Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 AM

142 posts, read 239,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I am most curious what will happen with that in the future.

My guess is that more and more Chinese who eventually gain Singaporean citizenship, might in a generation or two, end up in Bohor Jahru, and making the southern tip of Malaysia more Chinese ethnicity in population.

Perhaps.
I just wonder how much they will influence the culture versus Singapore influencing them. People might think being Chinese majority that there won't be cultural differences, but the culture of Singapore is still very different to that of China in many ways. Singapore has never been a 'Chinese enclave' in SEA, it's always been a stridently multicultural, 'multiracial' nation, from the language, cuisine, customs.etc. The Chinese come from a different background, a much more homogeneous one. My mother grew up with things like Hari Raya and Deepavali, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
People might think being Chinese majority that there won't be cultural differences, but the culture of Singapore is still very different to that of China in many ways.
So true!

I'm up here in Hong Kong/Macau area...and the Mainland Chinese are significantly different from the Chinese who grew up in HK/Macau.

I just don't see how Singapore can even enforce all those laws they have with that segment of the population. Often I think the only reason Singapore even created so many 'social order' types of laws, was BECAUSE of the Mainland Chinese...

Old 08-09-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
So true!

I'm up here in Hong Kong/Macau area...and the Mainland Chinese are significantly different from the Chinese who grew up in HK/Macau.

I just don't see how Singapore can even enforce all those laws they have with that segment of the population. Often I think the only reason Singapore even created so many 'social order' types of laws, was BECAUSE of the Mainland Chinese...
Well a lot of those laws long preceded the influx from the PRC, when China was largely a closed society. It was part of Lee's grand plan to 'civilise' Singapore, to make it like Switzerland (which he used as a role model), during the crucial development years of they 60s and the 70s. It was designed to make Singaporeans live more harmonious and civic-minded.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:10 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,474 times
Quote:
I am most curious what will happen with that in the future.

My guess is that more and more Chinese who eventually gain Singaporean citizenship, might in a generation or two, end up in Bohor Jahru, and making the southern tip of Malaysia more Chinese ethnicity in population.

Perhaps.

I think in the not too distant future we'll eventually see an EU style setup in the ASEAN region allowing freer movement, without the countries necessarily re-uniting.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I think in the not too distant future we'll eventually see an EU style setup in the ASEAN region allowing freer movement, without the countries necessarily re-uniting.
Hmm...I can't imagine that. Interesting idea though.

That might be an interesting Thread to start...

Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
If that was the case I don't know if it would be a good idea for Singapore.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 AM

7 posts, read 6,960 times
Hong Kong is similar to Singapore in many ways but HK imports few foregin workers except domestic helpers. Many low-paid jobs are done by new immigrants which will eventually become full citizens in the future from Mainland China and South Asia. Brunei , Macau and the Gulf countries have been importing foreign workers for many decades. Australia is a rich country but it does not have a foreign worker policy, it has an immigration policy of skilled immigrants from many different countries.
Quote:
I don't think Singapore would really be able to function without a large foreign workforce. Singaporean culture deems that to be successful you need to be a doctor, lawyer, banker or businessman and the low wages, poor conditions=poor social prestige. In the link that the OP posted most of those top ten sectors staffed by foreigners such as construction, mechanical and service workers would consist of lowly paid positions that few Singaporeans would be willing to work in so it's a bit of a case of having your cake and eating it too.

Probably the most significant factor however is that Singapore has nearly the lowest birthrate in the world with 1.19 children per woman, in 1970 this was at 3.07! So there is an obvious demographic bulge at the upper end of the age pyramids and birth rates now below replacement the only possible way to cover this and keep the economy churning along is through recruiting foreign labour.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 6,960 times
Singapore's strict laws and society resembles that of the middle east, and unlike modern England, India or China
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
Well a lot of those laws long preceded the influx from the PRC, when China was largely a closed society. It was part of Lee's grand plan to 'civilise' Singapore, to make it like Switzerland (which he used as a role model), during the crucial development years of they 60s and the 70s. It was designed to make Singaporeans live more harmonious and civic-minded.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijskae View Post
Singapore's strict laws and society resembles that of the middle east, and unlike modern England, India or China
China doesn't have strict laws? lol Do you know how long the list of capital crimes is?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 AM

83 posts, read 206,102 times
As a colonial construct, Singapore is like any other colony, the population is imported via immigration to meet the needs of the colonists and their plantations, banks and industries. Therefore, it does not have to have any resemblance to the native population there prior to colonization. So to speak of 'native' when speaking of a colonial society is a relative term.

And to that point, it is not racist to say the Malaysian aborigine or Malay (which I hate because of the racist history attached to the term) is truly the only 'native' of Singapore by blood and history. Just read the old books on the creation of Singapore and you will see the natives prior to the influx of immigrants.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...s_of_Singapore

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-10-2014 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Only 2 videos per post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia