U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Asian people are most friendly to American immigrants?
China 1 1.45%
India 3 4.35%
Indonesia 2 2.90%
Japan 3 4.35%
Philippines 34 49.28%
Vietnam 1 1.45%
Thailand 7 10.14%
South Korea 2 2.90%
Malaysia 0 0%
Nepal 1 1.45%
North Korea 2 2.90%
Taiwan 4 5.80%
Cambodia 0 0%
United Arab Emirates 0 0%
Hong Kong 3 4.35%
Singapore 4 5.80%
Other 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:22 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
I remember you mentioned that this happened in 1990s? its not the same like that at all now, Indonesians in general have very little to no hate towards Americans/Aussies, if you're visiting Java today, they probably want their pictures to be taken with you instead. There's anti-western sentiment by minor radical groups called "FPI", but trust me, their words doesn't worth anything and the locals hates them.

There is demonstration towards US/Australia after certain issue displease the population, but as far concerned there is no problem for foreigners currently living in Indonesia, even those living outside Bali. How many Americans/Aussies living in Indonesia now do you think? and do they face anti-western discrimination whatsoever? i don't think so.

As for terrorism, the issue isn't major like Pakistan or anything, i personally think its overly exagurrated to warn tourist to visit Indonesia because of it since you are likely to die being run over by a car rather than bombing, and we already killed those terrorist.
yeah, I did tell that story before. That was in 2000.

I visited Indonesia again in 2012, and spent a month on the Island of Bali. I didn't see any outright anti-American sentiment or anti-American feel. But, I didn't 100% feel comfortable there either. I think partially because the Aussies do just about every disrespectful thing you can imagine at Kuta Beach, and, in my general experience, most people see white, and assume American, regardless or not if those white people are actually Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 05:26 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I visited Indonesia again in 2012, and spent a month on the Island of Bali. I didn't see any outright anti-American sentiment or anti-American feel. But, I didn't 100% feel comfortable there either. I think partially because the Aussies do just about every disrespectful thing you can imagine at Kuta Beach, and, in my general experience, most people see white, and assume American, regardless or not if those white people are actually Americans.
Trust me they don't really care which white persons are visiting the country, they'll accept them all regardless Americans or Aussies, without any negative feeling. It's just the same in Jakarta as well, and i don't think they assume anyone white Americans there since most of the tourists are Aussies and they're good enough to recognize that. Usually people will ask where you are from, they don't guest randomly like they do in Philippines. They probably guested America because they don't really know much about white countries in general.

Yes doing something disrespectful is negatively seen by the locals, but its not like its going to turn them anti-white all of the sudden.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Not really, many have negative sentiments towards farang, and you know well why.

They have anti-American protest too like Indonesia, and i wonder why you ranked them safer.
Yeah, I understand why Thailand has negative sentiments towards farang. There is a love/hate relationship with Thailand and farang, for sure. They love the money so much, that they overlook all the rest. The rest is pretty bad.

Anti-American sentiment/protest from Indonesia vs Malaysia. I would rank Malaysia above Indonesia as there are large swaths of Malaysia that is very Chinese and Indian. Almost all of the tourist areas that foreigners would go, are generally mostly Chinese-Malays, like Penang and Malaca. KL is a big mix.

As an American in Malaysia, I just feel like I'm in some kind of Asian melting pot of Muslim, Chinese, and Indian. I can go to a Hindu Temple or a Buddhist Temple, and it's all right there.

Indonesia, on the other hand, well, there has always been an Anti-Chinese sentiment, that sometimes borders are hostility to a level I'm not comfortable with. Basically, Indonesia is Malaysia without the Chinese and Indian influences, and those two influences are what makes Malaysia 'safer' and 'different'.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I understand why Thailand has negative sentiments towards farang. There is a love/hate relationship with Thailand and farang, for sure. They love the money so much, that they overlook all the rest. The rest is pretty bad.

Anti-American sentiment/protest from Indonesia vs Malaysia. I would rank Malaysia above Indonesia as there are large swaths of Malaysia that is very Chinese and Indian. Almost all of the tourist areas that foreigners would go, are generally mostly Chinese-Malays, like Penang and Malaca. KL is a big mix.

