million foreign international tourists already visiting there. I imagine there is some subtle to quite noticeable Northern provinces of Thailand cultural influence penetrating into Laos.

A lack of news media sensationalism might be a good sign considering frequent pessimism evident in the news media. The situation in Laos seems stable enough for tourists visiting, including a growing economy, and beneficial direction of improvement. Buddhism is very prominent, and an abundance of ancient temples, and shrines. There is technically some French colonialism back in the past for some time, probably even more subtle than in Vietnam.

Is there anything else any poster wants to say about the current situation of Laos in Southeast Asia?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Laos is almost never talked about in North America, Europe, or South America. Laos deserves attention, and worthy of a topic in Asia forum. Laos reminds me of a version of rural Northern Thailand, and Cambodia without any beaches. Laos is definitely not Myanmar in current situation of main events, and not to categorize to an oppressive country. There is never really any news media sensationalism of Laos, maybe actually a good sign because of negative media approach in recent times.

If there is anything you have to say about Laos, what is your current observation, and description to say right now?
I think it's definitely on the backpacker trail, and tons and tons of backpackers descend on Laos all the time. I think the reason we (Americans) don't hear about it, as most Americans don't travel. But the ones who do, and they are off on a Southeast Asia trip, they'll very likely be going through Laos.

Having been there myself, once was enough. It's a quiet place. Even their big city, feels really sleepy and rural-like.

I think the reason there isn't much news coming out of Laos, is because there isn't much newsworthy stuff coming out of a small country with a small sleepy capital.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 PM

4,515 posts, read 3,095,891 times
Its a red state

Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 AM

147 posts, read 173,876 times
Laos seems mildly interesting, but doesn't greatly draw me. An idyllic, and for a long time isolated country with friendly locals with many different tribal groups, cheap...I hate the idea of tourists indulging in cheap vices in Van Vieng or whatever, who will invariably spoil a lot of it's rustic beauty.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:16 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
no direct flight except Thailand I think.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
no direct flight except Thailand I think.
and South Korea, Southern China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,819,482 times
From wahat I've seen Laos actually hasa heavier influence on Northern Thailand, than Northern Thailand on Laos. Or at teh very least there are way more commmonalites with Northern Thailand and Laos, than with Northern Thailand and Southern Thailand. To the culture, speech, tot he way the people look. They don't even speak Thai, they speak "Isan" which is basically Lao. They all tend to have a more "Chinese" look.Lighter complexions with rounder,flatter faces. Isan (basically the portionof Thialnd bordering Lao) is the largest as far as area, and contains a third of the population. Not tomention the Isan people who have moved out the poor region and work in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and other tourist destinations. Isan is the area/argumentI typically point to when people try to lump Thais as just being "som" (Thai for orange) typical of Southern Thailand. Northern Thais are basically Laotian.

Isan language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Isan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-11-2014, 05:37 PM

147 posts, read 173,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
From wahat I've seen Laos actually hasa heavier influence on Northern Thailand, than Northern Thailand on Laos. Or at teh very least there are way more commmonalites with Northern Thailand and Laos, than with Northern Thailand and Southern Thailand. To the culture, speech, tot he way the people look. They don't even speak Thai, they speak "Isan" which is basically Lao. They all tend to have a more "Chinese" look.Lighter complexions with rounder,flatter faces. Isan (basically the portionof Thialnd bordering Lao) is the largest as far as area, and contains a third of the population. Not tomention the Isan people who have moved out the poor region and work in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and other tourist destinations. Isan is the area/argumentI typically point to when people try to lump Thais as just being "som" (Thai for orange) typical of Southern Thailand. Northern Thais are basically Laotian.

Isan language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Isan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's because Isan or Isaan was part of the Lao kingdom, and was taken over by the Thais.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 PM

371 posts, read 284,293 times
I hear it's a good place for backpackers. Vang Vieng is supposed to be quite a party town. If I was 15 years younger, I would be interested in going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or