U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:30 AM

25 posts, read 57,861 times

Advertisements

I was in Bali recently, and noticed faint cultural similarities with Hawaii. Many men had tattoos, carvings looked similar, people shared some physicist characteristics. I believe Indonesian and Hawaiian are distantly related languages, but do Malay-decent people feel affinity towards Polynesians? I originally thought there was a closer connection to East Asia, but based on my observations, there's little to no commonalities aside from some culinary influences from china in Indonesia.

As an aside, I'm a hindu of indian descent, and was fascinated by the prevalence of Indic iconography and sanskrit names at the national level. Despite being a Muslim country. The Hinduism in bali is pretty different than the indian version though. For indians, the primary source of spirituality comes from the Vedas. In bali it seems to be from the Ramayana/Mahabharata. Perhaps this is hoe the religion was spread outside of India?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 01:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times

But Western Indonesia has a lot of influence from Mainland Asia, so the original Austronesian culture is not as easy to see.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 AM

Interesting. I wonder why there was little to no colonization of Australia and New Guinea

Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja2014 View Post
I was in Bali recently, and noticed faint cultural similarities with Hawaii. Many men had tattoos, carvings looked similar, people shared some physicist characteristics. I believe Indonesian and Hawaiian are distantly related languages, but do Malay-decent people feel affinity towards Polynesians? I originally thought there was a closer connection to East Asia, but based on my observations, there's little to no commonalities aside from some culinary influences from china in Indonesia.

As an aside, I'm a hindu of indian descent, and was fascinated by the prevalence of Indic iconography and sanskrit names at the national level. Despite being a Muslim country. The Hinduism in bali is pretty different than the indian version though. For indians, the primary source of spirituality comes from the Vedas. In bali it seems to be from the Ramayana/Mahabharata. Perhaps this is hoe the religion was spread outside of India?
Wow as Indonesian i've never actually realized it... but the migration of the pacific islanders to Indonesian archipelago is there and undeniabe, but i don't think we've had any that much connection and the people only recognize themself as Austronesian mainly. Although the Javanese and Balinese also are also related to the Khmers rather than Austronesian only.

The use of noodles is common in Indonesia and Lumpia, Nasi goreng (fried rice), tofu etc they're Chinese influence. Bali is slightly different because they retained their Hindu deities and old influence, the Indian influence on Indonesian cuisine is undeniable from the curries and spices. But Indonesia receive more Indian influence compared to Eastern Asia, you can see it through how the people named themself (yes even the Muslims) Aditya, Balaputradewa, Megawati, Pradnya, Wulan, etc. While Chinese is a more later influence that were brought by migrants, little is brought from the trade relation however. Estern Indonesia is off the Indian influence however, they're more tribal.

Most of the carvings are probably of the tribal animist culture that exist before Hindu and Buddhist Indian influence.

The Hindus of Bali or Java in particular are the more ancient form of Hinduism, it hasn't evolved since it first arrived as compared to the ever changing Indian Hinduism and the growth in the number of Gods. The religion in Indonesia also have been mixed with their previous animist beliefs, making it abit more different than the Indian Hinduism. You can see it in the temples of Prambanan and Borobudur, although both temple seems Indian by right the carvings also are different in a way because of it.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-11-2014 at 02:01 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 AM

4 posts, read 10,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja2014 View Post

Hawaian Polynesian more Filipino than Indonesian.
Chinese Indonesian more Chinese than Indonesian

Old 07-11-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetth Huang View Post
duhh

Anyway the tribal culture relation must've been the link to the similarities, the people of Eastern Indonesia are also affected by Melanesian culture from interbreeding.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:52 AM

318 posts, read 407,219 times
Yes the Hinduism practised in Bali is very different to that in India, it's not as rigid and there's no caste system. A lot of the pagodas/temples remind one a lot of Nepali temples though. Obviously, there are similarities because of their shared Austronesian heritage.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 AM

318 posts, read 407,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetth Huang View Post
What do you mean? Chinese Indonesians are culturally Indonesian, not Chinese.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
What do you mean? Chinese Indonesians are culturally Indonesian, not Chinese.
Culturally they're as Indonesians as the others, but still practice Chinese new year and thoser who are Buddhist and tiny confucious goes to the temple. But apart from those lingually they're very Indonesians and can even speak the local native language, some in Medan, Pontianak, Batam retained their language however. Majority of the Chinese are Christians too.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Yes the Hinduism practised in Bali is very different to that in India, it's not as rigid and there's no caste system. A lot of the pagodas/temples remind one a lot of Nepali temples though. Obviously, there are similarities because of their shared Austronesian heritage.
I attended a few pujas in bali; it's not a liberal version of indian Hinduism. It's a simplified version that seems to have interpreted different elements through hearsay (likely because indians didn't do the actual conversion of the population; likely indianized migrants from mainland SE asia). What is practiced in bali are the elements if the religion that most conveniently fit the local animist culture.

Regarding caste, there is a caste system (one can identify a Brahman, Vaisya, Sudra, etc. based on name). 90% of the population is Sudra which is perhaps why the caste system doesn't seem as defined as in India.

Finally, Nepalis are not austronesian. They are a mixture of indo Aryan, Dravidian, and Tibetan. Plains inhabitants are aryan/dravidian while highland are more Tibetan mixed. The architecture of Kerala temples is more similar to Balinese style than Nepali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or