Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM

546 posts, read 569,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think, like others have said that there was no incentive for Americans to emigrate to the Philippines. The US was a fledgling nation back then with huge amounts of vacant land. It was a place attracting immigrants. It was the land of opportunity. Even today, Americans generally don't emigrate much. Mexico has the largest American diaspora at around one million. I believe the Philippines may contain the second largest at around 200,000.
You are the first person who answered my question more or less! Congrats!

But Mexicans already beat Americans to immigration into the Philippines.

Chavacano Speakers in Zamboanga who speak a language of mixed Filipino-Portuguese and Mexican-Spanish and are descended mostly from Mexican soldiers in Philippine soil and they number around 1.2 Million while the Colombians who settled Palawan number around 700,000, and both population are mostly descended from soldiers or sailors.

Impressive since these guys came here in the midst of the Castille War or the Spanish-Moro war, in the middle of catastrophe or rebellion, not in the time of peace.

I applaud these guys because during that time, war-torn Philippines had a GDP lower than Mexico or Colombia but they still came anyway, conquered the Sultanate of Maguindanao and Lanao, pushed out the Sultanate of Brunei and converted the Sultanate Sulu but with significant Native help of course...

These people that migrate from richer to poorer areas give off the scent of nobility and self-sacrifice while people who migrate from poor to rich areas (although they cannot be faulted for their desire to survive) stinks of opportunism and only the desire to get higher in life.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Lol it's so funny how these Colombians or Mexicans who never colonized the Philippines but rather sailed here as defending soldiers in the Castille War or the Spanish-Moro war outnumber the Americans which is the Philippines' colonizer.
SPAIN was your COLONIZER. The reason you have people who were also once living in Mexico or Colombia, it's 100% because SPAIN was your colonizer and people in the SPANISH lands were moving around the SPANISH lands.

It WASN'T the United States' lands!!! The USA was a DIFFERENT LAND being colonized by the British (predominately) and the Philippines, Mexico and Colombia was being colonized by SPAIN. (That's why Colombians and Mexicans speak SPANISH). That's why Spanish found a grounding in the Philippines, because SPAIN was in the Philippines throughout the majority of the colonizing era that Europe was doing.

The U.S. simply 'won' the Philippines after centuries of SPAIN rule...and the U.S. didn't really even own the Philppines all that long, PLUS it was in a different time era, on and on.

Main Point being = SPAIN was your COLONIZER....and ENGLAND was the predominate COLONIZER of the U.S.

The U.S. wasn't a colonizer...it wasn't in Europe...the U.S. was a colonizED country, not a colonizING country back in that time era.

The 1900s, when the U.S. 'won' the Philippines...the 'colonizing' of countries was basically a thing of the past, and by that era, almost everywhere in the world was already basically colonized and carved and established as nation-states. It was a completely different era when the U.S. 'won' the Philippines from Spain, after centuries of SPAIN being your colonizer (not the U.S.)

Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,132 times
Default by the way..

Oh, by the way, you're aware of the original "settler" of the Philippines?
I remember being in a bar in Angeles, and saw several black bar girls sitting on G.I.'s laps.

I'd been to Thailand earlier and knew the deal ... but during Vietnam, the only black women I saw were American military personnel.

So when I saw these women, my immediate thought was... "Does the base commander know about THIS!?!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf0A7YqFPPs

Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I was imprecise with my use of the pastt ense at the start, but that is my point. At the time arable land in the Phiippines was probably more expensive than in parts of the continental US, and the Catholic majority would have meant most of the people in the US who were wlling to move to new areas would be out of step with majority religiously.

After putting more thought in this I also wonder to what extent American soldiers and officials did intermarry with the locals but simply returned to the US with their wife and kids afer their stint in the Philippines was done.
Hmmm...

