Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:14 AM

375 posts, read 1,000,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
We'll I agree with you that when it comes to Multi-culturalism. Batavia is under-rated, in that the same Arabs, Chinese and Indians who went to Malaysia and Singapore also obviously went to Jakarta. Just look at history. Majapahit is an Indianized Empire (Obv. Indian introgression) and the first Sultans of Indonesia have Arab and Persian descent and the original people of Indonesia are Austronesians.

But everybody seems to forget this and just focuses on Malaysia and Singapore as multi-cultural.

Furthermore, there are races in Jakarta not found in Malaysia or Singapore. I.E: Jakarta has Papuans from Eastern Indonesia and Papuans cannot be found in Malaysia or Singapore. Yet all the races found in Malaysia and Singapore can also be found in Jakarta (Chinese, Indians and Malays)

Obviously, Jakarta is more multi-cultural than Singapore in that you have Papuan-people which they don't have. Yet everybody believes the hype that Malaysia and Singapore are more multi-cultural than Indonesia. Which is dead wrong, and proof that people are ignorant of history.

That's the same feeling we have, wherein everybody considers Malaysia and Singapore more multi-cultural yet we have access to the same populations they have (Chinese, Indians and Malays) but we have a little extra (Latinos) which they don't have.

Yet people claim, in their ignorance that Singapore is more multicultural than us.

I think Jakarta and Manila should be tied at the number one spot (Because of history, duh) and we should place those over-hyped arrogant Malaysians and Singaporeans down to second place, via the shining truth of our history.
ur right but some wrong : ....
Sultan are pure Indonesian, are not persian / arabic descent or whatever . I live in Jakarta, I very rarely see people of Papua live in jakarta unless you write people like Moluccan and Nusa Tenggara timur , some almost enough on the corner of Jakarta,

in Jakarta, mostly ethnic Betawi, Javanese, Chinese, Sundanese etc. but there some are Japanese,Arabian,Indian,Korean,Australian,Dutch Etc.

In Indonesian, we have the people of Papua, Moluccan , Flores,Timor etc. who live in the East and sometimes considers "themselves" are same with Pacific islander people , although they are also Indonesian.
in the Philipines, which I know almost all the islands there is a growing population Negritos and parallel to the natives living in the Philipines, it is a boon.

My opinion Austronesian are language group, this link History Indonesian you read here, about fact where come from Indonesian this article is same exactly with the lesson I got at my school. History of Indonesia - Indonesian History - Origin of Indonesia - Indonesia Historical Information.

here I say Jakarta is Melting Pot ( multiculture) also along with some other big cities in Indonesia :

Melting Pot Of Jakarta City
Weekly 5: Jakarta

Melting Pot Of Semarang City
Semarang, the Melting Pot of Indonesia | The Daily Roar

Melting Pot Of Medan City
Medan: Indonesia's Melting Pot | The Jakarta Globe

Last edited by stevania01; 08-18-2014 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:48 PM

23,262 posts, read 23,621,950 times
I would say, Singapore, for sure.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:22 AM

732 posts, read 771,219 times
I also think Singapore or Dubai.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 AM

72 posts, read 96,729 times
About some of the choices:
1. Abu Dhabi, like Dubai is also in the UAE. The total population of Abu Dhabi is actually higher than of Dubai. Abu Dhabi has 75% expat population while Dubai has 80%. So Abu Dhabi would definitely be added to the list.

2. I lived in the Philippines for 2 years. Manila is not mulitcultural. There are cities in the Philippines with higher percentage of expats (think Angeles City, Subic Bay), but nowhere near the expat populations found in the GCC countries (see below).

3. You left out a couple of other cities in Southwest Asian countries that have high expat populations:
a. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (25% expat population).
b. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (35% expat population).
b. Kuwait City (25% expat population).
c. Doha, Qatar (94% expat population).

Unfortunately, high expat populations in SWA generally mean more men coming for work than women. The higher the expat population, the higher the gender imbalance. The UAE has a 2.75:1 ratio of men to women (age 15 to 74). Qatar has close to a 4 to 1 ratio. Great for the girls I suppose, but terrible for guys.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:54 AM

3,070 posts, read 8,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtm7 View Post
About some of the choices:
1. Abu Dhabi, like Dubai is also in the UAE. The total population of Abu Dhabi is actually higher than of Dubai. Abu Dhabi has 75% expat population while Dubai has 80%. So Abu Dhabi would definitely be added to the list.

2. I lived in the Philippines for 2 years. Manila is not mulitcultural. There are cities in the Philippines with higher percentage of expats (think Angeles City, Subic Bay), but nowhere near the expat populations found in the GCC countries (see below).

3. You left out a couple of other cities in Southwest Asian countries that have high expat populations:
a. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (25% expat population).
b. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (35% expat population).
b. Kuwait City (25% expat population).
c. Doha, Qatar (94% expat population).

Unfortunately, high expat populations in SWA generally mean more men coming for work than women. The higher the expat population, the higher the gender imbalance. The UAE has a 2.75:1 ratio of men to women (age 15 to 74). Qatar has close to a 4 to 1 ratio. Great for the girls I suppose, but terrible for guys.

I was unable to find stats for Manama specifically, but the country as a whole is over 50% expat, with thebulk of th epopulationbeing in Manama and the surrounding areas and a 1.54:1 male/female ratio. Add to that the number of undocumented women here, which out number the undocmenuted men, and it's fairly even.

edit: in Bahrain most retail is and domestic work is done by women, typically Fillipinos. Also a sizable Ethiopian population that works the salons, and Thai that does massages and works in restaurants. Not to mention the sex workers of various nationalities that live here.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Manila as an answer seems nonsensical.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:04 AM

in what way?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
in what way?
In the way that there are so many in the continent of Asia and having Manila as the most multicultural city in Asia is ridiculous outside of creating an extremely limited and generally ridiculous definition of multicultural?

I'm sure that for any city or country there will be natives who will blindly vote for their city or capital, but the question would be who outside of the natives would vote the same?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-27-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In the way that there are so many in the continent of Asia and having Manila as the most multicultural city in Asia is ridiculous outside of creating an extremely limited and generally ridiculous definition of multicultural?

I'm sure that for any city or country there will be natives who will blindly vote for their city or capital, but the question would be who outside of the natives would vote the same?
ehh. Well the Philippines has more than 100 ethnolinguistic groups, so Manila is probably very multicultural. But since most of those ethnic groups look the same, people dont think of it as multi-cultural. I guess when we mean multi-cultural, we really mean multi-racial, even if all those people speak the same language, share the same religion, and culture.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Some may have claimed it more multicultural than other cities in Asia not the most in a superlative way. However, it is just but proper since it definitely is one of those most multi-cultural/racial in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia