Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 PM

317 posts, read 528,619 times

Advertisements

I love Indian food, it's one of my favourite cuisines, but my parents are from Singapore and Malaysia. My mum especially enjoys Indian food, and went there when she was young. As you know, Singapore culture and cuisine is influenced a lot by India.

Anyway, three times now I've been told by various people that they don't like Indian food. A Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese person all said they didn't like Indian food, when they asked what kind of foods I liked, and one I mentioned was Indian.

Of course, it's not all that unusual, but I'm wondering if a lot of people in these countries don't care much for Indian cuisine?

Is it mostly the smell? The appearance? The spices? The heat/spiciness?

Conversely I think 'Chinese' food is popular in India, but it's modified to suit Indian palettes. I wonder how popular more authentic Indian would be there. I used to live in an area with a lot of Vietnamese people. There were a few good Indian restaurants but I never saw any Vietnamese or Chinese eating there.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,412,592 times
Cantonese people generally can't handle the spice. they want to taste the freshness of the meat. Japanese curry is kind of bland. Indian chinese food is pretty good. So is Szechuan.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,365,857 times
I ain't an East Asian. I love some Indian food like Roti Prata (cheese), mutton curry, briyani rice and tandoori chicken. It isn't my favorite cuisine though.

One thing I observed about Indian food is that all of the food are mostly yellow (curry) or orange (fried) in color. And while I crave for curry mutton with briyani rice, I control my intake due to its high cholestrol.

Indians love their food so much that even when they are overseas, they still prefer eating in Indian restaurant.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 AM

317 posts, read 528,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I ain't an East Asian. I love some Indian food like Roti Prata (cheese), mutton curry, briyani rice and tandoori chicken. It isn't my favorite cuisine though.

One thing I observed about Indian food is that all of the food are mostly yellow (curry) or orange (fried) in color. And while I crave for curry mutton with briyani rice, I control my intake due to its high cholestrol.

Indians love their food so much that even when they are overseas, they still prefer eating in Indian restaurant.
That goes for a lot of peoples. I would Japanese people are a bit more likely to try new things versus Koreans or Vietnamese. Chinese vary a bit. Southeast Asians are used to curries and more spice, although Vietnamese is more like Chinese than Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian.etc.

Singaporeans are fortunate in that they have access to a wide array of both Asian and Western cuisines.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:00 AM

1,949 posts, read 6,433,345 times
I think most east asians prefer Thai cuisine better than Indian, because it's more of a fusion of east & southeast asian cuisines, something they are more familiar with

Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM

253 posts, read 652,965 times
It depends? My mom is more adventurous and took my bro and I to try out Indian and other foods. My dad is strictly Chinese, anything else is inferior. And, also depends on where you live. I grew up in NYC, so we had access to all sorts of foods. When I moved to MD, the only Spanish food that exists is Mexican. What Colombian? What Argentinian? What Ecuadorian? Kinda sad really.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
I love Indian food, it's one of my favourite cuisines, but my parents are from Singapore and Malaysia. My mum especially enjoys Indian food, and went there when she was young. As you know, Singapore culture and cuisine is influenced a lot by India.

Anyway, three times now I've been told by various people that they don't like Indian food. A Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese person all said they didn't like Indian food, when they asked what kind of foods I liked, and one I mentioned was Indian.

Of course, it's not all that unusual, but I'm wondering if a lot of people in these countries don't care much for Indian cuisine?

Is it mostly the smell? The appearance? The spices? The heat/spiciness?

Conversely I think 'Chinese' food is popular in India, but it's modified to suit Indian palettes. I wonder how popular more authentic Indian would be there. I used to live in an area with a lot of Vietnamese people. There were a few good Indian restaurants but I never saw any Vietnamese or Chinese eating there.
Most Westeners seem to love Indian food.

But, yeah, in general, I've noticed that MOST East Asians do not. The ones who dislike it the most are the South Koreans. Which has always been puzzling to me, as Indian food can be very spicy, and every Korean is absolutely convinced that only Koreans can eat spicy foods. You'd think they'd make that connection with another food out there. But they don't. They just only eat Korean food only.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 AM

1,021 posts, read 3,640,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Most Westeners seem to love Indian food.

But, yeah, in general, I've noticed that MOST East Asians do not. The ones who dislike it the most are the South Koreans. Which has always been puzzling to me, as Indian food can be very spicy, and every Korean is absolutely convinced that only Koreans can eat spicy foods. You'd think they'd make that connection with another food out there. But they don't. They just only eat Korean food only.
South Koreans are presistent.... they didn't really liked food from almost anywhere else apart from Korea, (and i don't really enjoy much Korean food except for their bbq or noodle soups) after my experience with them, it appears they don't like most Thai/Indonesian/Malaysian food... but i think the strong spices Indian used and the level of spiciness really do affected why East Asian don't like Indian food.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM

676 posts, read 950,392 times
For what it's worth, my South Korean girlfriend hates Indian food

Old 07-30-2014, 11:15 AM

4,701 posts, read 4,039,373 times
My chinese wife loves indian food, but she hated it the first time she tried it. The first time we tried it then we went to an indian resturant in Tianjin and the food was subpar.

Next time I tried to find a really good indian place in Hong Kong and afterwards she loves indian food. They just have to get used to it I think. Also, a chinese person who don't like spicy chinese food won't like indian food either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.