U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Independent from now on...
Palestina 13 17.81%
Kurdistan 17 23.29%
Siberia 32 43.84%
Uyghurstan 8 10.96%
Tibet 23 31.51%
Seven Sister States 3 4.11%
Moluccas 3 4.11%
None of them 7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2014, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Reputation: 4851

Advertisements

Which of these area's should be independent (have their own country) iyo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM
 
147 posts, read 173,789 times
Reputation: 47
Kurdistan, Uyghur parts of Xinjiang and maybe a Siberian state. I don't know much about the situation, I used to think a two state solution in Israel/Palestine would be good but now I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 AM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,197,923 times
Reputation: 3294
Kurdistan, Uyghuristan, Tibet, and the Moluccas seem to have the best cases for this.

I don't think creating "Palestine" will help end the violence in the area and may well increase it. Much better for Jordan to reannex part of the West Bank and Egypt to reannex part of Gaza while Isreal has to give citizenship to the residents of any of these areas that it decides to annex.

Other than Russia just being a massive country I don't see any reason for Siberian independence, but I would be glad to hear a case for it. In the end it just seems like you'd have a vast, resource rich, thinly populated country just begging for someone to invade it.

I'll admit I had to look up what the Seven Sister States were. It seems like such a varied region in some ways that group independence would only create a less stable region than it would be as part of India
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Reputation: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Other than Russia just being a massive country I don't see any reason for Siberian independence, but I would be glad to hear a case for it. In the end it just seems like you'd have a vast, resource rich, thinly populated country just begging for someone to invade it.
Move all the Russians to the west of the Ural mountains.

Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug to the Nenets,
Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug to the Khanty and Mansi,
Kurgan Oblast, Tyumen Oblast and Omsk Oblast to the Polish,
Altai Krai and Altai Republic to the Altay,
Republic of Khakassia to the Khakas,
Tuva Republic to the Tuva,
Evenk Autonomous Okrug to the Evenks,
Sakha Republic to the Yakuts,
Chukotka Autonomous Okrug to the Chukchi,
Kamchatka Krai to the Koryaks,
Republic of Buryatia to the Buryats,
Magadan Oblast to the Ukrainians,
Khabarovsk Krai to the Dutch,
Sakhalin Oblast to the Ainu,
Jewish Autonomous Oblast and Primorsky Krai to the Manchu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 AM
 
110 posts, read 106,678 times
Reputation: 25
Tibet is the best choice.

Palestine on the other hand is so critical now...but #ISupportIsrael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post

Other than Russia just being a massive country I don't see any reason for Siberian independence, but I would be glad to hear a case for it. In the end it just seems like you'd have a vast, resource rich, thinly populated country just begging for someone to invade it.
Why don't you just say you simply hate Russia and will support anything that weakens it instead of attempting to justify your argument using some dubious explanation.

Would you support independence of Alaska from the US? Or better, the three northern territories of Canada, with about 107k people on a land of 4 millions sq km?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,197,923 times
Reputation: 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why don't you just say you simply hate Russia and will support anything that weakens it instead of attempting to justify your argument using some dubious explanation.

Would you support independence of Alaska from the US? Or better, the three northern territories of Canada, with about 107k people on a land of 4 millions sq km?
I thought I was pretty clear that I thought there was no reason for Siberia to be independent from Russia.

But I do think secession by states from the US is legal. But again just like Siberia an independent Alaska or Northern Canada would simply be a population thin, resource rich area that was ripe for the picking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Earth
4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I thought I was pretty clear that I thought there was no reason for Siberia to be independent from Russia.

But I do think secession by states from the US is legal. But again just like Siberia an independent Alaska or Northern Canada would simply be a population thin, resource rich area that was ripe for the picking.
I think an independent siberia would be helpful to weaken russia and get even with Putin for taking Crimea. There's also tons of resources to be exploited there and it would be much easier to build the bering strait sea tunnel to connect north america with Asia. Also, many Chinese are emigrating there since there are not enough russians in the area. I don't think populating it will be a problem. Tibet should also be independent. There is a lot of water there to be exploited. In the future, water will be as valuable as oil. Its easier to exploit with the PLA out of the way and in process save Tibetan culture. None of the Muslim states should get independence. They would be jihad factories. I would consider Kurdistan only because they are the most secular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Reputation: 4851
"The Russian conquest of Siberia was accompanied by massacres due to indigenous resistance to colonization by the Russian Cossacks, who savagely crushed the natives. At the hands of people like Vasilii Poyarkov in 1645 and Yerofei Khabarov in 1650 some peoples like the Daur were slaughtered by the Russians to the extent that it is considered genocide. 8,000 out of a previously 20,000 strong population in Kamchatka remained after being subjected to half a century of Cossacks slaughter. In the 1640s the Yakuts were subjected to slaughters during the Russian advance into their land near the Lena river, and on Kamchatka in the 1690s the Koryak, Kamchadals, and Chukchi were also subjected to slaughters by the Russians.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russi...est_of_Siberia

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-08-2014 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think an independent siberia would be helpful to weaken russia and get even with Putin for taking Crimea. .
what should happen to "get even" for the US, UK and France to get all their overseas territories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top