U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Asian people are most friendly to American immigrants?
China 1 1.45%
India 3 4.35%
Indonesia 2 2.90%
Japan 3 4.35%
Philippines 34 49.28%
Vietnam 1 1.45%
Thailand 7 10.14%
South Korea 2 2.90%
Malaysia 0 0%
Nepal 1 1.45%
North Korea 2 2.90%
Taiwan 4 5.80%
Cambodia 0 0%
United Arab Emirates 0 0%
Hong Kong 3 4.35%
Singapore 4 5.80%
Other 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:15 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why South Korea and not Japan? I'm confused with this one
Japan doesn't suck up to US like South Korea does and Japan don't need to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Consider the circumstances of that. Who do they have for a neighbor?

Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
If you're going to pay a visit to Asia,then most of the Asian people here(except for some,say the middle east) would be very friendly to you,but in general(politically etc),Taiwan is very American-friendly.
If you want to get laid,being white in Taiwan is always a powerful advantage and I'm not trolling.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Singapore is a US minion , so I think you can add Singapore too.

I would say South Korea too
South Koreans have a strange hate and dislike of Americans, YET they want the economic benefits and militarily must depend on the U.S. So, they TRY to like Americans.

So, South Koreans, they don't REALLY like Americans.

The Philippines, on the other hand, they definitely love Americans.

I'd also say that Vietnamese love Americans too. They are glad to be part of the money-making world, and they think of the U.S. as just one of many world powers that went in there, and had their butts kicked. Most Vietnamese have family in the U.S., and are eager to find out if you might know them. (Which isn't possible, but nonetheless!)

Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
As a person who lived in South Korea for 7-8 years and Japan for 5-6 years.

I found the Japanese to be quite American friendly. Whereas South Korea, you'd have constant and regular anti-American demonstrations all the time. They constantly had the military surrounding the US Embassy in Seoul. That was pretty much unheard of in Japan.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
South Koreans have a strange hate and dislike of Americans, YET they want the economic benefits and militarily must depend on the U.S. So, they TRY to like Americans.

So, South Koreans, they don't REALLY like Americans.
I don't think they have a strange "hate" and "dislike" of "Americans".Koreans are just more homogeneous,which means they usually stick together more and probably don't enjoy socializing with "foreigners" in general.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think they have a strange "hate" and "dislike" of "Americans".Koreans are just more homogeneous,which means they usually stick together more and probably don't enjoy socializing with "foreigners" in general.
That's true too!

I mean, Koreans aren't just anti-American, they are just anti-foreigner of every kind.

Anyways, PSY..

The PSY scandal: singing about killing people v. constantly doing it | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Writing a song for an Anti-American Concert...he was able to do this in Korea, because it's quite easy to find many Koreans to agree with him. If it was political suicide or career suicide for him, of course he wouldn't do it. Musicians reflect popular sentiment, especially in South Korea, which is very homogeneous.

It's hard to explain, unless you were an American who lived there. But the amount of anti-American stuff that goes on there is quite high. I used to inadvertently walk through MANY anti-American demonstrations just walking through the streets of Seoul, and then try to walk right out of them again. Actually, almost every time there was a demonstration, the first thing I thought was 'must be another anti-American demonstration'.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:48 AM

As an American person who has spent some time in all of these countries except North Korea...

China - Completely indifferent to Americans. Sometimes fascinated by Americans, sometimes completely indifferent altogether.

India - Very interested in Americans.

Indonesia - Mix. Some anti-foreigner sentiment towards both the United States and Australia. Maybe a little more anti-Australian than anti-American. I was in a city in Java once, where just a few days before I arrived, some fanatic type was going around to all the hostels and warning all of them that if any American was in the city on a certain day, they were going to around and kill them. *sigh*...nothing happened with that. But, there is AN ELEMENT with that. Same with the Bali bombings, there is an an element there that just doesn't like Australia/USA.

Japan - As an American, I always felt comfortable in Japan.

Philippines - As an American, most Filipinos generally really like Americans.

Vietnam - Pro-Americanism is crazy. I spent two months in Vietnam, and their fascination/interest in Americans really took me by surprise. For one, they fought the French for generations, than the Chinese, than the Americans, and than they went over to Cambodia and kicked Pol Pot out of power. They are proud of the fact that they beat all the world's major powers. No animosity whatsoever about the Vietnam War. They are really interested in Americans.

Thailand - They like Americans because they believe Americans have big wallets!

South Korea - lots of anti-American demonstrations. Love/hate relationship with the U.S. In some ways, way too dependent on the US for everything economically and politically, etc. On the other hand, they want the U.S. out of there, on and on, etc.

Malaysia - I have always felt comfortable in Malaysia. I don't know if its a false sense of security, or not. But it has always felt comfortable.

Nepal - Pro-American, unless things have changed. I haven't been there since the late 1990s

North Korea - Anti-American.

Taiwan - Pro-American. The US is their political lifeline.

Cambodia - pro-American.

United Arab Emirates - Pro-Business, so will overlook everything for the almighty Dollar.

Hong Kong - pro-American.

Singapore pro-American.

ALL THIS BEING SAID...if a person is an American, they are ALL GOOD to visit and travel. You won't have any problems whatsoever for being an American in any of these countries. They'll like you quite a bit regardless. But a few will have few more anti-american sentiments that come up, but usually for political reasons. On an individual basis, they'll all treat you just fine.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
Quote:
As an American person who has spent some time in all of these countries except North Korea...

Indonesia - Mix. Some anti-foreigner sentiment towards both the United States and Australia. Maybe a little more anti-Australian than anti-American. I was in a city in Java once, where just a few days before I arrived, some fanatic type was going around to all the hostels and warning all of them that if any American was in the city on a certain day, they were going to around and kill them. *sigh*...nothing happened with that. But, there is AN ELEMENT with that. Same with the Bali bombings, there is an an element there that just doesn't like Australia/USA.
I remember you mentioned that this happened in 1990s? its not the same like that at all now, Indonesians in general have very little to no hate towards Americans/Aussies, if you're visiting Java today, they probably want their pictures to be taken with you instead. There's anti-western sentiment by minor radical groups called "FPI", but trust me, their words doesn't worth anything and the locals hates them.

There is demonstration towards US/Australia after certain issue displease the population, but as far concerned there is no problem for foreigners currently living in Indonesia, even those living outside Bali. How many Americans/Aussies living in Indonesia now do you think? and do they face anti-western discrimination whatsoever? i don't think so.

As for terrorism, the issue isn't major like Pakistan or anything, i personally think its overly exagurrated to warn tourist to visit Indonesia because of it since you are likely to die being run over by a car rather than bombing, and we already killed those terrorist.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
Quote:

Thailand - They like Americans because they believe Americans have big wallets!
Not really, many have negative sentiments towards farang, and you know well why. There are many other places too that think Americans as big walking ATM.

Quote:
Malaysia - I have always felt comfortable in Malaysia. I don't know if its a false sense of security, or not. But it has always felt comfortable
They have anti-American protest too like Indonesia, and i wonder why you ranked them safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or