Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,821,389 times

Advertisements

Proportion of inter-ethnic marriages almost doubles over past decade - Channel NewsAsia

According to statistics , white men are marrying Chinese brides in Singapore.. I think in china too.

And Malay Muslims marrying people of other races

Will their children face an identity crisis ?? That is my worry ..

To learn mandarin or Malay ? Or both ? If my mum is Malay and dad is Chinese ..

I don't know ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 PM

313 posts, read 529,959 times
I've met some 'mixed race' Singaporeans, Malay-Chinese, Indian-Chinese, as well as Malaysians, in fact my own cousin has a Malay mother (my uncle's son), although they are divorced.

I think Singapore's '3 race' trichotomy is probably a bit TOO emphasised (what do you think?), especially nowadays you have a lot of people who are not Chinese, Malay or Indian. Westerners and other Asians.

It's my understand there was recently an option for 'primary race', the father's race, instead of just having to take on the father's race.

Socially what do you think? Do you know many mixed-race Singaporeans? How do you think they are treated? I wouldn't think they'd face too many issues.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,821,389 times
I do not know many mixed race Singaporeans .. But as the numbers grow I foresee it will become a problem socially

Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 AM

10,640 posts, read 15,964,924 times
Kids (especially in a country like Singapore) pick up languages faster than adults so don't worry, the kids will be fluent in 3 languages, be happy for them.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Kids (especially in a country like Singapore) pick up languages faster than adults so don't worry, the kids will be fluent in 3 languages, be happy for them.
Quite a few non Chinese in S'pore have a working knowledge of Mandarin, actually, since it's like the 2nd lingua franca of Singapore now.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:10 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,372,002 times
I can't find much interacial marriage within Malay-Chinese-Indians in Singapore. But I find more caucasians (other Asians) marrying either one the ethnics of Singapore.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,063,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Proportion of inter-ethnic marriages almost doubles over past decade - Channel NewsAsia

According to statistics , white men are marrying Chinese brides in Singapore.. I think in china too.

And Malay Muslims marrying people of other races

Will their children face an identity crisis ?? That is my worry ..

To learn mandarin or Malay ? Or both ? If my mum is Malay and dad is Chinese ..

I don't know ..
White men will marry just about anything that walks.

Malay Muslims marry outside of their religion now? I thought that was a big 'no-no'?

I don't think anyone would face an identity crisis if mixed heritage. Generally what happens is they learn a little bit of both. In that situation, they'd learn a little Malay, a little Chinese, and since they are in Singapore, they'd learn English.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
White men will marry just about anything that walks.

Malay Muslims marry outside of their religion now? I thought that was a big 'no-no'?

I don't think anyone would face an identity crisis if mixed heritage. Generally what happens is they learn a little bit of both. In that situation, they'd learn a little Malay, a little Chinese, and since they are in Singapore, they'd learn English.
One can actually choose what language they learn in primary and secondary school, although one expects to learn their 'mother tongue' language. That's Mandarin in the case of Chinese (even if it's not the ancestral tongue of most Singaporean Chinese), Malay for Malays, and Tamil or another Indian language for others. However, you can choose one of the others regardless of 'race.' English is naturally the common language for all Singaporeans.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:51 AM

8,428 posts, read 6,810,624 times
The idea that mixed race marriage in Singapore is a problem is nonsense. Not clear if some Singapore people even know their history. Some examples of Singapore Eurasians. 1) Benjamin Sheares. Former Singapore President. 2) Edmund Barker. PAP Cabinet Minister. 3) Christopher de Souza. MP. 4) Michael Palmer. Speaker. Singapore Parliament.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM

249 posts, read 329,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I do not know many mixed race Singaporeans .. But as the numbers grow I foresee it will become a problem socially
It won't be a problem unless ignorant people see it as a problem and stir up problem. Racial and cultural mixing promote better understanding of each other which result in more harmony and a more advanced society. Closed cultures results in backwardness. For example ancient China at its peak in Tang Dynasty was multicultural with many different ideas flowing in and out creating an advanced society. The second they closed off their border to outside influence in Ming dynasty, China went on a downward spiral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia