U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you rather live and work in HONG KONG or in SINGAPORE?
Hong Kong 55 62.50%
Singapore 33 37.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,153,337 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
Hmmm. why so many chose HK over SG?

SG is less dense than HK
Residents in SG speak more English than HK
SG is much cleaner than HK...Is it the residents or what?
SG is multicultural country...
Deal with it, HK is just the more happening place.
English in HK is losing, but still usable to communicate with some locals, beside a fun place don't have to be filled with English speaker, like Bangkok fo example.
It does however have better quality of life.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-04-2014 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2014, 12:46 AM
 
110 posts, read 107,059 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Deal with it, HK is just the more happening place.
English in HK is losing, but still usable to communicate with some locals, beside a fun place don't have to be filled with English speaker, like Bangkok fo example.
It does however have better quality of life.

Thats ur opinion..but mine I would prefer SG over HK. For me SG is more livable place than HK because SG is less dense, safer food (no offense meant) and cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 02:59 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times
Reputation: 9496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
Hmmm. why so many chose HK over SG?

SG is less dense than HK
Residents in SG speak more English than HK
SG is much cleaner than HK...Is it the residents or what?
SG is multicultural country...
It's pretty close in the poll. 9 vs 11.

I think where HK hits it out of the ballpark, is that amazing combination of mountains, skyscrapers and gorgeous beautiful harbor. I find HK to be in a spectacularly beautiful setting.

I also think the density of HK is a plus. It puts more things into greater proximity.

Language. I think that while SG is better, there is still a high chance of walking SG, and meeting, particularly newcomer mainland Chinese who wouldn't know any English at all. Which is similar to HK. But in either city, you'll also meet plenty of people who can communicate with you just find in English. So, while SG is overall better, the difference isn't that incredibly stark, to write one off completely for not being AS English efficient as the other.

All that being said, I'm still divided and yet to vote on this poll. Been to both a number of times, and quite like both as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 04:04 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,031 posts, read 904,318 times
Reputation: 751
Maybe for a single person, HK is better. The city vibrancy would kill the boredom.

But for family person, Singapore is more family and kids friendly.

As a family man myself, I would choose SG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 AM
 
448 posts, read 501,603 times
Reputation: 170
Singapore is different from HK.
Most people moving to Singapore, including Mainland Chinese, do know English with varying levels.

People who are bad at English have a very high chance of not getting hired in Singapore.

Those Mainland Chinese who wouldn't know any English at all are very likely visitors, not Singapore residents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
there is still a high chance of walking SG, and meeting, particularly newcomer mainland Chinese who wouldn't know any English at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times
Reputation: 9496
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Singapore is different from HK.
Most people moving to Singapore, including Mainland Chinese, do know English with varying levels.

People who are bad at English have a very high chance of not getting hired in Singapore.

Those Mainland Chinese who wouldn't know any English at all are very likely visitors, not Singapore residents.
But...Singapore IS struggling with a ton of Mainland emigrants...many who aren't learning English very well at all. I've been in situations in Singapore, where I try to get a haircut or something else from Chinese who are definitely living and working there, and they have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I'm saying.

I agree, that Singaporeans are educated in English and know English. But plenty of Mainland Chinese do go to Singapore for living and working and don't know any English at all. I'm pretty sure I've had the exact experience in some of the outdoor restaurants in Singapore when trying to order food and drinks as well. i.e. the experience of them not knowing what I'm saying.

MOST people do speak English, but not everyone who lives and works in Singapore does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:07 PM
 
147 posts, read 174,776 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
But...Singapore IS struggling with a ton of Mainland emigrants...many who aren't learning English very well at all. I've been in situations in Singapore, where I try to get a haircut or something else from Chinese who are definitely living and working there, and they have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I'm saying.

I agree, that Singaporeans are educated in English and know English. But plenty of Mainland Chinese do go to Singapore for living and working and don't know any English at all. I'm pretty sure I've had the exact experience in some of the outdoor restaurants in Singapore when trying to order food and drinks as well. i.e. the experience of them not knowing what I'm saying.

MOST people do speak English, but not everyone who lives and works in Singapore does.
It's true, frankly the Singapore government should make knowing English a requirement to working in Singapore. It's especially some places in Chinatown or businesses catering mostly to the Chinese majority. Singapore isn't all Chinese, so what about those customers who can't speak Mandarin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM
 
110 posts, read 107,059 times
Reputation: 25
Our company has a manufacturing site in SG and still all of the opetators are hired in Mainland China, given the supervisors, process engineers are not majority are Chinese speakers.
But still why always them when language would be a problem...well labor cost is one major reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:45 PM
 
147 posts, read 174,776 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
Our company has a manufacturing site in SG and still all of the opetators are hired in Mainland China, given the supervisors, process engineers are not majority are Chinese speakers.
But still why always them when language would be a problem...well labor cost is one major reason.
That's one thing, but anyone who can't speak English has no business working in the service industry in Singapore. English is the language of business in Singapore, Chinese only speaking enclaves are not welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM
 
110 posts, read 107,059 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
That's one thing, but anyone who can't speak English has no business working in the service industry in Singapore. English is the language of business in Singapore, Chinese only speaking enclaves are not welcome.
I still think that they can converse at least in simple English even if they are in Chinatown...Most of them cant really speak basic English...what if non Chinese customers will dine in their resto and their menu is in chinese and their waiters cant speak English? Wew it will be an effort for sure.
SG and HK being cosmopolitan cities should require basic English knowledge to nonEnglish service sector workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top