U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times

Advertisements

Best places to go in BORNEO! (Malaysia side or the Indonesian side?)

I haven't been to either side in Borneo. But Kuching (with all the cats) and Kota Kinabalu (as so many budget airlines seem to connect there these days - there must be something to that).

I haven't really researched or heard about any obvious cities that one should visit on the Indonesian side, but I'm sure there a few of them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 AM

376 posts, read 743,854 times
I never went to Borneo, which I knew nativ tribes Indonesian / Malays as Dayak,Bidayuh and Iban live there.
Borneo Indonesia is very large when compared with Malaysia Borneo very small, Indonesia have the West Borneo , North Borneo, South Borneo & East Borneo.

for me both have the best place , but more the best to Indonesian Borneo .. still very natural in the countryside and mountains

Last edited by stevania01; 07-31-2014 at 05:09 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 05:16 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,147,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I haven't been to either side in Borneo. But Kuching (with all the cats) and Kota Kinabalu (as so many budget airlines seem to connect there these days - there must be something to that).

I haven't really researched or heard about any obvious cities that one should visit on the Indonesian side, but I'm sure there a few of them...
Well if you wanted to visit Borneo (personally i've never been there, but i have friends from Balikpapan and Pontianak, i would advise to go to the Malaysian side instead, considering you like everything which is "developed" and less nuissance. In Malaysia you can get to beautiful rainforests, traditional villages and mountain (all in Kinabalu national park), although i heard Sabah is too "tourist packagy" compared to Sarawak.

But if you dare to go for an adventure Indonesian borneo offers basically huge rainforest jungles, and see Tanjung Puting, Kutai or Sebangau national park. Tanjung Kutai is undoubly very wild, there are lots of package tours that offer good insight of the national park and its diverse wildlife. Kutai Kartanegara is also quiet interesting, the place has one sultan and culturally is quiet interesting since the sultanate is established by Javanese instead of local people, but its a small town so don't expect anything much but its a good starting point to go to Kutai national parks.

If you are flying to Indonesian Borneo, try using Balikpapan airport, its new, big and nice, Balikpapan don't offer that much however its just a city like its Malaysian counterpart it doesn't really have an attraction. But its a good starting point to explore Kalimantan. In the central-west area of the island, there is still Hindu Dayak hidden in the middle of the jungle, quiet interesting, and there's plenty of traditional villages scattered around which is not as commercialized as those in Malaysia. Some people who visited Borneo also mentions Palangkaraya in central Borneo, although im not sure what you can do there. :P I suppose that's where you go for Sebangau national park, so chose one these national parks.

The western side has Pontianak, its a very diverse place with ethnic Malay-Dayak and Chinese living in town but its less developed compared to the East but like Kutai it have a sultan living in the city, the only positive thing i heard from there is people going to Singkawang, there's few natural sights there and beach, plus its a town that's distinguishly dominated by ethnic Chinese.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-31-2014 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 AM

18,567 posts, read 9,599,486 times
I went to Kuching on business for a few days and found it to be a pleasant small city. It's not that much of a tourist town though from what I saw but I could live there. Like everywhere in Malaysia, the food was very good.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,934 times
Been to Kuching. It's a very green city, but it's kind of sleepy for my taste. The mall near my hotel where I ate my dinners was so eerily quiet and empty. I asked the locals, and there aren't really a lot of tourists. Mostly the backpacking types, who want to see the orang-utans, rain forests, etc.

I've stopped over Kota Kinabalu airport a few times and also changed terminals there once (meant taking a taxi or a bus), but have not really went around aside from the airport. It seems similar to Kuching to me, just seemed like a slightly larger city. Had friends and family who visited, and none are particularly impressed. Most remember hiking up Mount Kinabalu, which is one of the easiest mountains to climb to such a high altitude. However, hiking in tropical weather is not exactly my cup of tea.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:36 AM

16 posts, read 17,623 times
The Western side is more famous, developed and visited than the Indonesian side. English is also widely used in Malaysian Borneo and Brunei.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Old 08-02-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentcemntl View Post
The Western side is more famous, developed and visited than the Indonesian side. English is also widely used in Malaysian Borneo and Brunei.
Brunei sounds horrible though, even my Bruneians mate say its extremely boring and tell me not to even bother with it.

I think we already get the point that Malaysia is more developed and easier for travellers.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:29 AM

16 posts, read 17,623 times
Yes, Brunei may seem similar to Malaysia for outsiders but in fact lots of differences.
Eastern Malaysia is also quite different from Peninsula Malaysia.
Borneo Indonesia may seem similar to Java for outsiders.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, Brunei may seem similar to Malaysia for outsiders but in fact lots of differences.
Of course, the language the Bruneians speak are more similar to Palembang dialect rather than Malaysian dialect of Malays. Except in Palembang they end lots of the words with "O", but its interesting that they have somewhat more similar dialect to Sumatra rather than Malaysia.

Eastern Malaysia is dominated by "bumiputra" and Dayak Iban ethnic seems to be most prominent, and Sabah has lots of ethnic tribes, although its major cities are heavily populated by Chinese like in the west. So yes the cultural affliation of both places are definitely different, not quiet the same. And its believed that the government of Malaysia has no strong hold over the East, since its apperently are being ruled by a cronical mafia that many Malaysian believed to be the richest man in the world.

This guy if i wasn't mistaken: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Taib_Mahmud

Indonesian Borneo is not the same with Java, both place have distinctive culture, And also even the climate is different since Kalimantan is closer to the equator with huge vast amount of jungle, while Java is overpopulated and is filled with volcanoes, rice terraces and plantations. And Java is fun for surfing.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-02-2014 at 05:49 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 03:07 AM

147 posts, read 174,109 times
Quote:
Yes, not as Malay/Muslim, a lot of natives and some Chinese, and more Christian than the peninsula. I heard from a few people different groups get along better in Kuching than in West Malaysia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or