As an American in Malaysia, I just feel like I'm in some kind of Asian melting pot of Muslim, Chinese, and Indian. I can go to a Hindu Temple or a Buddhist Temple, and it's all right there.

Indonesia, on the other hand, well, there has always been an Anti-Chinese sentiment, that sometimes borders are hostility to a level I'm not comfortable with. Basically, Indonesia is Malaysia without the Chinese and Indian influences, and those two influences are what makes Malaysia 'safer' and 'different'.
Chinese sentiment has died out, it reached its peak in 1998 and afterwards its just suddenly died out. Locals don't care about anti-Chinese provocation anymore, and the latest one i heard was in Aceh but even that seems to lead to nothing. Malaysia too have history of Chinese riots and killing back in the 60s while we have it more recently. But compared to Malaysia the Chinese here are more comfortable to mix around with the locals as compared to those in Malaysia. All i see around Malaysia is huge racist sentiment between in race that makes them less comfortable to mix around, i only experience VERY LITTLE case that they actually got together in a social group.

What makes you think you can's go inside Hindu, Buddhist, Church or Mosque in here, ok most of the mosque are restricted but its the same in Malaysia and many other Muslim majority country, some are open to public like Istiqlal Mosque in Jakarta or grand mosque of Jogjakarta.

Some shrines in Bali are considered very sacred, thus non-Hindus aren't allowed to go. There is even Buddhist monastery near Borobudur or the ruins of Trowulan in East Java, with large sleeping Buddha and undisturbed.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Trust me they don't really care which white persons are visiting the country, they'll accept them all regardless Americans or Aussies, without any negative feeling. It's just the same in Jakarta as well, and i don't think they assume anyone white Americans there since most of the tourists are Aussies and they're good enough to recognize that. Usually people will ask where you are from, they don't guest randomly like they do in Philippines.

Yes doing something disrespectful is negatively seen by the locals, but its not like its going to turn them anti-white all of the sudden.
In my general white American experience....generally speaking, most people in most countries assume that all white people are Americans.

The reality is that few Americans travel, and most white people traveling around are almost always Aussies or Europeans. But, in my general experience, when people complain about the 'prostitutes running around with white people in Thailand', they'll first assume they are mostly all American. It's only when they research a little more and realize that they aren't Americans so much.

Same with the Bali bombings. I was following the original story at the time, and it was mostly anti-western and anti-American sentiment, and I think the minds behind the bombs were probably quite shocked that they killed almost all Australians. I think it wasn't until that event happened, that there was a realization that most white people in Indonesia, were generally from Australia. That was my perception of it anyways.

I remember being in the Philippines and had a funny conversation where a Filipino was saying that her friend was from American too, he was from Germany. I told her that he wasn't really American then, and he'd get upset if you told him he was. She quickly responded, why would he get upset, he knows he is American. The conversation just went circular like that.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Chinese sentiment has died out, it reached its peak in 1998 and afterwards its just suddenly died out. Malaysia too have history of Chinese riots and killing back in the 60s while we have it more recently. But compared to Malaysia the Chinese here are more comfortable to mix around with the locals as compared to those in Malaysia. All i see around Malaysia is huge racist sentiment between in race that makes them less comfortable to mix around, i only experience VERY LITTLE case that they actually got together in a social group.

What makes you think you can's go inside Hindu, Buddhist, Church or Mosque in here, ok most of the mosque are restricted but its the same in Malaysia, some are open to public like Istiqlal Mosque in Jakarta or grand mosque of Jogjakarta.
Well, never said I didn't think I'd be allowed to go into any Buddhist or Hindu Temple in Indonesia.

I think the stronger point was that in Malaysia, the 3 cultures are absolutely everywhere, and even moreso when you are in the most popular tourist areas of Malaysia. I just prefer that feel. It's more comfortable. Plus, I can be a foreigner in Malaysia and get in very interesting conversations with Indian-Malays and Chinese-Malays who live there, yet can't fully embrace their country 110% due to the pro-'Malay for the Malay' government. I find that interesting.

