U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live and work in HONG KONG or in SINGAPORE?
Hong Kong 55 62.50%
Singapore 33 37.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Indonesia now exports many workers who work in several important Bid.such as doctor , managers, nurses etc to some foreign country and I heard that the delivery of medical personnel from Indonesia to Japan is quite high.
In Japan? I knew quite a few in the Filipino community, and Japan has a very rigid requirement set for foreign nurses, one of the biggest hurdles is a demand for a very high fluency of Japanese.

I pretty much never met a foreign nurse in Japan. I did meet Filipinos though, and no matter how well they were trained as nurses, the Japanese usually placed them in nursing homes for low-paid work. (On that same note, Japan pays abysmally low for nurses and doctors as well - even though most are always Japanese).

My personal feeling is that for Filipinos/Indonesians, Japan was kind of off their radar. I could see well-qualified Indonesians going to Canada, USA, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, The Middle East, but I'd think Japan would be quite low on the list due to the many restrictions.

Granted Filipinos do not equal Indonesians. But, they seem to have similar experiences when they work abroad in various countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 05:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,153,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In Japan? I knew quite a few in the Filipino community, and Japan has a very rigid requirement set for foreign nurses, one of the biggest hurdles is a demand for a very high fluency of Japanese.

I pretty much never met a foreign nurse in Japan. I did meet Filipinos though, and no matter how well they were trained as nurses, the Japanese usually placed them in nursing homes for low-paid work. (On that same note, Japan pays abysmally low for nurses and doctors as well - even though most are always Japanese).

My personal feeling is that for Filipinos/Indonesians, Japan was kind of off their radar. I could see well-qualified Indonesians going to Canada, USA, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, The Middle East, but I'd think Japan would be quite low on the list due to the many restrictions.

Granted Filipinos do not equal Indonesians. But, they seem to have similar experiences when they work abroad in various countries.
Japan was the first few major investor to Indonesia, many Japanese companies are well established here and occasionally send locals to work there. There is 25k Indonesian in Japan as of now working legally with additional 5k illegal Indondonesians, mostly working as professional, not maids.

There is also quiet number of records of Japanese getting married with Indonesians.

Indonesians in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2014, 05:19 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Japan was the first few major investor to Indonesia, many Japanese companies are well established here and occasionally send locals to work there. There is 25k Indonesian in Japan as of now working legally with additional 5k illegal Indondonesians, mostly working as professional, not maids.

There is also quiet number of records of Japanese getting married with Indonesians.

Indonesians in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Japan doesn't hire foreign maids. (That's Hong Kong & Singapore & The Middle East that does that).

I'm basically questioning the Indonesian nurses.

Professionals is something completely different, and I'm not questioning that. I was simply questioning the "Medical Personnel' if that implies nurses.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 PM

12,703 posts, read 15,146,679 times
Between the two, HK. Singapore has a great living standard, but I found it boring compared to HK.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:43 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I've stayed in Singapore for 1 week and know people that have been/live there,
All of them incl. myself went in with high expectations but all thought it was disappointing.
I don't know 1 single person who went on holiday in Singapore and wanted to go back asap.
No big deal.. I went London years ago with high expectations and was disappointed too.

Just part and parcel of life .. Deal with it..

Old 08-02-2014, 02:25 AM

10,437 posts, read 12,473,680 times
I expected Singapore to be like a mix of a ultra clean Manhattan (a dense compact 24h city with huge skyline) and a busier Beverly Hills (big villas with palm trees along the road), all that surrounded by white sand beaches.
I felt it came closer to a city like Vegas/Macau but more family-friendly.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:03 AM

16 posts, read 17,683 times
Singapore is much more boring and strict(according to Singaporeans) to both Westerners and Asians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Between the two, HK. Singapore has a great living standard, but I found it boring compared to HK.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:10 AM

japan has its own citizens, Japanese mainly, not the ethnic minorities, doing the lower paid jobs in Japan. An average local worker in Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Macau, HK, Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin, Hangzhou..., UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan and South Korea has better real income than a Japanese doing the lower paid jobs in Japan. Because those countries or cities hire a lot of foreigners or outsiders from poorer regions to do the lower paid jobs, the result is most locals become middle class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Japan doesn't hire foreign maids.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 AM

HK is located closer to the big and important economies of China, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan and is a bigger financial center and entertainment hub than Singapore. Population and among of wealth and capital of NE Asia is much larger than SE Asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm not very knowledgeable about either, but Singapore looks kind of faceless and plain for my tastes. I would prefer Hong Kong for the scenery and food alone, and I am perfectly aware about how much people rave about Singapore after going, but I dunno. Seems too businessy for me.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 PM

110 posts, read 107,059 times
Hmmm. why so many chose HK over SG?

SG is less dense than HK
Residents in SG speak more English than HK
SG is much cleaner than HK...Is it the residents or what?
SG is multicultural country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or