U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,344,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
You are the first person who answered my question more or less! Congrats!

But Mexicans already beat Americans to immigration into the Philippines.

Chavacano Speakers in Zamboanga who speak a language of mixed Filipino-Portuguese and Mexican-Spanish and are descended mostly from Mexican soldiers in Philippine soil and they number around 1.2 Million while the Colombians who settled Palawan number around 700,000, and both population are mostly descended from soldiers or sailors.

Impressive since these guys came here in the midst of the Castille War or the Spanish-Moro war, in the middle of catastrophe or rebellion, not in the time of peace.

I applaud these guys because during that time, war-torn Philippines had a GDP lower than Mexico or Colombia but they still came anyway, conquered the Sultanate of Maguindanao and Lanao, pushed out the Sultanate of Brunei and converted the Sultanate Sulu but with significant Native help of course...

These people that migrate from richer to poorer areas give off the scent of nobility and self-sacrifice while people who migrate from poor to rich areas (although they cannot be faulted for their desire to survive) stinks of opportunism and only the desire to get higher in life.
I think the goal of a very vast majority of people is to get higher in life. This is especially true of Americans and the American way of thinking. Most Americans again, had no incentive to emigrate to the Philippines. There was no opportunity there to attract them. Still, the Philippines remain the country with the second largest American diaspora so it's not like it was completely ignored. Think about that for a second; people in most English speaking countries generally moved to other English speaking countries and have their largest expat populations in them. The UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand all have their expats in one of these countries I believe (I could be wrong, didn't bother to look and check). The US however has it's largest expats in what are essentially, countries with a Hispanic culture.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...

The religion question is not really that much of a deterrent. When my Hispanic ancestors sailed here from Latin-America, the people practiced Tantrism (Some were Buddhist and some were Hindus) mixed with Animism, yet we still managed to Christianize the people (And the gulf between Tantrism and Catholicism is so huge compared to the gulf between Protestantism and Catholicism) as well as Christianize or crush some Muslim states.
The religious question is huge among Protestants especially back then. It was such a big deal in the US that at one point Catholics were second class citizens. this in those days would have been a major deterrent for deeply religious Protestants.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Lol at the Negritos. And you've been to Angeles city? My friend is from there...

Many of the people there are descended from American soldiers who abandoned their families (At the same time though, their prostitute-mothers who have sex with American soldiers then to make anchor-babies to go to the US are also to blame for that)

Either way, due to the lust and carelessness of their fathers and the greed of their mothers. Those children of Angeles city have to suffer growing-up fatherless and stuck with exploitative mothers. It's never their fault to be born but they have to suffer anyway.

I know this because my Highschool classmate was one of those Angeles city-folks abandoned by their American dads and exploited by their Filipino moms.

But hey, they give great sex! So who cares about their irresponsible fathers and greedy mothers. :P

But not all of Angeles city is like that though. There is a good portion of them who are good folks, them sane neighbors type of people.
The Negritos are descended from the first people who settled in what is now the Philippines and despite the gene that controls dark skin, have been found to be the most genetically distant from African people and so by extension, Black Americans despite outward appearances. These people inhabit areas where the climate isn't much different than many parts of Africa and if indeed are the descendants of those who first migrated, they would have had no reason to change outward appearances all that much as the extra melanin would be beneficial.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:00 PM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
This seems like such a ridiculous notion.

Why would the US, in those periods a giant magnet for incoming immigration due to the great number of jobs and the abundance of open land, have been a mass exporter of people to anywhere at all? It especially doesn't make much sense to do so to the Philippines. Why would you travel that far away to such an incredibly different climate and culture which doesn't exactly have a huge bounty of land, jobs, or riches? This question just seems so plainly idiotic that I'm not sure what to make of it.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,540 times
Default Rohan Shinde .... no.

Rohan Shinde, while that sounds a bit less obnoxious, it still presumes that you personally know "most Americans" and are in touch with why they travel.

I'm 61 and I've been traveling ... well... I'm no "expert," but let's say, for a good while. (Double digits.)

Rohan, times have changed.
You actually have programers moving to INDIA for job opportunities.
China is full of American and international job hunters. (Well, not, "full" ... but far more than we ever expected.)

Our toilets flush well, but we vie for being THE most dysfunctional country on the planet right now. There are more Americans giving up their citizenship than ever before. People actually search for deeper aspects of being than flushing toilets. Some even welcome the adventure of a bit of hardship in return for greater connections with people and less fear and resentment.