Whereas Indonesia, pretty much everyone is just Indonesian.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 AM

376 posts, read 742,424 times
Quote:
I think the majority of Indonesian never hate America,
I know Indonesians really like about America ranging from Film, Music, Food,Actor/Actris ,Fashion etc.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
In my general white American experience....generally speaking, most people in most countries assume that all white people are Americans.

The reality is that few Americans travel, and most white people traveling around are almost always Aussies or Europeans. But, in my general experience, when people complain about the 'prostitutes running around with white people in Thailand', they'll first assume they are mostly all American. It's only when they research a little more and realize that they aren't Americans so much.

Same with the Bali bombings. I was following the original story at the time, and it was mostly anti-western and anti-American sentiment, and I think the minds behind the bombs were probably quite shocked that they killed almost all Australians. I think it wasn't until that event happened, that there was a realization that most white people in Indonesia, were generally from Australia. That was my perception of it anyways.

I remember being in the Philippines and had a funny conversation where a Filipino was saying that her friend was from American too, he was from Germany. I told her that he wasn't really American then, and he'd get upset if you told him he was. She quickly responded, why would he get upset, he knows he is American. The conversation just went circular like that.
Because USA is the most influential white country, and all their famous Hollywood movies all around the world, that's why less knowledgeable people think of Americas when they see white people.

It's your perception, but yes anti-western terrorism is unnaceptable regardless its killing Americans/Aussies, they really just want to kill whites to gain a foothold in Hindus stronghold of Bali through fear, that's what i think. But they failed, which is good!

Quote:
Well, never said I didn't think I'd be allowed to go into any Buddhist or Hindu Temple in Indonesia.

I think the stronger point was that in Malaysia, the 3 cultures are absolutely everywhere, and even moreso when you are in the most popular tourist areas of Malaysia. I just prefer that feel. It's more comfortable. Plus, I can be a foreigner in Malaysia and get in very interesting conversations with Indian-Malays and Chinese-Malays who live there, yet can't fully embrace their country 110% due to the pro-'Malay for the Malay' government. I find that interesting.

Whereas Indonesia, pretty much everyone is just Indonesian.
I think i misread "all right" :P

Anyway i agree that Malaysia is a melting pot of 3 major culture, nevertheless the anti-American sentiment is still there, whether you think it as a melting pots of culture or not. Its more comfortable perhaps when you are in area with less Malays.

Even if you'd think of Indonesian that way, its actually almost similar case with Malaysia, in the end the westerner didn't get affected by it.

Didn't you even realize that the mastermind of Bali bombing is Malaysians and not Indonesians?

Indonesia is ultimately diverse, whether they're just Indonesians to you or not but the existence of different cultures of different islands is there, all having different culture and language. Also there's significant Chinese and Arabs community which is still somehow distinctive than the natives, however their number are tiny in comparison of the natives. The islands are also religously diverse, in the capital you can find Hindu and Buddhist temples as well quiet easily. Its all right there.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-01-2014 at 06:53 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 05:59 AM

5 posts, read 5,872 times
Based on the survey in this article '10 Countries that Love (and Hate) America the Most'.

These Asian countries are the Philippines, Israel and South Korea.

The Philippines tops the list among all the countries in the world that loves America. While two other Asian countries are included in the top 10. Israel comes in second and interestingly South Korea is on the 7th place.

On the other hand Pakistan hates America the most.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Indonesia has Chinese and Indian too, even though their influence is less. India obviously affected Indonesian culture in general in ancient times, even after they had become Muslims that influence didn't die.

Malaysia on the other hand to me lacks the historical base like Indonesians do since they aren't really a nation until 16th century.

Basically i get the perception you are simply saying that having more "Muslims" makes it less welcoming for Americans, even that Muslim countries do have anti-west protest more than others, ask Americans expat in here and see whether they felt unwelcomed or threatened after living nearly a decade in Muslim-majority Jakarta with less Chinese and Indian population than Malaysia. And the whole area has around the same population as Malaysia too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or