U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live and work in HONG KONG or in SINGAPORE?
Hong Kong 55 62.50%
Singapore 33 37.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
That's one thing, but anyone who can't speak English has no business working in the service industry in Singapore. English is the language of business in Singapore, Chinese only speaking enclaves are not welcome.
I think the biggest reason is that Chinese CAN live and work in Singapore, and operate in a fully Chinese world. That possibility exists for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 03:51 AM

8 posts, read 18,715 times
HK.

but do not mess with the people of HK, they are not that good to non local people.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openspaceinver View Post
HK.

but do not mess with the people of HK, they are not that good to non local people.
You seem really pleasant to be around yourself.

You've just searched for 7-8 threads, to post negative stuff about everywhere you've ever been. That reflects more of yourself, than anything else.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,206,233 times
I chose Hong Kong but neither interest me much at all even to visit.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,702,092 times
I would pick Singapore. Singapore has better housing, shorter work hours (Hong Kong you may have to work in Saturdays), higher salaries, more family friendly and they speak English and mandarin instead of Cantonese. Also Singapore is ruled by Singapore, Hong Kong is now controled by China which do not particularly care about what Hong Kong people think. Singapore may not be a perfect democracy, but they can't do whatever they want.

Sure Hong Kong is more interesting, but that is why it is better to visit Hong Kong instead of living. I would love to study in Hong Kong, or do a short work contract. But there is no way I would live there permanently.

Last edited by Camlon; 09-26-2014 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I would pick Singapore. Singapore has better housing, shorter work hours (Hong Kong you may have to work in Saturdays), higher salaries, more family friendly and they speak English and mandarin instead of Cantonese. Also Singapore is ruled by Singapore, Hong Kong is now controled by China which do not particularly care about what Hong Kong people think. Singapore may not be a perfect democracy, but they can't do whatever they want.

Sure Hong Kong is more interesting, but that is why it is better to visit Hong Kong instead of living. I would love to study in Hong Kong, or do a short work contract. But there is no way I would live there permanently.
I find it surprising that nobody here is talking about the massive protest in Hong Kong tbqh.

Anyway, if I'd have to choose between these two....I'd rather just go back home.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:21 PM

501 posts, read 461,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I find it surprising that nobody here is talking about the massive protest in Hong Kong tbqh.
I think the massive protests are a point In HK's favor in this (somewhat pointless) HK vs. Singapore debate. At least people in HK have that freedom.

And to add my 2 cents to the debate, I would rather live in HK and go out at night in HK and go hiking or surfing in HK or go shopping in HK, but I would rather work and eat in Singapore :-P

Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,613,293 times
Well, I've lived in HK, and what I know about Singapore (have visited it many times) - I'd say that HK is more lively in terms of the energy. OTOH, I think that Singapore is a bit more family friendly, it's not as hectic - which probably suits me better now.

Depends what you're looking for and your tastes. Both have world-class airports with flights to every corner of the world, so if you get tired of it - it's easy to get away.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:03 PM

3,123 posts, read 2,702,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I think the massive protests are a point In HK's favor in this (somewhat pointless) HK vs. Singapore debate. At least people in HK have that freedom.

And to add my 2 cents to the debate, I would rather live in HK and go out at night in HK and go hiking or surfing in HK or go shopping in HK, but I would rather work and eat in Singapore :-P
They can protest in Singapore too, but Hong Kong people have a stronger reason to go out and protest. If Malaysia was trying to control Singapore, then you might see similar protests in Singapore.

I actually don't get China position at all. Why interfere at all, just back off and let Hong Kong do their own things. A slightly democratic calm Hong Kong is much less danger to China, than a Hong Kong filled with people fighting for Democratic rights. Also, this is damaging relationships with Taiwan, who see that one country, two systems is a lie.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:50 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
They can protest in Singapore too, but Hong Kong people have a stronger reason to go out and protest. If Malaysia was trying to control Singapore, then you might see similar protests in Singapore.

I actually don't get China position at all. Why interfere at all, just back off and let Hong Kong do their own things. A slightly democratic calm Hong Kong is much less danger to China, than a Hong Kong filled with people fighting for Democratic rights. Also, this is damaging relationships with Taiwan, who see that one country, two systems is a lie.
They're probably afraid of chain effects. "Why can HK people vote not us" kind of stuff. Though I think the majority of Chinese people don't really care whatsoever.

And Xi actually said one country two systems outloud to Taiwan, talk about stupidity. "Taiwanese people have to consider the feelings of 1.3 billion Chinese people". Lol, consider my ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or