U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:18 AM

6,730 posts, read 6,619,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Almost entirely because of behavior - not knowing how to act properly in a foreign country.

Loudly yelling, allowing their kids to sh*t in the public streets where people walk, not being able to queue in lines properly, not polite, complete unawareness of other people around them, etc.

Subway signs warn Chinese tourists not to poop in public - YouTube
The mainland has 1.3 billion people and many are poor farmers (or used to be) with little education. Therefore you will always see people with bad behaviors.

However, if you visit cities in mainland, you won't see kids sh*t on the street. Sometimes the stories are a little exaggerated. In mainland cities, public restrooms are much more common (though with undesirable quality). They are built and maintained by local government. Some visitors to Hong Kong may not expect the difficulty of finding a toilet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM

2,704 posts, read 4,677,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The mainland has 1.3 billion people and many are poor farmers (or used to be) with little education. Therefore you will always see people with bad behaviors.

However, if you visit cities in mainland, you won't see kids sh*t on the street. Sometimes the stories are a little exaggerated. In mainland cities, public restrooms are much more common (though with undesirable quality). They are built and maintained by local government. Some visitors to Hong Kong may not expect the difficulty of finding a toilet.
I haven't seen anyone sh*t in the street when I've been to the mainland, but I definitely have seen rude/pushy/low class behavior- and not just with the poor uneducated farmers- with lots of people, even the regular city people. I was appalled at the way people acted, constantly cutting in front of us in line, pushing us out of the way to get ahead of us when there is an issue (such as when standing in line at an airport customer service counter), loud talking and yelling, spitting, etc. It is a huge difference from other places such as HK.

Edit: I do want to add, though, that from what I have seen the general rudeness/loudness/nastiness that is so prevalent in mainland China seems to mostly be with the over 30 or 35 age group. The younger generation seems much different overall- much more low key and well mannered and "nice".

Last edited by jm31828; 07-16-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I haven't seen anyone sh*t in the street when I've been to the mainland, but I definitely have seen rude/pushy/low class behavior- and not just with the poor uneducated farmers- with lots of people, even the regular city people. I was appalled at the way people acted, constantly cutting in front of us in line, pushing us out of the way to get ahead of us when there is an issue (such as when standing in line at an airport customer service counter), loud talking and yelling, spitting, etc. It is a huge difference from other places such as HK.

Edit: I do want to add, though, that from what I have seen the general rudeness/loudness/nastiness that is so prevalent in mainland China seems to mostly be with the over 30 or 35 age group. The younger generation seems much different overall- much more low key and well mannered and "nice".
I've seen the pooping on the street on three different occasions. It's always the Mother with the little one, pulls the little one's pants down, and plop on the sidewalk. I saw it once in Macau (completely unacceptable in Macau, it was an obvious Mainlander), once in Zhuhai, and once in Guangzhou.

In Hong Kong, someone took a photo of a poo on the sidewalk taking place a few months back, and it quickly went viral. Mainlanders reacted that Hong Kongers were being prudes, and Hong Kongers reacted by saying they were going to make a public record of this online, by having many HKers uploading these images everytime they see this. Of course, this just made Mainlanders think that HKers were even bigger prudes. It went on and on. Last I heard was that Mainlanders went so far to discuss a poo on the streets of HK Day en masse.

My gut feeling is that a country with 1 billion plus people, it's just impossible to educate them on such matters, as they just continuously reinforce to themselves that whatever is normal on the Mainland, must therefore be normal everywhere else. China is the center of the world, type of thinking.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:00 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,626,130 times
The Chinese on the mainland holds three huge faults on their cultural shoulders. One, they are very selfish, and care only about their closest families and kin. Hence, they have very little sense of the civil society, or the general care for those who they regard as stranger, even if they are fellow Chinese. Historically, they are lacking in patriotism.Two, they are extremely materialistic, and despite great philosophical traditions, still worship material wealth to an extreme. Hence, their strength in entrepreneurial endeavors at their best, and corruption of all types at their worse. Third, they are careless, and so they follow the "good enough" yard stick for everything. Given that China is a huge continental size state, and has been unified for so long, the idea of "good enough" is really out of necessity. China is simply too large and complex to be micro managed. So, good enough is fine to get everyone through to the next day.

