U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:51 AM

1,019 posts, read 895,028 times

Advertisements

Shame on me! I didn't know the answer as well.

Would like to comment here:
Quote:
I can't help but see Buddhist behavior in these people! So much spontaneous, live-for-the-moment type of behavior!
Isn't the behaviour more like Muslim than Buddhist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM

318 posts, read 407,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Islam is the newest "kid on the block" as far as religions, followed by Christianity, and before that? Buddhism?

I work with a number of Philipino's, and most of them are "devout" Christians, and so I asked one of them one night: Before Christianity was shoved down your throats, what religion was prevalent before Christianity?

She didn't know! My guess? Buddhism!

And despite their claims of being Christian, I can't help but see Buddhist behavior in these people! So much spontaneous, live-for-the-moment type of behavior!

Am I missing something here?
Huh? How did you make THAT connection?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 PM

221 posts, read 50,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Philippines didn't really have a religion except in the South.
Philippines was once part of larger empires like Majapahit. Pretty much it would get the influence of religion as well. I heard that there are some unearthed artefacts, just like Laguna Copperplate Inscription that shows us strong Hindu influence in ancient Philippines civilisation pre spanish occupation.

Majapahit and Srivijayan Connection: Pre-Hispanic Philippines | Local and Foreign Issues | PinoyExchange

Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 PM

376 posts, read 742,189 times
I know based on the history of religion that Existed before Islam, Christianity and Confucianism is Hindu - Buddhist. still visible to this day where the culture is very striking, especially Java, Sunda, Sumatra (non-Aceh) and Bali still has the influence of Buddhist / Hindu.is not surprising as in Java, many temples that are Hundreds of years old still standing,..

Javanese in general have a closeness with Sundanese ethnic because it comes from the same island. and have no connection or remote with Malay in malaysia even no cultural similarities with each other, I would agree Malaysian has strong close related with Minang, Bugis,Aceh and Brunei .
let you not be confused it's good you can read here:

Srivijaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Majapahit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History-Pre Moslem Indonesia

Javanese dance is obviously very different even do not have any resemblance with Malay .

Sendratari Sumunaring Abhayagiri - YouTube

Last edited by stevania01; 07-30-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Im quiet surprised Philippines also has its version of Ramayana... that makes Southeast Asian nation having their Ramayana dances with the exception of Malaysia and Singapore, well the Singaporeans one is more Chinese Ramayana:

And the traditional dress really reminded me those in Sumatra...

Old 12-19-2016, 02:32 AM

59 posts, read 31,883 times
Animism and polytheistic religions, and ones that made sacrifices to ancestors etc

Old 12-19-2016, 05:12 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Most ethnic groups in the world had no organized religion before the Abrahamic religions and Buddhism spread. There were just some beliefs differing largely from each other.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:17 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Philippines was once part of larger empires like Majapahit. Pretty much it would get the influence of religion as well. I heard that there are some unearthed artefacts, just like Laguna Copperplate Inscription that shows us strong Hindu influence in ancient Philippines civilisation pre spanish occupation.

Majapahit and Srivijayan Connection: Pre-Hispanic Philippines | Local and Foreign Issues | PinoyExchange
the inscriptions looks like those of Thailand and Cambodia so yes the ancient Filipinos, at least those in Luzon were probably influenced by the Hindu religion

Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,247 times
Hinduisim and Buddhism in Indonesia. Can still see these influences in Borobudur and Bali. History of Srivijaya and Majapahit empires confirm these two are the main religions before Islam.

Animism and Islam were the religions in the Philippines before the Spanish conquest. Hinduism and Buddhism also have influence in the Philippines but much less so. Manila was actually a Muslim rajahnate (religion is Muslim but had Indian/Indonesian influence in its political structure, hence ruler was called "Rajah") before it got colonized by Spain. Islam was present but not as widespread or as deeply rooted as in the Sulu archipelago. Present-day demographics of Borneo confirms that Christianization was still possible at a much later time even with the much stronger Muslim influence there.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:51 PM

4,508 posts, read 3,090,953 times
Hinduism/buddhism southeast asia should return to its pagan roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or