U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live and work in HONG KONG or in SINGAPORE?
Hong Kong 55 62.50%
Singapore 33 37.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:58 AM

9 posts, read 15,233 times

Advertisements

Singapore's perception is they are afraid of government. Singapore's laws are strict and taken seriously by the Singaporeans. Now in HK, people occupy important roads and are not afriad of the police or government. CY Leung, Police and finally the courts all have said such behaviors are illegal and yet people ignore it. It is not illegal to swear at policemen in HK actually. The mobs who attack the protesters in consecutive nights are actually gangsters not undercover police, who some people suspected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
I have lived in Singapore for a year and i felt that i blended inbetter compared when i vacationed over in HK. Bigger expat community and overall open to foreign nationals
WHere did you stay in Hong Kong?

If you spend time on Hong Kong Island, you will see extremely large expat communities all over the place. Particularly pretty much all of the nightlife on Hong Kong Island.

I have a feeling you might have stayed way up in Mong-Kok or somewhere like that. (Which advertises for a lot of hotels at very reasonable rates, but few expats spend any time up there at all).

Old 05-09-2016, 07:49 PM

277 posts, read 205,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah. I think that's the reason why the tourists to Taiwan are usually left with nice impression, while the expats usually don't have high opinions of the city(and the country overall).
I visited Taiwan as a tourist and for work and I was underwhelmed if anything. It's a drab city, the tours and museums I go to keep perpetuating this premise that Taipei was only temporary makeshift city for the KMT who was going to return to the mainland in the then near future. The only real positive I could take from Taiwan was the natural and unspoilt beauty of the East Coast and arguably the most refined manners from a Chinese state/city. The Mainland is no doubt rough/rude/uncouth and I didn't find Hong Kong or Singapore that much better.

Quite frankly many of the developed/redeveloped parts of Ho Chi Minh City are better aesthetically than Taipei itself. The Taiwanese don't seem to like to dump some $$ into the city or just don't like mountain loads of debt? Taipei/Taiwan is definitely not a "glossy" type of city a la Tokyo or Seoul.

The more you live in a city, the more cracks you find and the initial excitement and novelty generally wears off.

Tokyo is by far the most refine in East Asia, hands down, it's developed since the 60s. My mate works for Toyota and does frequent trips for the past 10 years. The novelty factor has worn off, he now has 2 kids and quite frankly whilst still a very liveable city by world standards he still prefers home (Melbourne, Australia).

Old 05-09-2016, 08:15 PM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I visited Taiwan as a tourist and for work and I was underwhelmed if anything. It's a drab city, the tours and museums I go to keep perpetuating this premise that Taipei was only temporary makeshift city for the KMT who was going to return to the mainland in the then near future. The only real positive I could take from Taiwan was the natural and unspoilt beauty of the East Coast and arguably the most refined manners from a Chinese state/city. The Mainland is no doubt rough/rude/uncouth and I didn't find Hong Kong or Singapore that much better.
Interestingly, as Mainland China infiltrates Hong Kong, more Hong Kongers are opting for Taiwan.

Implying that the previous HK would have had more of the manners/behavioral issues completely in check prior to the handover. As HK loses that soverignity and such a strong resistance from Mainlanders to behave in HK, etc., It does seem more HKers seeing the writing on the wall for HK, and are looking at Taiwan for an escape from it themselves.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interestingly, as Mainland China infiltrates Hong Kong, more Hong Kongers are opting for Taiwan.

Implying that the previous HK would have had more of the manners/behavioral issues completely in check prior to the handover. As HK loses that soverignity and such a strong resistance from Mainlanders to behave in HK, etc., It does seem more HKers seeing the writing on the wall for HK, and are looking at Taiwan for an escape from it themselves.
Hong Kong even during it's peak during the mid 80s to mid 90s was never a well mannered society or refined but had some sort of sophistication. Most of those who could emigrate and were highly educated were almost all gone by the mid 90s. Today, most of Hong Kong's population are those who couldn't emigrate or newish immigrants from the mainland. It's almost always held a rough, in your face attitude, e.g. if you enquire about items you wish to purchase but never end up buying it they will swear at you (in Cantonese)

Having said all that it's very subjective as to how to assess how refined a society is, does one prefer that bullsht façade from Japan on a surface level? Many prefer this to the outright rudeness of the Mainland Chinese but time and more exposure to the outside world will hopefully improve this, at least in the bigger cities. I don't think we need the excruciating levels of "politeness" from the Japanese in general but simple things like queuing, no pushing and shoving, using toilets for toddlers and obeying traffic laws goes a long long way!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:41 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,272,710 times
Well i am already working in Singapore as i am a local, i dont see any appeal of going to work in Hong Kong

Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,272,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheklapkoktungchung View Post
Singapore's perception is they are afraid of government. Singapore's laws are strict and taken seriously by the Singaporeans. Now in HK, people occupy important roads and are not afriad of the police or government. CY Leung, Police and finally the courts all have said such behaviors are illegal and yet people ignore it. It is not illegal to swear at policemen in HK actually. The mobs who attack the protesters in consecutive nights are actually gangsters not undercover police, who some people suspected.
Truth, even our elections results reflect this.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:39 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Quote:

Quite frankly many of the developed/redeveloped parts of Ho Chi Minh City are better aesthetically than Taipei itself. The Taiwanese don't seem to like to dump some $$ into the city or just don't like mountain loads of debt? Taipei/Taiwan is definitely not a "glossy" type of city a la Tokyo or Seoul.

The more you live in a city, the more cracks you find and the initial excitement and novelty generally wears off.
Well you probably should have done more research before you visited Taiwan, it's not like anyone has ever suggested that it's 'beautiful' or 'refined'. Googling is just some fingers' work.

Besides I said 'usually', not always, and I'm not surprised that you didn't like it as you struck me as someone who feels very good about Australia and everywhere else sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Well Taiwan is indeed better than Hong Kong for living, plus the similar languages, the same script, cheaper price, and the (relatively) similar culture all make it a desirable destination for them.

Last edited by Greysholic; 05-10-2016 at 03:49 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well you probably should have done more research before you visited Taiwan, it's not like anyone has ever suggested that it's 'beautiful' or 'refined'. Googling is just some fingers' work.

Besides I said 'usually', not always, and I'm not surprised that you didn't like it as you struck me as someone who feels very good about Australia and everywhere else sucks.

Well Taiwan is indeed better than Hong Kong for living, plus the similar languages, the same script, cheaper price, and the (relatively) similar culture all make it a desirable destination for them.
It's not like I had a choice for a work visit....if I did have a choice, I wouldn't have visit the filth that is Taiwan, better known outside the world as the land of electronics.

Well, we in Australia do possess one of the world's best living standards. We don't have the overcrowding, the endless food scares, the natural disasters just to name a few basic things. We might only list "isolation" as a negative point but I guess that's just part and parcel of living in a clean, unspoiled and sparely populated land.

Mate, I've always had this impression you love Japan (well, most Taiwanese do anyway).

Old 05-10-2016, 06:01 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Quote:
It's not like I had a choice for a work visit....
Oh sorry I missed this part. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or