The combination of selfishness, materialism and "good enough" is why the streets of most Chinatowns and Chinese public restrooms are so dirty. This is also why China has so many corrupt officials and businessmen. Nobody cares about the country, the neighborhood, or the streets because nobody regards these things as their personal things. Civil society and respect for civil behavior are all very sorely lacking in China today. But the great thing is that the younger generation, born under more affluent and open times and are far more exposed to foreign ideas and better educated, seem to be much improved over their parents. But given the massive Chinese population, there will still be plenty of Chinese dirt bags pooping in public for decades to come. What the Chinese hate most is a loss of face, so the threat of recording the whole proceeding might be the best deterrent to such disgusting and anti social behavior.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,619,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
The Chinese on the mainland holds three huge faults on their cultural shoulders. One, they are very selfish, and care only about their closest families and kin. Hence, they have very little sense of the civil society, or the general care for those who they regard as stranger, even if they are fellow Chinese. Historically, they are lacking in patriotism.Two, they are extremely materialistic, and despite great philosophical traditions, still worship material wealth to an extreme. Hence, their strength in entrepreneurial endeavors at their best, and corruption of all types at their worse. Third, they are careless, and so they follow the "good enough" yard stick for everything. Given that China is a huge continental size state, and has been unified for so long, the idea of "good enough" is really out of necessity. China is simply too large and complex to be micro managed. So, good enough is fine to get everyone through to the next day.

The combination of selfishness, materialism and "good enough" is why the streets of most Chinatowns and Chinese public restrooms are so dirty. This is also why China has so many corrupt officials and businessmen. Nobody cares about the country, the neighborhood, or the streets because nobody regards these things as their personal things. Civil society and respect for civil behavior are all very sorely lacking in China today. But the great thing is that the younger generation, born under more affluent and open times and are far more exposed to foreign ideas and better educated, seem to be much improved over their parents. But given the massive Chinese population, there will still be plenty of Chinese dirt bags pooping in public for decades to come. What the Chinese hate most is a loss of face, so the threat of recording the whole proceeding might be the best deterrent to such disgusting and anti social behavior.
You also need to understand most Chinese people over 50 years old have suffered hunger and poverty. They could not even have enough food. The society was not fair to them and was very unstable. The policies could change over night and they could lose everything in another day. Therefore, they are always anxious and are afraid of losing "opportunities".

If you compare their behaviors to the behaviors of those who suffered the same, such as many Africans or Latin Americans etc., you will find they are not too bad. I traveled to Egypt before, and I found all the negative stereotypes associated with Chinese can be found in Egypt, often worse.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM

I also think China's history of having huge numbers of people, coupled with very limited resources from a traditional mode of production also contribute to the "Zeng Xian kong hou" mentality. In that situation, forming lines and being polite will get you starvation. hopefully, in another twenty years of relative rapid development and plentiful food, which by the way is an amazing feat on the part of the Chinese government no matter what you think about it, will ease these bad habits. The older folks with the bad habits will die eventually. But the peasants from the countryside are really uncool, and that is true the world over, and China is still 48% rural, which is roughly 600 million people!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:57 PM

250 posts, read 271,780 times
Imagine you give the poorest 10% of your population couple million dollars, what would happen? That is essentially what is happening in China. Instant millionaires who spent most of their life as 3rd world farmers. All of sudden they have the means to go all over the world and show how classy they are.

Imagine all the medicaid, food stamp, trailer trash in America all of sudden gets to travel the world, what would the world say about Americans?

Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,817 times
This isn't quite true. If you don't see that, some of your friends in China may have seen kids doing that on the streets, with approvals from their parents next to them. Even if there are public restrooms, Mainland Chinese may choose not to use them.
Quote:
However, if you visit cities in mainland, you won't see kids sh*t on the street. Sometimes the stories are a little exaggerated. In mainland cities, public restrooms are much more common (though with undesirable quality). They are built and maintained by local government.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:15 AM

3 posts, read 2,817 times
Latin Americans behave much better as as hispanics are full westerners by culture, in developing Latin America.

Viewing somebody negatively can be vice-versa. The Chinese also view Japanese and Westerners negatively.

Any other asian countries' people you viewed them very negatively beside China?
Quote:
If you compare their behaviors to the behaviors of those who suffered the same, such as many Africans or Latin Americans etc., you will find they are not too bad. I traveled to Egypt before, and I found all the negative stereotypes associated with Chinese can be found in Egypt, often worse.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:52 AM

What's funny is that when someone tries to record these street pooping incidents, the parents get very mad and start cursing and screaming. Clearly they know it's a bad thing to do, and they worry about losing face, yet they still let their kids do it. Sometimes they do it themselves. It's amazing how ridiculous peasants behave, and I am not surprised by the negative reaction of people from HK and Taiwan to the behavior of the mainlanders.

What's really interesting is that, living here in the US, I have never seen or heard of such behavior by mainland Chinese visitors. Maybe those who come to visit or stay in the US are a bit better, or maybe they know that "white" Americans would never tolerate such behavior. They are scared of being publicly humiliated by big white police officers and set back to China!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or