U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,149,273 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think a person would have to be Indian, to see and experience Mumbai's kaleidoscope of lingual, religious, and general cultural diversity.

But if a person isn't from India, than everyone just looks and acts Indian to the outsider.

I visited and loved Mumbai. I did see some tourists around, just like every city has tourists. But for the most part, everyone and everything seemed very 'Indian' to me. I did see an immense diversity of food though, and I recognized that all of these amazing Indian restaurants were a reflect of the massive diversity of the Indian people themselves.

But, all of that diversity is within the same country, and from an outsider perspective, it all still looks and feels 'very Indian' than anything else.
Precisely my point :P that's why i don't see Mumbai as a diverse place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I guess that's why the OP put Mumbai, Jakarta, and Manila on their Top 10 List.

Honestly speaking, with ALL of ASIA pretty much having a nearly non-existent 'Immigrant Nation' policy, that's about as diverse as they can get.

I have two kids born in Asia. I hate when people ask me, "OH, does that mean they have X Passport and Nationality for being born in Asian Country X?" The answer is always 'no'.

In pretty much every country in Asia, there are blue eyed blond people somewhere in them, that were born and raised in Asian country X. But every single local who encounters will ASSUME that person is a tourist who just stepped into their country yesterday.

Until one of the countries in Asia, steps up and says 'we're taking immigrants, move to Country X, and you can get land rights, voting rights, citizenship rights, on and on', than none of these countries will ever really be multicultural.

The only one that kind of does that is Singapore. Malaysia is kinda sorta like that, mostly by default than anything else though, and it's tenuous at best.
The OP didn't put Jakarta on the list, but to be honest he should've considering he puts Mumbai and Manila on the list, compared to Manila especially, Jakarta is wayy more diverse considering the hundreds of ethnic we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Name five cities in Asia that are more multicultural than Mumbai.
HK, Singapore, KL, Shanghai, Bangkok

I rate city as diverse considering their ethnic groups and also the number of expat/immigrants/tourist, that gives it the multicultural vibe.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-06-2014 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,186 posts, read 23,719,114 times
Reputation: 11640
Interesting candidates might be some Israeli cities. While they are majority Jewish, that Jewish-ness encompasses a pretty wide swath of people from many different parts of Europe, Central Asia, the Middle East, North Africa, Ethiopia, and random communities from elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 AM
 
147 posts, read 174,296 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Yes only if you include Malaysians but Bangkok and Hong Kong have a lot more international tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
As Davy has mentioned, most of the tourists are Malaysian either visiting or working there from Johor Bahru, other than that Indonesian also are well presented there lol but it does have quiet a number of international tourists but not to the level of HK or Bangkok.

I did put Singapore on the list of multicultural society though, and i put Bangkok in tourist visit category.



To me it didn't have any multicultural senses, just like Manila, since most of the people are just "Indian" and the fact that it didn't have the international vibe.

Tourism in Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's not true at all. If you look at the breakup of tourists, you can see how evenly spread it is. The largest group is from Indonesia, not, Malaysia.

In contrast, among the top 15 China absolutely dwarfs the rest in visitor numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism..._nationalities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 AM
 
147 posts, read 174,296 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I guess that's why the OP put Mumbai, Jakarta, and Manila on their Top 10 List.

Honestly speaking, with ALL of ASIA pretty much having a nearly non-existent 'Immigrant Nation' policy, that's about as diverse as they can get.

I have two kids born in Asia. I hate when people ask me, "OH, does that mean they have X Passport and Nationality for being born in Asian Country X?" The answer is always 'no'.

In pretty much every country in Asia, there are blue eyed blond people somewhere in them, that were born and raised in Asian country X. But every single local who encounters will ASSUME that person is a tourist who just stepped into their country yesterday.

Until one of the countries in Asia, steps up and says 'we're taking immigrants, move to Country X, and you can get land rights, voting rights, citizenship rights, on and on', than none of these countries will ever really be multicultural.

