U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Reputation: 796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
When was it? During pre-colonial era? By the way, Filipinos still eat by bare hands up to this day, but only inside their house. Dining out is a different thing hence we use spoon and fork, even if its in a hawker type food stalls or we call it "carinderia".

In China, they believe that any animals/insects facing their back in the sky can all be eaten. Which pretty sums up that Chinese eat almost everything. I asked one Chinese about this and her response was something that changed my views to Chinese about eating habit. She simply said: We eat everything because we were taught to survive in every situation.
I still eat with my bare hands when I go to native restaurants like Mang Inasal or restaurants near the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2014, 06:58 AM
 
318 posts, read 407,219 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Would love to answer it but i really don't know.
One thing i know is that Thai restaurants always give you a spoon to eat, never a fork and in many cases not even a knife.
Maybe the fork is for the farangs...whether in Thailand or here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 AM
 
318 posts, read 407,219 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
See the cultural difference?

I believe Chinese don't eat by fingers (?). Though in Malaysia, I found many Chinese Malaysians adopting the Malay way to eat fried chicken.

In the Philippines, and all countries I've been, although fried chicken can be eaten by bare hands, still fork and knife is still being served in most of restaurants and fastfoods.
I don't know if that's the Malay way or just the way most people do it...I mean what, are they gonna use chopsticks to eat fried chicken? lol. Even a knife and a fork just doesn't cut it. It's the way KFC is eaten almost everywhere, hence the motto 'finger' linking' good!'

In Malaysia most non noodle dishes are eaten with fork and spoon or hands, aside from Chinese restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
If any of you have been to both Japan and South Korea, which place did you guys feel to be more strict?(Rules, mannerisms, etiquette, etc.)
I lived in both. Definitely SOUTH KOREA. They are very very rigid, they practically lecture their 'rules' with the preface, "IN KOREA, WE" all day long.

Japan/Japanese have rules of course, but they don't lecture about it. Either you are smart, and you just pick them up by paying attention. If you are one of those people who are just oblivious to everything, then you'll be socially ostracized for it.

I MUCH prefer the JAPAN way. But, I like the "subtle/picking it up by paying attention" method. I don't like the "club you over with a stick over and over" method of Korea style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
I don't know if that's the Malay way or just the way most people do it...I mean what, are they gonna use chopsticks to eat fried chicken? lol. Even a knife and a fork just doesn't cut it. It's the way KFC is eaten almost everywhere, hence the motto 'finger' linking' good!'

In Malaysia most non noodle dishes are eaten with fork and spoon or hands, aside from Chinese restaurants.
No way in Malaysia i don't see Chinese adopting Malay way of eating aka eating with hands.

It's common in Indonesia on the contrary however. (for the Chinese to do so)

As much as i love eating with hands, i found the food in Malaysia too wet because they put too much curry on the rice, its uncomfortable for me to eat with hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,194,238 times
Reputation: 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
But who is the person that should pour the drinks? The smallest one? The youngest one?
Usually the younger ones should pour drink for the older ones. This is also true for Chinese and Japanese.
It is a sign of respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,194,238 times
Reputation: 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
See the cultural difference?

I believe Chinese don't eat by fingers (?). Though in Malaysia, I found many Chinese Malaysians adopting the Malay way to eat fried chicken.

In the Philippines, and all countries I've been, although fried chicken can be eaten by bare hands, still fork and knife is still being served in most of restaurants and fastfoods.
People from South East Asia usually eats with spoon and fork. Spoon on the right hand and fork on the left hand. So you scoop your food into your mouth using the spoon.
Some people also with with hands.

People in China and Japan (Far East) eats with chopsticks and sometimes a soup spoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
People from South East Asia usually eats with spoon and fork. Spoon on the right hand and fork on the left hand. So you scoop your food into your mouth using the spoon.
Some people also with with hands.

People in China and Japan (Far East) eats with chopsticks and sometimes a soup spoon.
In Indonesia's case most of the people eat with hands even the non-natives, but at proper restaurant we do use spoon, fork and knifes.

But if we only eat at warung, we use hand most of the time, but of course it varies on the type of food like for example, we don't use hand eating wet food like Gado2 or Ketoprak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM
 
318 posts, read 407,219 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
No way in Malaysia i don't see Chinese adopting Malay way of eating aka eating with hands.

It's common in Indonesia on the contrary however. (for the Chinese to do so)

As much as i love eating with hands, i found the food in Malaysia too wet because they put too much curry on the rice, its uncomfortable for me to eat with hands.
I'm not talking about noodles, or rice with meat or vegetables, but fried chicken, that sort of thing. I've been to Chinese restaurants in Malaysia, people aren't afraid to use their fingers for fiddly things like say crab or chicken wings. Again what, you can't really eat chicken wings properly with chopsticks, and it's just finicky trying to pick out the meat with a fork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
I'm not talking about noodles, or rice with meat or vegetables, but fried chicken, that sort of thing. I've been to Chinese restaurants in Malaysia, people aren't afraid to use their fingers for fiddly things like say crab or chicken wings. Again what, you can't really eat chicken wings properly with chopsticks, and it's just finicky trying to pick out the meat with a fork.
Well i am actually refering to eating the whole meal with hands especially something with rice, to Indonesian natives or Chinese or the Arabs, a meal is never complete without rice. :P

Im not surprised if people eat chicken wings with hands or in many case fried chickens, i can't imagine eating it with chopsticks. Unless you chop it like you do in Malaysia or Singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top