U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,302,301 times

Advertisements

I tried many other places before doing this, so I hope someone can help. I have a medal, which came with a bundle of old coins, which I would guess to be Chinese. I don't read any dialect of Chinese and do not recognize the gentleman depicted on the front. From the style it appears to be from the first half of the 20th century, and that is just a guess.

Obverse:

Reverse:

I hope those are clear enough. Thank you in advance for any knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 PM

156 posts, read 233,545 times
Hello, I'm going to take a stab at this.

The text on the reverse reads "Souvenir Marking the Establishment of Manchukuo"

Manchukuo was a puppet state in Northeast China during the 1930s. Its emperor was Aisin-Gioro Puyi, or better known as Puyi in the famous film "The Last Emperor of China". I can't make out the face on the front of the medal but he could very well be Puyi himself, judging by the characteristic round-framed glasses he wears.

That's all I'm capable of, I'm sure Bettafish would be able to help you out.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,302,301 times
Oh, wow. It never occurred to me that might be Pu Yi. This definitely resembles pictures of him, especially the glasses as you point out, and the hairstyle seems to match. So this is either issued by the Japanese (who were running the show), or by the Manchukuo government at Japanese direction. That also firmly dates it to 1931-32, which is when Japan took control in Manchuria; maybe 1933 at the latest, but it could not be before 1931. That is a tremendous help, lepillow, thank you very much. I don't hold out hope that it's valuable, but I enjoy the process of figuring out what something is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia