U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,199,924 times

Advertisements

Seems likely. Traitional East Asian cuisines eschew dairy products while most things in Indian cuisine have ghee in them don't they? Probably pretty shocking to the palate and gut.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,205,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
My chinese wife loves indian food, but she hated it the first time she tried it. The first time we tried it then we went to an indian resturant in Tianjin and the food was subpar.

Next time I tried to find a really good indian place in Hong Kong and afterwards she loves indian food. They just have to get used to it I think. Also, a chinese person who don't like spicy chinese food won't like indian food either.
but Indian food has a totally different spicey flavor than Chinese food, Indian food seems to have more odd unusual herbal spices? seems like everything is spicey?

even the Indian tea has a strange spicey flavor added? about the only thing thats not spicey is the tandoori bread and tandoori chicken

even the rice seems to have something added to it? sometimes I can handle spicey food for a day, but then I wont want to eat it again for a long time, it's not something I could eat everyday.

the main Indian dishes I eat are the Vindaloo stews, the bread, and the Tandoori chicken and the basmati rice

Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
South Koreans are presistent.... they didn't really liked food from almost anywhere else apart from Korea, (and i don't really enjoy much Korean food except for their bbq or noodle soups) after my experience with them, it appears they don't like most Thai/Indonesian/Malaysian food... but i think the strong spices Indian used and the level of spiciness really do affected why East Asian don't like Indian food.
Koreans are well-known for bringing Korean food with them when they 'backpack travel'. I mean, EVERYTHING! Korean Ramen Noodles even, when you'd think even with Ramen Noodles, they'd try Thai (or whatever) style. Nope, must be Korean for the Korean.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
I introduced three of my coworkers to Indian food at a great Indian restaurant in HK in a trip a couple weeks ago. One of them liked it, one of them politely said it was "okay" but didn't eat more than a few bites of her dish, and the other openly said that she didn't like it, other than the samosas and rice. The one who did like it is more cosmopolitan and likes to try foreign cuisines, and the other two are much more traditional/conservative mainland Chinese.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 AM

318 posts, read 407,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Most Westeners seem to love Indian food.

But, yeah, in general, I've noticed that MOST East Asians do not. The ones who dislike it the most are the South Koreans. Which has always been puzzling to me, as Indian food can be very spicy, and every Korean is absolutely convinced that only Koreans can eat spicy foods. You'd think they'd make that connection with another food out there. But they don't. They just only eat Korean food only.
Yeah Koreans and Vietnamese can be rather insular regarding food, but there are still many exceptions. I've met many Koreans here, mostly younger ones.

Well spicy doesn't just equal chilli. Chilli peppers are simply one 'spice'. Aside from chilli, Korean food doesn't have the same spice mixes you find in Indian, Thai or Malaysian.

As a kid I didn't care much for most Chinese food, I preferred Indian quite a bit actually.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,205,573 times
I heard the spices & herbs are not just for flavor, the Indians also consider it healthy, kind of like medicinal purposes for good health.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM

340 posts, read 270,863 times
Depends, Burma adopted far more from India than Thailand for example. Hong Kongers are known to love foreign cuisine as much as any New Yorker, I don't think so about mainland China.

India is a large country, I for one like all the cuisines except for some Rajasthani dishes. I suppose we are talking about North Indian staples.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:55 PM

183 posts, read 210,120 times
I don't understand why all these non-Koreans are answering on behalf of us, but most Koreans I know LOVE Indian food.
I can eat Saag Paneer any day of the week.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
I'm half Korean. I love Indian Food, especially vindalu! for what it's worth my entire Korean side of the family loves Indian food. When we gather we go to Indian restaurants all the time. On the flip side my two Japanese friends love Italian but hate Mexican and Indian food and most of my white and black friends hate Indian food.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 PM

2,299 posts, read 3,397,122 times
People seem to never be lukewarm about Indian food; they either love it or hate it.

For some odd reason, my parents will always seek out Indian food whenever/wherever they travel. The fact that they are vegetarians is one of the reasons; but they are rather insular when it comes to food. Also, they'd rather get a veggie sub from a local Subway instead of checking out the veggie offerings at "local" joints.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 07-30-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or