Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,650 times

Advertisements

Asia is the birthplace of spices. Hot food was not generally eaten in western cultures and Africa.
What do you think?

In SW China and Korea, only chillis are the main ingridients for flavor. In SE and S asia, all spices are the ingridients.

But most of the spicy cuisines are popular in poorer parts of Asia, Southwestern China( Coastal and Northern China are richer and do not prefer spicy food), Southeast Asia and South Asia. Korean cuisine is spicy too(North Korea is poor while South Korea is less poor) Any correlations between wealth and hot flavor?

As a person who is not from those regions, and not well used to hot food. Do you like those cuisines or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 04:40 PM

176 posts, read 631,991 times
Chilis came from the Americas and have only been in Asia a few hundred years.

Sichuan food is popular all over China and its mix of chilis and sichuan pepper (which has a numbing effect and is native to China) is pretty addictive. The good stuff will blow your head off. Very hard to find the real thing outside of China. It tastes nothing like most of the crap they serve at American Chinese restaurants.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:10 PM

510 posts, read 609,907 times
I was able to find good szechuan food in Singapore (and of course, in China) but so far it has evaded me here in Seattle :-( I really, really like the numbing szechuan peppers (麻椒), but the spiciest/hottest food I have ever had was in Thailand.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:15 PM

420 posts, read 704,395 times
Koreans don't play when it comes to chili. A friend of mine referred to kimchi as "cabbage mixed with lava".

I grew up on Korean food, and don't really have a good sense of it being spicy.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:41 PM

176 posts, read 631,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I was able to find good szechuan food in Singapore (and of course, in China) but so far it has evaded me here in Seattle :-( I really, really like the numbing szechuan peppers (麻椒), but the spiciest/hottest food I have ever had was in Thailand.
There is a somewhat authentic sichuan place in Chinatown in Seattle. It's very close to Hao Hao Market. Not amazing but much closer to the original than I've ever had stateside. I think it's called sichuanese cuisine. Doesn't really hold a candle to a good sichuan restaurant in China though from what I remember.

Indian guys seem to eat the spiciest food but I've never really had spicy food at an Indian joint. Will have to take a trip there someday to see what the real thing is like.

Last edited by jm21; 12-15-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 10:13 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Based on my own experience, Far East Asian cuisines from most to least spicy...

1.Thai

2.Indian
3.Indonesian
4.Malaysian
5.Singaporean/Vietnamese
7.Chinese
8.Korean
9.Japanese

Old 12-16-2014, 02:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Based on my own experience, Far East Asian cuisines from most to least spicy...

1.Thai

2.Indian
3.Indonesian
4.Malaysian
5.Singaporean/Vietnamese
7.Chinese
8.Korean
9.Japanese
"Chinese" is too broad for this purpose. Southeast China has no (original) spicy food at all, but Sichuan, Hunan etc. have very spicy food.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Hunan and Sichuan food is fairly spicy.

Thai and Indian are both pretty spicy.

This is all relative to me, because I lather basically *everything* in habanero and ghost pepper sauces I import from the States, so they all seem pretty tame, though delicious nonetheless. I imported some habanero, ghost, and scorpion pepper seeds from back home and paid a local farm to grow them for me for my restaurant here...

Old 12-17-2014, 12:54 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
I'm Vietnamese-Chinese-American. Vietnamese food is very spicy. Those small, hot thai chili peppers are used in Banh Mi, Bun Bo Hue, Pho and the dipping sauce nuoc mam.

People sometimes hold these chili peppers and eat them just like that when they're eating their meal.

Also, the now very ubiquitous siracha hot sauce that you see in many Asian restaurants are made by a Vietnamese-Chinese-American company.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:11 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I'm Vietnamese-Chinese-American. Vietnamese food is very spicy. Those small, hot thai chili peppers are used in Banh Mi, Bun Bo Hue, Pho and the dipping sauce nuoc mam.

People sometimes hold these chili peppers and eat them just like that when they're eating their meal.

Also, the now very ubiquitous siracha hot sauce that you see in many Asian restaurants are made by a Vietnamese-Chinese-American company.
I dont consider Vietnamese foods very spicey compared to other asian foods, especially if you compare it with Lao or Thai cuisine

Vietnamese food is one of the more mild asian cuisines, they like to use the freshest ingredients
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia