U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 AM

527 posts, read 1,549,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoch92 View Post
Hey there,

Have you been to Singapore, or heard of Singapore?

I'm a high school student from Singapore doing a study on Tourism in the area. I would really like to hear opinions about my country - whether you have been to Singapore or not.

Cheers!
Aaron

Glad to hear you are doing a report! Good subject. I enjoyed my visit to your country. I like your tax structure, capitalist thinking, and the fact that it was extremely clean.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 AM

55,795 posts, read 74,818,248 times
i love it but you are keeping a low profile friend -- 117 posts since 2007. btw your profile does not appear to match your OP assertions at all re citizenship and origin.can you explain? also you said high school student from singapore ---- singapore does not have high school they got normal technical or normal academic after primary for 6 years. please clarify thanks.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-17-2009 at 01:16 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 AM

1,269 posts, read 3,424,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoch92 View Post
Hey there,

Have you been to Singapore, or heard of Singapore?

I'm a high school student from Singapore doing a study on Tourism in the area. I would really like to hear opinions about my country - whether you have been to Singapore or not.

Cheers!
Aaron
I travelled a lot in the 90s to the Asia Pacific region.
At about that time a robber dressed in a suit posing as the security manager of Marina Oriental Hotel robbed and killed a Japanese tourist in her hotel room, and a European man met similar fate at the Raffles Westin. From thence on I’m cautious when travelling to any parts of the world.

A couple years later I had an unpleasant experience at Omni in Dallas. Upon checking in, there was a knock on my hotel room door, and there were 2 men in coats and ties outside. They told me they were hotel security; naturally I refused to open my door and I phoned the hotel front desk to confirm why there were 2 men claiming to be security outside my room. It turned out that a hotel security guy and a guest wanted to search for the latter’s cellphone battery charger in the room, which had been serviced by the housekeeping department after he check out that morning. I showed them my cellphone + charger, which was the latest model at that time and not available in North America. They did not find their cheap charger and the guest grumbled why I took so long to open the door as if it mattered; he could not remember for sure where he left his charger in the conference room or somewhere else. Next day I completed my business for the day and cancelled my hotel reservation for the rest of the week and I moved to Dallas Westin. I did complain to Omni for their lack of professionalism and I’ve never used them since.

A lesson learned from Singapore.

Last edited by dougie86; 07-17-2009 at 03:10 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 AM

16,999 posts, read 22,333,324 times
Singapore is an absolute police state. If you value freedom you wouldn't want to live there.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,448,142 times
For crying out pete, folks, the thread was started 2 years ago..........the OP has likely long since graduated.

Let's move on, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or