Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Asian people are most friendly to American immigrants?
China 1 1.16%
India 4 4.65%
Indonesia 2 2.33%
Japan 5 5.81%
Philippines 41 47.67%
Vietnam 1 1.16%
Thailand 8 9.30%
South Korea 3 3.49%
Malaysia 0 0%
Nepal 2 2.33%
North Korea 3 3.49%
Taiwan 6 6.98%
Cambodia 0 0%
United Arab Emirates 0 0%
Hong Kong 3 3.49%
Singapore 4 4.65%
Other 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Seriously. As long as you have cash or credit card in your wallet they are all friendly. Those Filipinas swarming over Western men. Ditto. And middle and upper class Filipinas won’t have anything to do with foreigners. Your dating material are the poorest provincial girls who are mostly scam artists and bar girls.
Not always true. Several of my friends have met filipinas who have their 4 year degrees and come from more of a middle class family.

My wife is from Cebu, has her bachelors, had a good job at Haefle in sales but always had dreams of coming to America so she can flex her brains and establish a better career and she's succeeded.

My friends wives are:

1. Analyst at Microsoft
2. Teacher
3. Nurse
4. Dental Hygienist ---> my wife.

Most all wanted to escape the earnings ceiling in Phils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
South Koreans have a strange hate and dislike of Americans, YET they want the economic benefits and militarily must depend on the U.S. So, they TRY to like Americans.

So, South Koreans, they don't REALLY like Americans.
Not my experience at all. Quite the opposite, actually. To be sure, I have a small sample size. The only Asian country I have ever visited is South Korea. But between that, and the fact that I live in a place with a relatively substantial Korean population, I've experienced nothing but kindness and friendliness from Koreans, whether in their country or mine.

If this is all nothing but an act, that they're only faking nice to get the economic benefits and military protection, all I can say is that the South Koreans must be the best actors on the face of the planet.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not my experience at all. Quite the opposite, actually. To be sure, I have a small sample size. The only Asian country I have ever visited is South Korea. But between that, and the fact that I live in a place with a relatively substantial Korean population, I've experienced nothing but kindness and friendliness from Koreans, whether in their country or mine.

If this is all nothing but an act, that they're only faking nice to get the economic benefits and military protection, all I can say is that the South Koreans must be the best actors on the face of the planet.
They are definitely friendly and kind. But, there is also a ton of nationalism among Koreans as well.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Hawaii wouldn't be thought as something else, it would simply be the USA. The same should be done between China and Hong Kong. I know why the OP did it, but it shouldn't had.

Taiwan is a different story, but Hong Kong is very clear.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They are definitely friendly and kind. But, there is also a ton of nationalism among Koreans as well.
That may well be, but I don't see what it has to do with the topic of this thread. Love of one's own country does not necessarily equal hatred of other countries, much less people from those countries. (I admit that it CAN mean that. Are you saying that Korean nationalism causes them to dislike Americans?)

Personally, I think that on the whole, the United States is the greatest country in the history of the world. But that doesn't mean I can't like and respect South Korea (which I do) and think highly of the people who live there or come from there.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:18 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

I agree with you. I've spent quite a bit of time in Asia and not once have I felt the disdain from a Korean. If anything, I get along well with them. That said, they tend to be very image oriented. If you dress well, look professional and well behaved you'll fit right in.

If you are sporting a tank top, haven't bathed in a few days and smell like last nights case of beer, you'll probably get a different reaction from them. Just my opinion.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:23 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
^ as a non-american i also think this about south koreans. Should stick more around Japan then, their level of pro-americannes isn't as high.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:01 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Not always true. Several of my friends have met filipinas who have their 4 year degrees and come from more of a middle class family.

My wife is from Cebu, has her bachelors, had a good job at Haefle in sales but always had dreams of coming to America so she can flex her brains and establish a better career and she's succeeded.

My friends wives are:

1. Analyst at Microsoft
2. Teacher
3. Nurse
4. Dental Hygienist ---> my wife.

Most all wanted to escape the earnings ceiling in Phils.

Good point. Guess you can't paint everything with a broad brush. We have a large Philippine communty here and the ones I've met are well educated and hard workers. I was referring more to the age gap sometimes gold digger relationships I've seen with some people I've run into. Cheers.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:54 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I was referring more to the age gap sometimes gold digger relationships I've seen with some people I've run into. Cheers.
if they are still with their husbands despite their age gap, who are we to say that they are gold diggers?

do we say the same thing with Melania Trump?

Old 06-26-2019, 01:34 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
if they are still with their husbands despite their age gap, who are we to say that they are gold diggers?

do we say the same thing with Melania Trump?
Well some may not be gold diggers others not. Depends on how you define gold digger. Is a 20 something Filipina poor and living in the provinces with an old Western guy looking for love or just financial security. If she could choose between a well to do local person or the old white guy who would she choose? I’m guessing the local guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia