U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live and work in HONG KONG or in SINGAPORE?
Hong Kong 55 62.50%
Singapore 33 37.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 PM

3,123 posts, read 2,702,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Wrong. Shanghai was called "Paris of the Orient" for good reasons.

Though China was poor on average, Shanghai had some richest people in Asia. There were many companies, international and domestic. There were many immigrants, from Chinese provinces and from all over the world. Its urban population had reached 4 million before WWII.
It was also a capital of culture, and even the Communist Party was founded there.
And it was still desperately poor with a GDP per capita lower than Lagos today. Lagos also has some rich people, but that doesn't make Lagos rich. You will also find some good areas in Lagos, but most people live in poverty.

Quote:
Of course Hong Kong still has its advantages and will remain so for many years.
However Shanghai also has its advantages over Hong Kong already. Where is better for business depends on what you do.

China does not want Hong Kong to fail, nor do Chinese people.
Of course Shanghai has its advantages, but you said Shanghai were to replace Hong Kong. If they are going to replace Hong Kong, then they seriously need to improve its regulatory environment.

And if you do not want Hong Kong to fail, the solution is to stop assaulting the people of Hong Kong and make compromises so that things like this does not happen in the future.

Quote:
In Chines cities, GDP is largely driven by infrastructure development or industrial production, and does not necessarily reflect living standards.
For example, quite a few cities have much higher GDP per capita than Shanghai, simply because they produce a lot of oil and natural gas, but the money does not transfer to individual income.
None of the cities I listed produce much oil and gas, I removed those cities. And Shanghai growth rate is 2.8% which is weak by itself. Either all cities in China are actually growing by 2.8% as well, or Shanghai growth rate is doing badly compared to other Chinese cities.

You mention infrastructure development. That is the problem with Shanghai, compared to other cities in China, they are not developing. You can really notice the difference in infrastructure between Shenzen and Shanghai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 11:37 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
And it was still desperately poor with a GDP per capita lower than Lagos today. Lagos also has some rich people, but that doesn't make Lagos rich. You will also find some good areas in Lagos, but most people live in poverty.

Of course Shanghai has its advantages, but you said Shanghai were to replace Hong Kong. If they are going to replace Hong Kong, then they seriously need to improve its regulatory environment.

And if you do not want Hong Kong to fail, the solution is to stop assaulting the people of Hong Kong and make compromises so that things like this does not happen in the future.

None of the cities I listed produce much oil and gas, I removed those cities. And Shanghai growth rate is 2.8% which is weak by itself. Either all cities in China are actually growing by 2.8% as well, or Shanghai growth rate is doing badly compared to other Chinese cities.

You mention infrastructure development. That is the problem with Shanghai, compared to other cities in China, they are not developing. You can really notice the difference in infrastructure between Shenzen and Shanghai.
So you compare Shanghai 100 years ago with Lagos of today? Do you know something called inflation?

(1) I never said Shanghai is to replace Hong Kong.
(2) Nobody is assaulting the people of Hong Kong. The thing is Hong Kong people want more rights than before, not that they are assaulted.
(3) Shenzhen is the youngest big city in the world. No comparison.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
And Shanghai growth rate is 2.8% which is weak by itself.
I don't know where you got your data but my resources say it is 7.7% in 2013.
I am sure your data is wrong because no matter what year it was, it cannot be that low.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:06 AM

6 posts, read 6,351 times
Hongkong could not stand alone without Chinese..."!!!!"

Old 09-30-2014, 05:49 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,702,092 times
Quote:
I don't know where you got your data but my resources say it is 7.7% in 2013.
I am sure your data is wrong because no matter what year it was, it cannot be that low.
The reason it is lower, is because I am using GDP per capita adjusted for ppp. While GDP has increased, so has cost of living.

I am just checking the gdp per capita of 2011 and comparing it to 2013

2011:
Tianjin: 20,718
Shanghai: 20,073
Beijing: 19,854

2013:
Tianjin 23,453
Beijing 21,948
Shanghai 21,213

Growth Rates based on ppp figures
Tianjin: 6.4%
Beijing: 5.2%
Shanghai: 2.8%

Growth Rates based on nominal figures
Tianjin: 11%
Beijing: 9.9%
Shanghai: 6.7%

If you complain about me using different sources, then you can compare it with the same article 2 years ago.
List of Chinese administrative divisions by GDP per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2014, 06:20 AM

6 posts, read 4,163 times
both city are good for living .but i will prefer to live in SINGAPORE

Old 09-30-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The reason it is lower, is because I am using GDP per capita adjusted for ppp. While GDP has increased, so has cost of living.

I am just checking the gdp per capita of 2011 and comparing it to 2013

2011:
Tianjin: 20,718
Shanghai: 20,073
Beijing: 19,854

2013:
Tianjin 23,453
Beijing 21,948
Shanghai 21,213

Growth Rates based on ppp figures
Tianjin: 6.4%
Beijing: 5.2%
Shanghai: 2.8%

Growth Rates based on nominal figures
Tianjin: 11%
Beijing: 9.9%
Shanghai: 6.7%

If you complain about me using different sources, then you can compare it with the same article 2 years ago.
List of Chinese administrative divisions by GDP per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was talking about GDP, not per capita. Also, usually growth rate is not computed in terms of PPP (it is ok to do so, but the figures you get will be misleading because they are rarely used anywhere else.)

Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 PM

9 posts, read 8,015 times
No for Singapore, thousands cases of Dengue Fever every year, hot year round, people are more conservative in most things(fashion, hairstyle, expressing opinions, protests, strict laws). Singapore are watching a lot of HK movies and tv dramas. Few people in HK or Northeast Asia are interested in the entertainment industry of Singapore. Singapore itself aren't that famous for anything outside of SE Asia.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydnwisf View Post
No for Singapore, thousands cases of Dengue Fever every year, hot year round, people are more conservative in most things(fashion, hairstyle, expressing opinions, protests, strict laws). Singapore are watching a lot of HK movies and tv dramas. Few people in HK or Northeast Asia are interested in the entertainment industry of Singapore. Singapore itself aren't that famous for anything outside of SE Asia.
There is a serious dengue fever outbreak in the Canton area all around Hong Kong, as we speak, right now.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:54 AM

27 posts, read 67,083 times
HK, no question. I like Singapore, but compared to HK, it didn't do that much for me. No energy, no soul, at least compared to Hong Kong. I remember my first time coming up from the MRT to check out Chinatown and the whole neighborhood felt like a big tourist trap, and nothing like China at all. Of course there are great things about Singapore too, but I'd get bored as hell after a month or two there. I find new, interesting things to do every time I'm in HK and it always surprises me.

HK is gritty and exotic, but westernized enough that I can feel at home. Singapore is blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or