The religion question is not really that much of a deterrent. When my Hispanic ancestors sailed here from Latin-America, the people practiced Tantrism (Some were Buddhist and some were Hindus) mixed with Animism, yet we still managed to Christianize the people (And the gulf between Tantrism and Catholicism is so huge compared to the gulf between Protestantism and Catholicism) as well as Christianize or crush some Muslim states.

Also, I think the means for land distribution was different. In here, or in Spanish colonies in general, the reward system for military service was a land grant in the conquered area (that's something Spain copied from the Roman Empire)...

So the soldiers that came from Latin-America or Spain, that helped in the Christianization of the Philippines actually settled in the Philippines, since their new land was their actual reward.

That's why my father's side who were formally Hidalgos (Knights) became hereditary owners of the Encomienda of Nueva Ecija because the land we waged war in, eventually became the land we settled in.

Whereas in America's case, the soldiers that came didn't settle in the Philippines, they were indeed temporary types and eventually went back to America.

Is this difference between the Spanish [Roman] system and American [Modern] system, the primary reason why there were lots of Spaniards and Latin-Americans in Philippine soil but very little Americans?

Last edited by Selurong; 07-24-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Oh, by the way, you're aware of the original "settler" of the Philippines?
I remember being in a bar in Angeles, and saw several black bar girls sitting on G.I.'s laps.

I'd been to Thailand earlier and knew the deal ... but during Vietnam, the only black women I saw were American military personnel.

So when I saw these women, my immediate thought was... "Does the base commander know about THIS!?!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf0A7YqFPPs

Lol at the Negritos. And you've been to Angeles city? My friend is from there...

Many of the people there are descended from American soldiers who abandoned their families (At the same time though, their prostitute-mothers who have sex with American soldiers then to make anchor-babies to go to the US are also to blame for that)

Either way, due to the lust and carelessness of their fathers and the greed of their mothers. Those children of Angeles city have to suffer growing-up fatherless and stuck with exploitative mothers. It's never their fault to be born but they have to suffer anyway.

I know this because my Highschool classmate was one of those Angeles city-folks abandoned by their American dads and exploited by their Filipino moms.

But hey, they give great sex! So who cares about their irresponsible fathers and greedy mothers. :P

But not all of Angeles city is like that though. There is a good portion of them who are good folks, them sane neighbors type of people.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

The U.S. wasn't a colonizer...it wasn't in Europe...the U.S. was a colonizED country, not a colonizING country back in that time era.

The 1900s, when the U.S. 'won' the Philippines...the 'colonizing' of countries was basically a thing of the past, and by that era, almost everywhere in the world was already basically colonized and carved and established as nation-states. It was a completely different era when the U.S. 'won' the Philippines from Spain, after centuries of SPAIN being your colonizer (not the U.S.)
Does imperialism sound better? I wouldn't call it exactly "won"

Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Hmmm...

The religion question is not really that much of a deterrent. When my Hispanic ancestors sailed here from Latin-America, the people practiced Tantrism (Some were Buddhist and some were Hindus) mixed with Animism, yet we still managed to Christianize the people (And the gulf between Tantrism and Catholicism is so huge compared to the gulf between Protestantism and Catholicism) as well as Christianize or crush some Muslim states.
You are right (though the difference between Protestants and Catholics was considered much more of a gap back then). Still it is one more difficulty with moving to the Philippines for the Americans most likely to consider it.

Quote:
Also, I think the means for land distribution was different. In here, or in Spanish colonies in general, the reward system for military service was a land grant in the conquered area (that's something Spain copied from the Roman Empire)...

So the soldiers that came from Latin-America or Spain, that helped in the Christianization of the Philippines actually settled in the Philippines, since their new land was their actual reward.

That's why my father's side who were formally Hidalgos (Knights) became hereditary owners of the Encomienda of Nueva Ecija because the land we waged war in, eventually became the land we settled in.

Whereas in America's case, the soldiers that came didn't settle in the Philippines, they were indeed temporary types and eventually went back to America.

