U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:37 PM

318 posts, read 407,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Yes, indeed friendly. But you'll slightly feel that they have this little superiority compex over China.

I found people from China more humble though.

I don't want to generalize HK people but a close friend from HK admit that they are indeed rude. He responded to a sitaution like "this can't be happened in HK or else, people will kick you in your butt".
Yeah it seems Taiwanese and Hong Kongers often look down on 'mainlanders' as crude, unsophisticated, boorish etc. When in Alishan there was a group of mainland Chinese tourists, they weren't rude or anything, just very boisterous! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
In Malaysia, I went to fastfood chain and ordered fried chicken rice and potato wedge. They served it to me without any utensils (spoon and fork). I managed to get spoon but they feel sorry for not having fork. To which I said it's fine.

Then I look around other tables and found people eating fried chicken by their hands
Yeah fried chicken is usually eaten with fingers, although rice, mainly by Indians and some Malays.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:26 AM

10,421 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Quote:
Then I look around other tables and found people eating fried chicken by their hands
What do you expect when people eat fried chicken?
Would find it more odd if they would eat it with knife/fork/spoon/chop sticks.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
^ What are some differences between Thai and Chinese customs, Davy?
Haven't been to China yet and don't know Chinese customs well enough to compare.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Haven't been to China yet and don't know Chinese customs well enough to compare.
Yes it seems some of the differences I can think of...Thais using a knife and spoon to eat (aside from noodles)...I'm not sure what else, I guess it's not as Confucian influenced, but I think there is still some Chinese influence. I still haven't been able to find out what % of Thai vocab is from Chinese loanwords. Tai-Kadai was once classed as Sino-Tibetan. In parts of Yunnan the Dai have architecture, clothing, customs, religion similar to Thais, I wonder if that was a re-import into Yunnan, or if it's been there a long time?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Yes it seems some of the differences I can think of...Thais using a knife and spoon to eat (aside from noodles)...I'm not sure what else, I guess it's not as Confucian influenced, but I think there is still some Chinese influence. I still haven't been able to find out what % of Thai vocab is from Chinese loanwords. Tai-Kadai was once classed as Sino-Tibetan. In parts of Yunnan the Dai have architecture, clothing, customs, religion similar to Thais, I wonder if that was a re-import into Yunnan, or if it's been there a long time?
Would love to answer it but i really don't know.
One thing i know is that Thai restaurants always give you a spoon to eat, never a fork and in many cases not even a knife.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 AM

1,019 posts, read 895,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What do you expect when people eat fried chicken?
Would find it more odd if they would eat it with knife/fork/spoon/chop sticks.
See the cultural difference?

I believe Chinese don't eat by fingers (?). Though in Malaysia, I found many Chinese Malaysians adopting the Malay way to eat fried chicken.

In the Philippines, and all countries I've been, although fried chicken can be eaten by bare hands, still fork and knife is still being served in most of restaurants and fastfoods.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Good that you mentioned Thailand. I was surprise seeing Thais putting sugar and vinegar on their beef noodles. And it tasted so so good! One of the best beef noodles I've tasted is in Thailand.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Quote:
See the cultural difference?

I believe Chinese don't eat by fingers (?). Though in Malaysia, I found many Chinese Malaysians adopting the Malay way to eat fried chicken.

In the Philippines, and all countries I've been, although fried chicken can be eaten by bare hands, still fork and knife is still being served in most of restaurants and fastfoods.
Filipinos are getting too Western. I remember when Filipinos ate everything with their hands.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipinos are getting too Western. I remember when Filipinos ate everything with their hands.
When was it? During pre-colonial era? By the way, Filipinos still eat by bare hands up to this day, but only inside their house. Dining out is a different thing hence we use spoon and fork, even if its in a hawker type food stalls or we call it "carinderia".

In China, they believe that any animals/insects facing their back in the sky can all be eaten. Which pretty sums up that Chinese eat almost everything. I asked one Chinese about this and her response was something that changed my views to Chinese about eating habit. She simply said: We eat everything because we were taught to survive in every situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or