The "English Teacher" industry alone discounts your statement.
People who travel to foreign countries receive lousy pay under sometimes stressful conditions... but they gladly accept it because they like experiencing living with (not above) the culture they've chosen.

I do agree with some of your sentiment.
I left two friends who traveled to Southeast Asia with me a year ago. One is still there. I'd seen the place 40 years ago and found it lacking today. I couldn't see the worth in exchanging their rudeness for American rudeness. Our toilets are better too. So is our toilet paper. But ... they do love each other more than we love each other. That alone is enough to bring up inner reflections.

Why do we travel?
What do we learn ... and what do we fail to learn?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Oh, and Rohan Shinde ....

Rohan Shinde ... there's more.
Perhaps if you worded your post better I could understand you better?

(I seriously hope your resume doesn't look like your posts.. perhaps that's why you need to travel to a, "banana republic" for a job?)

Your words Rohan ... your words.
... and you call me, "obnoxious and presumptuous?? Really??

Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Default Gentoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The Negritos are descended from the first people who settled in what is now the Philippines and despite the gene that controls dark skin, have been found to be the most genetically distant from African people and so by extension, Black Americans despite outward appearances. These people inhabit areas where the climate isn't much different than many parts of Africa and if indeed are the descendants of those who first migrated, they would have had no reason to change outward appearances all that much as the extra melanin would be beneficial.
I'm not sure I understand your point.
From what I've learned, every group has the same span of genes.
It's "Nature's" way of insuring that should a catastrophe occur, the Human Race would continue.

(Oh and your comment about your ancestors not traveling was hopefully a joke? If you are indeed black, your ancestors walked out of Africa and peopled the world. We all have one common ancestor. Everyone on the planet. We're not elephants and tiger and bears. We're different ethnic types and cultures.)

As far as being "distant from Africans"... that alone refutes your statement... but ... "Africans" comprise a huge and varied genetic pool. Surely you jest?

Please take a moment to view the Journey of Man.
It's the most tame of all historians who've researched "The Great Migration" of mankind.

Spencer Wells - The journey of man ( Part 1 of 13) - A Genetic Odyssey - YouTube

Old 07-24-2014, 02:54 PM

Default Please forgive me for getting off topic

I apologize to the OP and the thread if I'm slowly getting off topic.
I promise I'll try to stay on topic if I post again... but I'd like to address the statements made by Gentoo and insinuated by others.

Gentoo (as in, Gen X or Gen Next?)... this also addresses your statement about the Negritos and genetics:

(I hope you've also encountered Dr. Ben and Dr. John Henrik Clarke? It's sad that these scholars are labeled, "Black Historians" because we all need to have a truer version of the world. The present white-washing appears to be driving far too many people of all ethnic backgrounds stark raving crazy.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8knYy25ufE

My core message is that the true blessing in life is to be you. Regardless of what color of hair you have or what flag waves over your nation. The power of life is to first embrace and love yourself totally... and with that power, we're able to experience the planet in all it's glory and have those rich relationships and experiences we crave for... stories to tell our grandchildren as they sit listening.

Sorry if I'm coming off presumptuous to some people. (Others like the messages.)

Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM

8,619 posts, read 8,523,848 times
Maybe 'cause it's to flipping hot there!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point.
From what I've learned, every group has the same span of genes.
It's "Nature's" way of insuring that should a catastrophe occur, the Human Race would continue.

(Oh and your comment about your ancestors not traveling was hopefully a joke? If you are indeed black, your ancestors walked out of Africa and peopled the world. We all have one common ancestor. Everyone on the planet. We're not elephants and tiger and bears. We're different ethnic types and cultures.)

As far as being "distant from Africans"... that alone refutes your statement... but ... "Africans" comprise a huge and varied genetic pool. Surely you jest?

Please take a moment to view the Journey of Man.
It's the most tame of all historians who've researched "The Great Migration" of mankind.

Spencer Wells - The journey of man ( Part 1 of 13) - A Genetic Odyssey - YouTube
The hell??? I never said the words ancestors and travelling together at all! Firstly, humans are a species, not a race despite how popular that phrase is.

Before I entertain your reply, I need to know if it's worth my time. You do unerstand that there are certain genetic differences between populations right (as small as they may be) and that through DNA sequencing and testing, we can determine which populations are closer to others? Where the hell in my post did I talk about elephants, tigers or bears???

Your entire reply is all over the place and is not in response to much of anything I have said despite you addressing me. How did that happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or