The only one that kind of does that is Singapore. Malaysia is kinda sorta like that, mostly by default than anything else though, and it's tenuous at best.
Dubai might not allow foreigners to have citizenship (not sure if they do), but it feels more like a mini world than somewhere in Arabia. Emiratis make up only 15%, the rest being a diverse mix from all over the world, bringing their culture.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
Dubai might not allow foreigners to have citizenship (not sure if they do), but it feels more like a mini world than somewhere in Arabia. Emiratis make up only 15%, the rest being a diverse mix from all over the world, bringing their culture.etc.
Dubai does NOT allow foreigners to have citizenship. You can be deported at any time. Just for any reason whatsoever. For example, if your employer fires you, you have to leave the country within 24 hours.

Incidentally, I quite like that 'multicultural' feel or 'cosmopolitan' feel of Dubai as well...

But, it's not a true multicultural society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 AM
 
147 posts, read 174,296 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Dubai does NOT allow foreigners to have citizenship. You can be deported at any time. Just for any reason whatsoever. For example, if your employer fires you, you have to leave the country within 24 hours.

Incidentally, I quite like that 'multicultural' feel or 'cosmopolitan' feel of Dubai as well...

But, it's not a true multicultural society.
Wow, 24 hours? That's pretty strict lol.

Yeah it's funny you see more women wearing the hijab in Southwestern Sydney than in Dubai (not sure about Abu Dhabi).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,828,919 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I guess that's why the OP put Mumbai, Jakarta, and Manila on their Top 10 List.

Honestly speaking, with ALL of ASIA pretty much having a nearly non-existent 'Immigrant Nation' policy, that's about as diverse as they can get.

I have two kids born in Asia. I hate when people ask me, "OH, does that mean they have X Passport and Nationality for being born in Asian Country X?" The answer is always 'no'.

In pretty much every country in Asia, there are blue eyed blond people somewhere in them, that were born and raised in Asian country X. But every single local who encounters will ASSUME that person is a tourist who just stepped into their country yesterday.

Until one of the countries in Asia, steps up and says 'we're taking immigrants, move to Country X, and you can get land rights, voting rights, citizenship rights, on and on', than none of these countries will ever really be multicultural.

The only one that kind of does that is Singapore. Malaysia is kinda sorta like that, mostly by default than anything else though, and it's tenuous at best.

Bahrain has allowed foreigners to own land and get citizenship and even made a whole Island targeted at them in Amwaj

Amwaj Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Bahrain has allowed foreigners to own land and get citizenship and even made a whole Island targeted at them in Amwaj

Amwaj Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting. But, as a foreigner myself, I can't personally imagine settling down roots in Bahrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2014, 06:07 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,828,919 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting. But, as a foreigner myself, I can't personally imagine settling down roots in Bahrain.

But many have. Ethnic Bahraini's are the minority, on top of citizens themselves being a minority. I think less than have of the people here are citizens, and only about a third are ethnic Bahraini. Lots of ex-pats, let alone the contractor/military types. There is also a willingness among the Bharaini's to marry outisde of their culture. I know a black American ex-pat who is married to a Bahraini. A white-hispanic American military men, who technically works in Saudi now, but met his girlfriend/fiance' while stationed in Bahrain, whose girlfriend is Bahraini, with an Arab father and Filipino mother. I'm about ot go have coffee with a Lebanese teacher who also started her own business here. So though personally you can't, it seems many people can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2014, 06:35 AM
 
Location: West Jakarta + Tangerang
376 posts, read 744,735 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
Tourism in Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's not true at all. If you look at the breakup of tourists, you can see how evenly spread it is. The largest group is from Indonesia, not, Malaysia.
Yeah ,it's because of the location of Singapore,Malaysia and Indonesia were very close, I know many people in Indonesia who likes to go to Singapore for vacation, shopping and medical treatment. and you need to know also the biggest contributor to tourists in Indonesia is Singapore then followed Cina, Malaysia, Australia, Japan, Korea etc. The greatest contributor of tourists in Indonesia many come from countries near / Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top