U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,392 times

Advertisements

Was there a few months ago for some development work. It was my first time but I did enjoy it and particularly the Robertson Quey area where I stayed. A clean country-city that enjoys it's strict rules on social conduct encourages you to act accordingly.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,351,483 times
Aoch92, I've never been to Singapore, but would like to someday! I do know that many Americans were gled to see that young American man who spat out his gum in Singapore was caned! (Sometimes I think we need that kind of law enforcement here in the U.S...)

Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,362,494 times
Singapore intrigues me. I read an article not so long ago about the Singaporean government encouraging immigration due to the country's low birthrate (and giving increased financial incentives for natives to have children) and it piqued my interest in perhaps attempting to live there one day, if only for a short spell, just to quench my thirst to live in that part of the world for a short while. I'm not sure if I'd be able to tolerate the climate though.

I have never been there, but I would like to go one day. I have heard from many people that Singapore is somewhat the opposite of the Las Vegas situation, Las Vegas being a city often referred to as "a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there". Singapore from what I've heard is "a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit there" because there is little specifically to see for the tourist. It's a very safe, clean and efficient country, but from a tourist's perspective, I've heard it doesn't have much to offer.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:03 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,204,793 times
Well as to the visiting/living thing, I think it depends. The city has some interesting museums and historical sites. Its not Disneyworld, but as an American you can definitely keep yourself occupied for a 5 day vacation. If you get bored prior to that you can always hop on a boat to Indonesia or the bus to Malaysia.

Singapore is one of the few countries that has a smart immigration policy. They actively seek out workers that they need in specific fields. I honestly think we should eventually adopt a similar type program, but that would be too intelligent on our government's part, so they won't do it.

Here's a list of the positions that the Singaporean government is actively trying to fill: http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/mompor...ills_List.html

You can also find just a regular expat job over there fairly easily. They are always looking for "foreign talent." You do need some type of degree and work experience for them to hire you.

Climate is pretty brutal but you get accustomed to it after about a month or two. Just make sure your place has air conditioning and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Singapore intrigues me. I read an article not so long ago about the Singaporean government encouraging immigration due to the country's low birthrate (and giving increased financial incentives for natives to have children) and it piqued my interest in perhaps attempting to live there one day, if only for a short spell, just to quench my thirst to live in that part of the world for a short while. I'm not sure if I'd be able to tolerate the climate though.

I have never been there, but I would like to go one day. I have heard from many people that Singapore is somewhat the opposite of the Las Vegas situation, Las Vegas being a city often referred to as "a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there". Singapore from what I've heard is "a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit there" because there is little specifically to see for the tourist. It's a very safe, clean and efficient country, but from a tourist's perspective, I've heard it doesn't have much to offer.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:47 PM

35 posts, read 81,564 times
I'm from Singapore and have been living in the USA for the past 11 years. Singapore can be a boring place to live in since I like the outdoors and Singapore has little to offer in terms of that. However, Singapore transportation (air, train and bus) are efficient and in expensive so that makes traveling outside of Singapore relatively cheap.

I wonder if any one of you who visited Singapore had a difficult time understanding their English (or rather, Singlish)?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the original thread.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:51 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,204,793 times
It takes a couple of weeks (maybe about a month) to begin to understand the accent. If they start throwing in random Hokkien words or phrases then it gets even harder to understand. However I picked up some of those after living there for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden.jade View Post
I'm from Singapore and have been living in the USA for the past 11 years. Singapore can be a boring place to live in since I like the outdoors and Singapore has little to offer in terms of that. However, Singapore transportation (air, train and bus) are efficient and in expensive so that makes traveling outside of Singapore relatively cheap.

I wonder if any one of you who visited Singapore had a difficult time understanding their English (or rather, Singlish)?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the original thread.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,837 times
Default Singapore sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
^^^ Yes I remember the Airport sign, I believe it had the outline of a man with a gun, and under it said "severe and complete punishment" for drug smuggling"

kind of like this one in malaysia:
And here is the Singapore version:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_katELwF6e-k/Sl...0/P7160066.JPG

Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,858,454 times
It's a rich country, very clean, very strict, very small (size and population), it's basically a giant city. If you enjoy dining and nightlife...it has a lot to offer. The people are very diverse from all over the world and English is spoken everywhere. Real estate is very expensive due to the lack of land.

Me: 21 y.o. United States

Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 PM

4,868 posts, read 3,385,719 times
Default Singapore

I lived in Singapore in the 1960's and have visited through the years. My wife is from there and is still a citizen.Singapore is a real success story in my opinion going from third world status into an economic powerhouse albeit somewhat diminished by the global recession.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM

6,436 posts, read 9,958,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoch92 View Post
Hey there,

Have you been to Singapore, or heard of Singapore?

I'm a high school student from Singapore doing a study on Tourism in the area. I would really like to hear opinions about my country - whether you have been to Singapore or not.

Cheers!
Aaron
Hey I'm so glad I found this question! This might seem weird but I actually just borrowed a book from the library just yesterday on Singapore and other asian countries! So from a high schooler to a high schooler, you got the right guy. Now for me. I've always known Singapore existed, I just never thought much about visiting. Until 3 or 4 years ago. I did extended study on the City-State and it's really a place I want to go to. For a week or 2. It's just really nice and I love the fact that it's a diversified country. I won't get random looks because of my skin color. That's always awesome.

I love the whole garden city reputation you guys have. I have never seen so many trees and lush green in addition to modern buildings and high-rises and the mrt and and things like that. That's really nice. I think Vietnam would look alot like Singapore if they fixed it up. I find it really incredible how much Singapore has grown to a first-class city in just a little under 50 years. It's really astonishing. The only thing negative I have to say about Singapore is it's strict rules and government limiting free speech. I think that should definitly. I mean if you live in a democratic country, it's citizens should be able to practice free speech. Anyway, it's a great country besides all that.

16 years old,
haitian-american
San Antonio, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or