Is this difference between the Spanish [Roman] system and American [Modern] system, the primary reason why there were lots of Spaniards and Latin-Americans in Philippine soil but very little Americans?
The US did give away land to soldiers who served during its revolution. However, I would imagine that by the time the Philippines became a US territoy there wasn't that much good free land left in the Philippines that could be given away.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Default My God Selurong

Poor Selurong.
You had a good point going before your ignorant racism shown through.
Perhaps you need to take a breath dude.

It's total ignorance to deny the obvious history of the Philippines. African blood is not only present in those, "Negritos" ... but in you too. That's your history and apparently your internal, psychological and spiritual conflict.

And all this talk about Spain.
Sub-Saharan Africans and Arabic Moors RULED Spain for centuries.
That's how the Spanish and Italians got their "Olive hue."
(Hannibal camped outside the gates of Rome for how long? )

The Dark Ages were only "dark" to Europe.
At that time there were only two universities in the world... one in Timbuktu (Mali... ran by Africans) and the other in Salamanca (Spain.. ran by the Arabian Moors). Even today, you can travel to the Iberian Coast and see some of the very old, and very respected black Moor families still there.

When the Brits were finally able to overthrow the Normans (only with the help of one defecting Norman aristocrat), they used the knowledge gained by the Moors to create Oxford. Their intention was to never again become slaves. (Yes, the brits were slaves for over 200 years to the Normans... who used the same, "Divide and Conquer" tactics in use today.)

You need to read the tread about Argentina.
Perhaps you'll be able to see why some nations flourish... and others like your flounder.

(*sigh* ... now you're going to be all mad at me ... ... )

Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Rohan Shinde wrote:
Americans arent that dumb to leave their prosperous country for a banana republic where politicians make millions every day and the common man lives on less than a dollar
Perhaps your punctuation points to the answer of who is and who isn't, "dumb?"

Really?
Have you traveled much Rohan?

There's tons of "Americans" (people of the U.S.A. --- South and Central Americans are, "Americans" too) living in so-called, Banana Republics.

There's a LOT of ex-military personnel living in places like the Philippines, Thailand, and throughout Southeast Asia.

There's a TON of other "Americans" who immigrate to South American and Central American countries.
Every year, thousands of emotionally constipated "Americans" travel to poor, developing Eastern European countries in search of women desperate enough to marry them or have sex with their narcissistic, shallow-hearted, un-attractive behinds.

There are also many Americans who leave the U.S. to get away from small-minded people like yourself.

Americans consume 80% of the world's pain killers, psych meds, and illegal drugs.

What the hell are we medicating??
And people who have the most disposable income, consume the most!

We have a LOT of corruption here in the U.S.
And it's the highest in states that experience the highest degrees of racism. (Whenever you have closed systems that keep regulations and observance out, corruption flourishes.)
Our school systems and personal quality of life markers continue to fall. Why? Because the brainwashed continue to vote local rich people who don't respect them into Congress. (And don't give me that "Obama" crap... he's just a lawyer... a figure head set up to take the blame while the uber rich continue to milk us dry.)

What we do have is the rule of law.
If I pay my mortgage every month, no petty local official is going to kick me out and take my house or put me in prison (as in SE Asia) just to keep what I've built up. That's huge.

But when you look at our youth... the Attachment Issues... crime, low test scores, mental and emotional issues... increasingly we're becoming aware that those "primitive cultures" we've been thumbing our noses up at have the remedies for what ails us.

Too much to go into and it would most likely bounce off your noggin any way.
Get your ticket ready Ron ... there's a poor woman in Romania, Moldova, or Albania just waiting to take you for a ride.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
When the British first started coming to America, America's rural GDP was woefully low compared to industrial Britain's GDP.

Nope. You can take your damn insults elsewhere you freaking refugee.

(This only applies to you though, not all Americans...

Although most Americans are indeed descended from refugees or people escaping their home countries due to crime, poverty or political exile, but the refugee remark is just hurled at you alone, you troll :P most Americans are chill)
As a Black American, my ancestors were unwilling in the travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia