U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:33 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,180,478 times

Advertisements

The future of JOHOR BAHRU (Malaysia) as Singapore's population swells...

This is purely a speculation thread...but it seems that more and more Singaporeans are looking at property and such in Johor Bahru, to afford rent, and find more space.

What are your speculations of Johor Bahru because of this? Will it later begin to share more of a Singaporean-like culture? Will Singlish became a part of Johor Bahru as well?

Are there also any movements of Singaporeans who seek the rural lifestyle out on the periphery of Johor Bahru as well?

How about civil development for Johor Bahru? As more money might potentially come from Singaporeans coming over, does anyone see this eventually going into public works - parks, better infrastructure and public transportation, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:43 AM

147 posts, read 174,069 times
JB already does, and has for a long time, shared similar cultural traits with Singapore. While not unique in Malaysia, it has a large ethnic Chinese population, traditionally a large Hokkien population, although now many speak Mandarin there, as in Singapore. Some dishes like curry laksa (also found throughout Singapore but particularly typical of Singapore). The Malay dialect of Johor is very similar to Singaporean Malay. JB lacks the Indian component though I think.

Manglish (Malaysian English) is already similar enough to Singlish, and is widely spoken in JB as elsewhere in Malaysia.

JB could indeed benefit from Singaporean investment. This could also apply to the Riau islands, especially Bintan and Batam.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,272,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
JB already does, and has for a long time, shared similar cultural traits with Singapore. While not unique in Malaysia, it has a large ethnic Chinese population, traditionally a large Hokkien population, although now many speak Mandarin there, as in Singapore. Some dishes like curry laksa (also found throughout Singapore but particularly typical of Singapore). The Malay dialect of Johor is very similar to Singaporean Malay. JB lacks the Indian component though I think.

Manglish (Malaysian English) is already similar enough to Singlish, and is widely spoken in JB as elsewhere in Malaysia.

JB could indeed benefit from Singaporean investment. This could also apply to the Riau islands, especially Bintan and Batam.
Hmmm are you a Singaporean ?

Old 08-09-2014, 04:50 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,272,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The future of JOHOR BAHRU (Malaysia) as Singapore's population swells...

This is purely a speculation thread...but it seems that more and more Singaporeans are looking at property and such in Johor Bahru, to afford rent, and find more space.

What are your speculations of Johor Bahru because of this? Will it later begin to share more of a Singaporean-like culture? Will Singlish became a part of Johor Bahru as well?

Are there also any movements of Singaporeans who seek the rural lifestyle out on the periphery of Johor Bahru as well?

How about civil development for Johor Bahru? As more money might potentially come from Singaporeans coming over, does anyone see this eventually going into public works - parks, better infrastructure and public transportation, etc.?
People from JB will have absolutly no problems understanding SinglisH. i dont think in general Singaporeans want a rural lifestyle.. They just want a rural cost of living..LOL

Old 08-09-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
JB lacks the Indian component though I think.
I just looked it up, 9% Indian ethnicity in JB.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
People from JB will have absolutly no problems understanding SinglisH. i dont think in general Singaporeans want a rural lifestyle.. They just want a rural cost of living..LOL
When a 'rural lifestyle' isn't an option for you, than it's easy to dismiss the possibility altogether.

Personally, I think it would be cool if Singapore could be a much larger nation than it already is. Many of the laws and such are just way more multicultural in nature, than Malaysia.

From my limited understanding, Malaysia creates quite a few 'For the Malay advantage only' types of laws.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:12 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,946 times
^singlish and manglish is almost the same, the slang might be slightly different but otherthan that its same the same language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hmmm are you a Singaporean ?
Ohh happy bday Singapore!

Hehehe i think you know who is back again

Old 08-09-2014, 07:14 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
^singlish and manglish is almost the same, the slang might be slightly different but otherthan that its same the same language.

Ohh happy bday Singapore!

Hehehe i think you know who is back again
Me too

Old 08-09-2014, 01:49 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,425,000 times
If every adult Singaporean puts in a couple tens expansion might be possible.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:09 PM

147 posts, read 174,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just looked it up, 9% Indian ethnicity in JB.
Oh interesting, so about the same as Singapore or Malaysia then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or