Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,565,129 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRiI6kIdjmk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
I was once trained in basic combatives and bayonet fighting; later on, I expanded on by learning from buddies whom received more advanced training in combatives; during my studies, I was friends with a couple of guys and I watched them trained: a chinese wushu practioner (of the chereographed kind), another guy whom was a full-time Muay Thai (half-Thai half Chinese) boxer, (meaning he actually participated in muay thai torunaments - the kind where participants sometimes died from being kicked too hard in the head), (he had a healthy respect for Aikido), another guy whom was a silat practitioner, and also an Australian with a karate black belt and practitioner in using the Indonesian chabang.

Then, in one of my former workplaces, I met a colleague whom MMA practitioner (whom derided Aikido as a joke, in contrast to my Thai friend), then at a university I once worked at, I was friends with a South korean ex-soldier whom practised Taekwando.

During my younger days, I also got involved in a few street fights.

I learned some things, which you may disagree with:

1) There isn't really a deadliest martial art; it is more of the level and depth of competence and training; a 30 year old whom has been training for 16 hours a day in Taekwondo can badly hurt a 20 year old whom spends 8 hours a week learning MMA and Krav Maga

2) Fighting is never fair; the best lesson I ever received in this was when the unarmed combat instructor told me and my fellow platoon-mates during basic training was: Fighting fair will get you killed; don't be obsessed with technique, just do whatever works; hit hard and fast, being a gentleman will not help you to survive

3) My Thai friend told me it does not matter if you are a master of whatever fighting style, if your opponent has a knife and you do not, and even if your opponent has zero knowledge of martial arts, your chances of survival decreases a lot. If it was a firearm, your chances of survival are zero. Which is why my friends whom were in elite units spent only 2 hours a week on combatives at most during service - even lesser than that.
Some martial arts teach you techniques for fighting against an opponent that carries a knife. But you'd have to move fast to make the techniques useful.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM

97 posts, read 125,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Some martial arts teach you techniques for fighting against an opponent that carries a knife. But you'd have to move fast to make the techniques useful.
Regardless of the art or technique, you will get get cut. You have to know/decide where to get cut.

Last edited by introspective; 03-05-2015 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
The Ecky Thump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSwNHJHftAA

Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Some really dumb answers here.

The most effective would not being there, second is a gun, third would be boxing or Muay Thai with at least some notion of wrestling, and that's it. Since the topic here is Asian martial arts then it's Muay Thai.

People saying Taekwondo, Karate or Jiu Jitsu are delusional. Yeah, Jiu Jitsu is great and I like it but try to use it with a guy biting off a chunk of your face or sticking is fingers in your eyes or elbowing you in the throat or genitals, while you get ready to perform that great arm bar you're so good at.

Because of the obvious reason, in order for it to be a sport you can't bite, attack the eyes, spine, throat or genitals and of course the rules can't be modified to allow for that.

When will people realize that a real fight is different from a MMA fight?

Repped. i was the first one to say Muy Thai. People don't realize how effective straight boxing, or Muy Thai is, in a practical sense. Even Bruce Lee incorporated it heavily in Jeet Kune Do ( which is more martial philosophy than art)

Old 03-12-2015, 04:15 PM

97 posts, read 125,958 times

Though the restraining techniques are useful (not the same as saying they are effective for everyone b/c it requires discipline), defending against a bladed weapon is not something you can learn overnight.

Last edited by introspective; 03-12-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 02:12 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
Deadliest, I dunno, but I always thought Steven Segal could beat Van Damme.
ur right on that..van dame is a ballet dancer not a martial artist

Old 04-02-2015, 10:10 AM

948 posts, read 921,499 times
Kendo's not in decline, not in Japan anyway. There are kendo clubs all over, even for kids, especially in the wealthier neighborhoods (where the cost of equipment doesn't scare people off ).

I heard that you need to study kendo to be on the police force. People interested in acting may also want to pick it up to get roles in period movies. But most people just do it because they think it's cool.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:09 AM

491 posts, read 324,622 times
Tae-Kwon-Do and Muay Thai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia