Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live and work in HONG KONG or in SINGAPORE?
Hong Kong 56 62.92%
Singapore 33 37.08%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,003,810 times

Advertisements

Would you rather live and work in? HONG KONG or SINGAPORE?

These are all arguable.

But, Hong Kong seems to be the more dynamic place, with more energy, more things to do. More natural beauty - mountains and harbor and such. The negatives would be it's slowly losing it's power and rights to the political power of Beijing. It'll eventually become China and lose it's own control of itself. Plus English is becoming less and less all the time.

Singapore is considered 'boring', but I'd argue there is a lot to do in Singapore as well. The climate is always hot all year around, and the land is relatively flat as well. On the other hand, the country has it's own political power and will for a long time to come. There is a lot of money there, and English is much more widely-spoken.

So, which one would you rather live and work in? Hong Kong or Singapore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:38 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,818,583 times
I guess i do not have voting rights to this poll ? LoL

Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 AM

8,848 posts, read 8,356,988 times
Neither,honestly.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,368,166 times
I have answered this question many times in many online forums. Just to sum things up:

If these only 2 choices, I would go for Singapore. People are friendlier than HK, houses are much bigger, more safe, family/kid friendly communities, competitive salary, diversified economy, less Chinese working culture, better company benefits and English is very much widely spoken.

What I only like about HK is the weather, better tourism and the vibrant feel of both city and nature.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:57 PM

I am happy about the result of the poll.. Yes. Go Hong Kong instead..

Old 07-31-2014, 05:07 PM

36,933 posts, read 38,901,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am happy about the result of the poll.. Yes. Go Hong Kong instead..
I know, right! Singapore is incredibly dull with humorless people who are pretty lacking in social graces or creativity. It's got a nice geographic position for shipping routes which has allowed it to attract a lot of foreign investment which is why Singapore has been able to get a modicum of prosperity, but that's only going to last for so long. Hopefully the xenophobic turn means a push towards making the Thai canal happen--in which case Singapore would no longer really have much reason to exist.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
To allow a greater Chinese monopoly on trade? No thanks. Really, people should be grateful Singapore exists. It sounds like you're resentful and jealous.
We SIngaporeans are big hearted will not bear grudges against people like this .. Lol ..

Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Heh, sarcasm? lol

I'm not a big Sing nationalists, I mean I did renounce my citizenship (but that's not cos I hate S'pore, I never really lived there and Australia is home, I had no choice in the matter really), but some people seem to hate Singapore.
Of course Singapore have haters .. Sad girl80 etc and others..

Some people fit, some dont ..simple .. Nothing we can and need to do about it

Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,641,794 times
I wouldn't want to live in either of the two. Taipei is probably a better place to be in Asia. Not as glamorous, but quality of life is high with a lot of culture.

As to English being spoken less and less... funny, it is like a Chinese wanting to move to the US and complain about not everyone speaking Chinese. You move to a Chinese city, of course you are supposed to be able to speak the local language in advance.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,003,810 times
Quote:
To allow a greater Chinese monopoly on trade? No thanks. Really, people should be grateful Singapore exists. It sounds like you're resentful and jealous.
I'm one of the ones very thankful that Singapore exists!

It's a nice little oasis, in my opinion. If it didn't exist, it would just be a little more of Malaysia, which is fine, but Malaysia is already there. Having Singapore at the tip, is just an extra bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia