U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:09 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times

Advertisements

A place in India I would really like to visit is the Kerala backwaters region. Anyone on here have experience in that part of India?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 05:50 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I have also been considering visiting India at some point as well. However, I would only be able to go in the summer. I have heard that that time of year is the monsoon season. I looked with one tour company that had tours to a few national parks (I am most interested in seeing wildlife, especially if I saw a tiger) but none of the operated in the summer. I found another company that did offer tours in the summer to some of the national parks. For those of you who have been there, would you recommend going during the summer or are the rains so torrential that it would be an unpleasant experience?
Don't go in May or June if you can help it. The plains (where most of the tiger parks are) are stifling. I haven't been to India during monsoon actually, but I am planning on going this summer. It cools off everywhere by a few degrees celcius, but then it's also raining often. I know up in the foothills landslides are a risk, and roads and trails are closed off, but the flipside is that everything becomes very green and lush.

I'm headed to West Bengal (Kolkata) and Nepal, to hike around Jomsom and Muktinath which sits in a rain shadow. I'm sure there will be obstacles, but there's no chance for me to go in the fall or winter when it would be most ideal.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 PM

7,737 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Don't go in May or June if you can help it. The plains (where most of the tiger parks are) are stifling. I haven't been to India during monsoon actually, but I am planning on going this summer. It cools off everywhere by a few degrees celcius, but then it's also raining often. I know up in the foothills landslides are a risk, and roads and trails are closed off, but the flipside is that everything becomes very green and lush.

I'm headed to West Bengal (Kolkata) and Nepal, to hike around Jomsom and Muktinath which sits in a rain shadow. I'm sure there will be obstacles, but there's no chance for me to go in the fall or winter when it would be most ideal.
What about July or August?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
What about July or August?
Mid June, July, August, and some of September are monsoon season. I'm aiming for August, where the rain lets up a bit. They (July-August) are hot months, but not as hot as the pre-monsoon heat of May and June. Also, everything is really dry and dusty-looking from April onwards. The best time to visit India for weather has to be October-November, when the rains let up, the sky is crystal clear, and temperatures recede to below 30C during the day. That isn't the easiest time to go for most people, though.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Mid June, July, August, and some of September are monsoon season. I'm aiming for August, where the rain lets up a bit. They (July-August) are hot months, but not as hot as the pre-monsoon heat of May and June. Also, everything is really dry and dusty-looking from April onwards. The best time to visit India for weather has to be October-November, when the rains let up, the sky is crystal clear, and temperatures recede to below 30C during the day. That isn't the easiest time to go for most people, though.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 AM

3,660 posts, read 3,521,230 times
In India, Summer means May. June while July and August are considered Rainy Season. September to March should be the period to visit India. During July, August, National Parks may be closed due to Monsoon Rains.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
So early June is okay?

Old 03-06-2015, 01:36 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,521,230 times
No. June is very very hot and Forests are bone dry. They start closing the Forests/National Parks from the start of June/end of june depending on which part of India as Monsoon Rains hit Kerala as early as June 1st. October to March is the Best period to Visit India.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:29 AM

14 posts, read 9,719 times
India is not much expensive to stay. Anywhere in India is bit cheaper. Almost all cities you can find good and luxurious hotels. Usually,tourist prefer to visit Agra, Bangalore, Goa, Munnar etc.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
So early June is okay?
I wouldn't say it isn't, but it's a tough time for sure. Monsoon normally starts mid-June, but it can come earlier or even later. The issue isn't even the precipitation in my opinion. Rain isn't so bad, it's just that the heat is so unbearable during the last little stretch before monsoon that it's tough to spend much time outside. Especially in the plains.

Also, I would budget as much time as possible for India. It's huge and the kind of place you won't return to often. Can you only go in June?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or