U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live and work in HONG KONG or in SINGAPORE?
Hong Kong 55 62.50%
Singapore 33 37.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 4,694 times

Advertisements

Hong Kong..Better money currency..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,731 times
Western lecturer assaulted by a mainland chinese student during lecture at Hong Kong University for teaching in English

[URL]http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1611036/senior-post-editor-cliff-buddle-assaulted-during-lecture-hku[/URL]

A senior editor at the South China Morning Post was physically assaulted by a man attending his lecture at the University of Hong Kong yesterday and received treatment in hospital.
Cliff Buddle, the Post's special projects editor and an honorary lecturer in media law and ethics at HKU's journalism and media studies centre, was attacked by a 26-year-old mainlander, who claimed to be a student from Tsinghua University in Beijing, witnesses said.
The man, a Putonghua speaker, expressed annoyance at Buddle's use of English instead of Chinese at the university, where most of the teaching is done in English.
"It has been 17 years into Hong Kong's handover. Why is English still used for teaching?" witnesses cited the man as shouting at about 2pm.
Security guards alerted the police, who arrested him on suspicion of common assault. The man was overheard telling police he thought there was "no problem" hitting a foreign teacher.
Buddle was treated for injuries to his hand and chest before being discharged from hospital.
The 50-year-old journalist told how the man kicked him in the chest and injured his hand by hitting it with a hard-cover folder.
"He suddenly walked to the front of the class during my lecture and assaulted me," Buddle said. "There was no discussion."
HKU confirmed the man was not one of its students and vowed to review security arrangements at the Pok Fu Lam campus.
"I am surprised and saddened. It is rare for something like this to happen in Hong Kong," Buddle said.
"I am very grateful to my teaching assistant and students who remained calm and refused to leave until the attacker had been apprehended."
Wang Xiangwei, editor-in-chief of the Post, said: "We condemn this attack on our colleague, Cliff. Violence has no place in the classroom. Police are currently investigating and we trust they will handle the matter appropriately."

Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
I much prefer the beauty and energy of Hong Kong....I pretty much like EVERYTHING about it...except the whole 'part of China now' thing....

Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 5,058 times
This Mainland Chinese is not happy with HK still being quite different from Mainland China 17 years into HK's handover to China. Does he know about "One Country Two Systems"?

So he thinks China has not completely get rid of the western invaders who imported opium and got HK by an unequal treaty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hausea View Post
Western lecturer assaulted by a mainland chinese student during lecture at Hong Kong University for teaching in English

[url=http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1611036/senior-post-editor-cliff-buddle-assaulted-during-lecture-hku]Senior Post editor Cliff Buddle assaulted during lecture at HKU | South China Morning Post[/url]

A senior editor at the South China Morning Post was physically assaulted by a man attending his lecture at the University of Hong Kong yesterday and received treatment in hospital.

Cliff Buddle, the Post's special projects editor and an honorary lecturer in media law and ethics at HKU's journalism and media studies centre, was attacked by a 26-year-old mainlander, who claimed to be a student from Tsinghua University in Beijing, witnesses said.

The man, a Putonghua speaker, expressed annoyance at Buddle's use of English instead of Chinese at the university, where most of the teaching is done in English.

"It has been 17 years into Hong Kong's handover. Why is English still used for teaching?" witnesses cited the man as shouting at about 2pm.

Security guards alerted the police, who arrested him on suspicion of common assault. The man was overheard telling police he thought there was "no problem" hitting a foreign teacher.

Buddle was treated for injuries to his hand and chest before being discharged from hospital.
The 50-year-old journalist told how the man kicked him in the chest and injured his hand by hitting it with a hard-cover folder.

"He suddenly walked to the front of the class during my lecture and assaulted me," Buddle said. "There was no discussion."

HKU confirmed the man was not one of its students and vowed to review security arrangements at the Pok Fu Lam campus.

"I am surprised and saddened. It is rare for something like this to happen in Hong Kong," Buddle said.

"I am very grateful to my teaching assistant and students who remained calm and refused to leave until the attacker had been apprehended."

Wang Xiangwei, editor-in-chief of the Post, said: "We condemn this attack on our colleague, Cliff. Violence has no place in the classroom. Police are currently investigating and we trust they will handle the matter appropriately."

Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM

369 posts, read 802,170 times
Obviously HK.

You can't speak your mind and be openly gay in Singapore.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 AM

1,013 posts, read 771,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hausea View Post

Senior Post editor Cliff Buddle assaulted during lecture at HKU | South China Morning Post

Seriously mainland China Chinese need to learn some manners.
so what if HK is part of China.

Maybe he should instead speak in Cantonese the Dialect of HK instead then.
lets see if the main lander can understand.

since he went to HK he should learn Cantonese instead of mandarin right?
after all do as Rome do.

Many in HK knows English as a de-facto 2nd language after all.
the lecturer is English of course he is going to use English since most of the students are English speakers as well NO DUH.

Just some uneducated spoiled brat from mainland China from an elite family that got rich from CCP corruption
nothing to see here.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 7,512 times
Use of English in HK is a legacy of Western imperalism and many Mainland Chinese resent it.

It was the Mainland China government who agreed policies including languages are to remain unchanged after the handover.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:21 PM

5 posts, read 3,782 times
Both Mainland and HK Chinese can be very racist, especially if someone is from a poor or not well developed region.
The mentality of this Mainland Chinese guy is easy to understand. The white invaders should get out of HK or China. English should not be used after the handover as it is a legacy of European colonialism. This is probably what he thinks.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:36 AM

7 posts, read 7,302 times
Both Japan and Australia do not hire foreign maids.
Australia is close enough to Southeast Asia as a potential labour importer

For Australia, the equalitiarian culture is the factor behind a no labour import policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Japan doesn't hire foreign maids. (That's Hong Kong & Singapore & The Middle East that does that).

I'm basically questioning the Indonesian nurses.

Professionals is something completely different, and I'm not questioning that. I was simply questioning the "Medical Personnel' if that implies nurses.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,025,131 times
I have lived in Singapore for a year and i felt that i blended inbetter compared when i vacationed over in HK. Bigger expat community and overall open to foreign nationals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or