Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM

546 posts, read 570,205 times

Advertisements

According to the Newspaper the Philippine Inquirer, the Philippines will officially have a population of 100 million people on midnight, July 27.

100 millionth Filipino due early Sunday | Inquirer News

[i]MANILA, Philippines–By the reckoning of a population expert, the Philippine population will hit 100 million at 12:06 a.m. or thereabouts on Sunday. Be happy if your baby is born around that time because you will earn P5,000.
The P5,000 will be given in kind—not in cash—and will include basic provisions for babies, such as cloth diapers.
[MOD CUT/copyright violation]

Congrats Philippines!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-29-2014 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM

313 posts, read 531,815 times
Too many people and not enough resources for such a large population.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Too many people and not enough resources for such a large population.
But people ARE resources.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Why congratulate? Philippines is pushing for RH law which obviously aims to reduce the population growth.

The current level of PH population is already too much for a limited resources. Yes it is an asset by virtue, but the PH government don't know how to make use of this growing asset.

Among those list posted, only Japan and US are developed.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Why congratulate? Philippines is pushing for RH law which obviously aims to reduce the population growth.

The current level of PH population is already too much for a limited resources. Yes it is an asset by virtue, but the PH government don't know how to make use of this growing asset.

Among those list posted, only Japan and US are developed.
But all the up and coming BRIC countries which will lead the world's economic growth in the future are also in that population bracket. So in the achievements list, 2 of the 12: USA and Japan are developed, 4 out of the 12; Brazil, Russia, India and China are upcoming rising powers.

Indonesia, Mexico, Pakistan and Philippines, in developing stage and Bangledesh and Nigeria; emerging phase.

So 6/12ths of those 100 Million plus populated countries are either regional powers or world-powers or former world powers (As was the case of Russia or China, which may be a returning super-power in the near future)

So, 6/12ths or 1/2 of the group of 100 Million plus populated countries are respectable: i.e developed USA and Japan plus rising powers: Brazil, Russia, India and China.

And...

4/12ths of them are middle-powers: Indonesia, Mexico, Pakistan and Philippines.

While only 2 of them; Bangledesh and Nigeria are not doing well.

Hmmm...

To be part of the 12 disciples or 12 constellations of well-populated nations aint that bad. Considering that half of them are either current, former or up-coming superpowers and/or rising-powers and four out of twelve of them are middle-powers and only two out of twelve of them are in economic doldrums.

I do hope this meme of "12 constallations-nations", do kick in, sort to-speak, because the 13th nation which is most populous and is next in the rank, Vietnam is still at 89 Million and this will be 12 constellations-sort-of--group-of-nations for decades to come [since Vietnam's population growth is actually slowing]

So, in principle, the 12th member of the 100 Million club, the Philippines, should consider this an asset to be joined to a mostly respectable group of nations.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Now it's only a matter over how the Philippines can weild this vast population to it's advantage much as Russia or America weilded their large populations as an asset during the cold-war or how China made herself known as the Middle-Kingdom in the ancient era.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Now if only the Philippines knew how to take advantage of this, which they don't, then it would be good for the country. However, there's way too much poverty in the Philippines, and the government is too corrupt, so it won't happen. Also, what raw materials does the Philippines offer the world that BRICS already don't? You have oil and gas from Brazil and Russia, other valuable natural resources from Brazil, extremely cheap labor in India and an educated workforce, same goes for China and they have natural resources too, and South Africa has lots of gold and diamonds buried in the ground and an educated workforce. What does the Philippines offer?

Besides, your country has problems with pollution, especially in Manila Bay and Lago de Bay.

If those countries I listed, Brazil has the most potential to be an extremely great country, but Brazil has the same governmental problems that the Philippines has. The saying always has been, Brazil is the country of the future, and it always will be. I'm afraid the Philippines is destined for such a fate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
When a very huge part of your population lives in poverty, they are a liability, not a resource, unless the government manages the economy properly. The Philippine government has not demonstrated it can do that, considering your country is really lagging behind Malaysia and Indonesia.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 950 times
oh my. well well well...looks like we have a seer here. so absolute in his words; so sure of himself. of course that's your prerogative. we all have favs and there are some things (in this case countries) we really hate which makes us partially biased with our assessment. anyway, i'll leave you to your views, no matter how shallow and linear.

i'd like to point out though that your 'lagging' point is very incorrect. as a trader, i have to follow the economic news a lot. and no, they are not lagging. they may be still behind those two countries you mentioned but they are catching up, not lagging.

TBH, it looks like your assessment is 3-4 years old. it's either you are lagging behind what's happening or you always fail to grasp some really important points in news, surveys, data releases, etc.

i do not mean to offend you. i am an advocate of the 'you are entitled to your views' drama; but I also despise misinformation.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Super power is so 19th century era.

We are all talking about "quality if life" now and not just being about super power, to which I agree.

None of the BRIC countries have very high HDI (or even in high?).

Now if we further congratulate PH once it reach 150M population without the improvement of the greatest indicator (HDI), then PH is heading to the wrong direction.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 PM

313 posts, read 531,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
They can be a liability too. They need housing, utilities, food, education, jobs.etc. Of course they're a resource, but most of the population is poor and many live in crowded, filthy slums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia