U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 PM
 
621 posts, read 382,574 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Because chinatowns are a fairly modern construct from when there was heavy enforced segregation and much less integration so these segregated neighborhoods would keep going? These were built because these were legally enforced segregated neighborhoods meant to keep people easily contained and destroyed if deemed necessary.

There were overseas Chinese communities from hundreds of years prior to the establishment of the Manila chinatown--most of them ended up being assimilated especially if they went really far, but others became subcultures within those new homes.

The probably most numerous of these would be those in the Malay peninsula and surrounding islands since that was such a valuable trade route. Those communities still exist as Peranakan Chinese/Baba-Nyonya and that started with a smaller first wave in the 10th century and then became much larger with another wave starting in the beginning of the 15th century. However, they didn't become ghettoized into a single Chinatown, but were instead settled throughout and had a lot of freedom of movement. This became much less so as trade become the monopoly of colonial powers who had strong incentives for controlling, regulating, and taxing trade.

Also in the same region in overlapping eras would be a lot of Indian influence, especially those of the previously dominant Tamil kingdoms.

It's interesting that both groups had long standing communities in the region and that was only magnified during the colonial era when even more came in as laborers and traders. The Malacca straits region were always international as it had been a major international trade route for about a millennium and a half.
However, you can't deny the fact that geographical wise Manila is more proximate to China than Malay peninsula. One of the most substantial reason why the first of it's kind was established in Manila. I just think that your reasoning are by-product of prejudiced views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2014, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Sandpoint, Idaho
2,897 posts, read 5,278,701 times
Reputation: 3073
singapore, by a mile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 07:03 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
However, you can't deny the fact that geographical wise Manila is more proximate to China than Malay peninsula. One of the most substantial reason why the first of it's kind was established in Manila. I just think that your reasoning are by-product of prejudiced views.
What? That rebuttal makes no sense.

First of all, why would I deny that Manila is geographically closer? When has anyone intimated that it isn't?

Then what you after addresses nothing of what I've said.

Then you finish up by ignoring me citing historical records to dismiss what I've said, which you don't even address anyhow, as a by-product of prejudiced views.

Is your response a by-product of barely functional literacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 09:20 PM
 
Location: downtown
1,826 posts, read 1,241,128 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
singapore, by a mile
Yeah. Saw something on pbs once that interviewed a family who was was from Burma by way of Baghdad. Guess they were arab or something.

gotta have some wealth to be one of the top multicultural cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Sandpoint, Idaho
2,897 posts, read 5,278,701 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
gotta have some wealth to be one of the top multicultural cities.
I think there is a lot of truth to that statement, especially for those who are transitioning from a monocultural country. Look at Europe. The process has been--how shall I say it--rather uneven and bitter. The first century of the US and the scars it has left us shows just how difficult a task it is when looking through the lens of peoples with finite lives.

What must happen is that the country must begin to look at its itself as a supracultural nation--rare for most individuals hopelessly wedded to their families, neighborhoods and traditions.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 AM
 
621 posts, read 382,574 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What? That rebuttal makes no sense.

First of all, why would I deny that Manila is geographically closer? When has anyone intimated that it isn't?

Then what you after addresses nothing of what I've said.

Then you finish up by ignoring me citing historical records to dismiss what I've said, which you don't even address anyhow, as a by-product of prejudiced views.

Is your response a by-product of barely functional literacy?
What do you mean by intimidated? Cant you even choose a better word in place of that? Also what do you mean by historical records when you did not even cite any link or references on what you were talking about? Was it historical records or merely half-truths a bit twisted to favor your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 AM
 
Location: West Jakarta + Tangerang
376 posts, read 743,056 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What? That rebuttal makes no sense.

First of all, why would I deny that Manila is geographically closer? When has anyone intimated that it isn't?

Then what you after addresses nothing of what I've said.

Then you finish up by ignoring me citing historical records to dismiss what I've said, which you don't even address anyhow, as a by-product of prejudiced views.

Is your response a by-product of barely functional literacy?
Indonesia has always considered malaysia, australia, singapore, thailand, vietnam and timor leste as neighboring countries are close and never mentioned "philipines" as neighboring countrie because the location is philipines very far of western Indonesia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 04:28 AM
 
621 posts, read 382,574 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Indonesia has always considered malaysia, australia, singapore, thailand, vietnam and timor leste as neighboring countries are close and never mentioned "philipines" as neighboring countrie because the location is philipines very far of western Indonesia.
Uh huh, so whats the hush & buzz all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 07:32 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
What do you mean by intimidated? Cant you even choose a better word in place of that? Also what do you mean by historical records when you did not even cite any link or references on what you were talking about? Was it historical records or merely half-truths a bit twisted to favor your point?
I did choose a better word for it. I said intimated--not intimidated. Try actually reading. The two words have very, very different meanings.

Uh, you can't look this up? Nyonya, Peranakan, overseas Chinese, Chinese diaspora, etc.? Do you need to learn how to google or something? Tell me, what's the half-truth here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 11:04 AM
 
2,025 posts, read 2,352,657 times
Reputation: 1956
Not really a city...but evolving into an urban area...Phuket Thailand. One of the most global places in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top