U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijskae View Post
There are large differences between Canada and the US that make them unable to integrate very fully.
There is a large difference between Seattle and Houston. There is not a large ddifference between US & Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:40 PM

626 posts, read 574,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
There is a large difference between Seattle and Houston. There is not a large ddifference between US & Canada.
I think what the poster means is that the major thing that would make a USA-Canada union difficult, is that the two countires have almost opposite views on major things like healthcare, guns rights, government intervention etc. This difference between the two nations would cause conflict.

OP: Don't see it happening, at least not for a couple of decades. I feel like there too many differences and there isn't a collective identity among asians as there is with Europeans.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
From what I have observed from eopel from SEA. Most people outside of SEA lump them together, but the people that live in these countries are furiously independent from each other. Even when they share borders. But it is really no different than the Western hemisphere or Middle East. Only Europe had this dynamic. Likely due to at various times in it's history someone from Italy, France, or England running everything so a lot of shared heritage.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 AM

147 posts, read 173,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And, do your friends live in Australia, too? There is no pan-Asian identity anywhere in Asia. That's a concept that comes alive after ones moves to the West, where they are, all of a sudden, a minority and need to group together. Just like in the Anglo-American world, a European suddenly becomes "white" instead of German, Spanish, British, etc. In recent times, though, with more non-European foreigners moving into Europe, there has been a greater need to separate the "white people" from the non. These are artificial constructs with its roots in xenophobia. Go to Latin America and very few people have a pan-Latin American identity. With much of Asia having similar development levels and education levels as in Latin America, this is not surprising. If such a pan-Asian identity existed anywhere in Asia, we would already see the infancy of EU style institutions over there, but we don't.

The same exact sentiments don't exist in Europe. In Europe, there is still a concept that they are Europeans. This is not the case in Asia.
I said both. There certainly is a greater sense of Asian identity, they talk about 'us Asians'.etc, and it's not just the ones in Asia. Look I have roots in Asia, I've visited 10 Asian countries, and know many people from many Asian countries, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
I said both. There certainly is a greater sense of Asian identity, they talk about 'us Asians'.etc, and it's not just the ones in Asia. Look I have roots in Asia, I've visited 10 Asian countries, and know many people from many Asian countries, so I think I know what I'm talking about.
I know you have roots in Singapore, but you haven't lived there since you were one year old from what I can remember. You have another poster refuting you, several Filipino posters who want nothing much to do with Asia but want to reintegrate into Latin America, a Singaporean who is fiercely nationalistic about her flag, other Asians that don't like other Asians emigrating to their countries, a country that borders Singapore that practices legal racial preference over other Asians that live there; sorry, but that is not a recipe for a confederation. You don't find this kind of crap in Europe, save for fringe elements

No, they don't talk about 'us Asians'. Only when they move to the West, like you did to Australia, do they do that. When in their home countries, they are Malaysian, Indonesian, Singaporean, Filipino, etc.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 AM

147 posts, read 173,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I know you have roots in Singapore, but you haven't lived there since you were one year old from what I can remember. You have another poster refuting you, several Filipino posters who want nothing much to do with Asia but want to reintegrate into Latin America, a Singaporean who is fiercely nationalistic about her flag, other Asians that don't like other Asians emigrating to their countries, a country that borders Singapore that practices legal racial preference over other Asians that live there; sorry, but that is not a recipe for a confederation. You don't find this kind of crap in Europe, save for fringe elements

No, they don't talk about 'us Asians'. Only when they move to the West, like you did to Australia, do they do that. When in their home countries, they are Malaysian, Indonesian, Singaporean, Filipino, etc.
Where are you? I thought you were a Puerto Rican living in the States?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times
As a Singaporean, as long as you dont say Singapore is a hellhole, i can almost tolerate most of the dissing ..

Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 AM

188 posts, read 186,483 times
Lol there is potential but ASEAN is a way more complicated matter than Europe or Latin-America.

At least in Europe, you all share one language-family, Indo-European and have one religion, Christianity.
The same case in Latin-America, a romance-language and one religion, Christianity...

In Southeast Asia there were 5 language families: Austroasiatic, Austronesian, Hmong–Mien, Sino-Tibetan and Tai–Kadai.
There are also several religions: Animism, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism and Islam.

You cannot compare Europe or Latin-America to Southeast Asia. It is a very very Balkanized region and very very complex.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
No, ASEAN in its current form is very weak and far from having powers like the EU has. For one, the policy of non-interference is really odd. If you do not want to integrate at all, that policy is fine. However, if you want to integrate together, it makes sense that your fellow members have some say on what is going on in the other member countries. Myanmar has long been the black sheep. Still ruled by a military junta, I do not see why the other ASEAN countries would integrate with it. In fact, just recently, some companies in Thailand got trade sanctions from the West for unfair trade practices for having Burmese and Cambodian refugee laborers. Not to mention at lot of political instability everywhere. Thailand cannot even figure out who it wants to be the PM.

Mainland Southeast Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar) have lots of animosity with each other and cannot truly integrate. Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar are too poor and far from ready to look beyond their own borders. Maritime Southeast Asia (Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines) has a bit more similarity with each other, although due to history, the Philippines is the odd man out. The Indonesia-Malaysia conflict before also indicates that they are not exactly that at ease with each other. Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei are closer to each other, because they used to belong to the same colony... but they decided to split rather than remain in the same country. With bumiputra laws in Malaysia, can be difficult for Singapore and Malaysia to truly integrate with each other. Maybe that leaves Malaysia and Brunei that have few issues with each other, except both also claim the Spratlys along with the Philippines and Vietnam. The more I look at this, the more I am convinced there will not be an EU-style setup in our lifetime.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:33 AM

376 posts, read 742,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Mainland Southeast Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar) have lots of animosity with each other and cannot truly integrate. Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar are too poor and far from ready to look beyond their own borders. Maritime Southeast Asia (Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines).
correction :

Malaysia including Mainland Southeast Asia too is Malaysian Penisula north from Sumatra and Singapore, while in the East malaysia in Borneo is Maritime South east Asia.

Asian Mainland Countries are: Central Asia,South Asian ,China, Korea, SE asian (Thailand, Malaysian, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar) and West Asia

Asian Maritime Countries are: : Taiwan, Japan , Indonesia Philipines, Brunei, Singapore, East Malaysia (Borneo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or