Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So, it's the same.

What are the other 'more available options for both to get together,' that occurs in Indonesia, that doesn't occur in Malaysia?
Yes its almost the same, except that in Malaysia the cultural gap is more apparent Indonesia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yes its almost the same, except that in Malaysia the cultural gap is more apparent Indonesia.
This goes back to my other assumption...Indonesia's 0.72% Buddhism...versus Malaysia's 19.8% Buddhism...means larger Buddhist communities, etc. Which means, greater multiculturalism, different cultures that remain distinct, etc.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 AM

142 posts, read 239,254 times
Quote:
That's an important point.

But, do you think that Indonesia has more Muslim/non-Muslim marriages than Malaysia? And if so, what would account for that, if you do believe that to be true?
It seems that way. The Chinese population in Java seemed smaller (?) than in Malaysia, or maybe just better integrated. Of the Indonesians here, it seems quite a few look part Chinese, part Javanese, even if there's overlap. Plus there are no laws forbidding it, so it's mostly familial or personal objections if there are any.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Why are Chinese Indonesians less likely to be Buddhist and more like to be Christian than Chinese Malaysians?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
So the Malaysian government penalizes Malaysian Muslims for marrying non-Muslims? And Indonesia doesn't penalize Indonesian Muslims for marrying non-Muslims?

Just confirming that...I'm not questioning it, just didn't know about that differentiation, and just seeing if I'm reading that right.
I think in Malaysia the non-Muslim has to convert to Islam, at least officially.

In Malaysia, in general, there are many laws that 'protect' Islam. Christians aren't allowed to even proselytise or preach to Muslims and can be prosecuted if they even say hand out leaflets to Muslims. There are blasphemy laws, and specific laws that only apply to Muslims, such as not being able to consume any haram non-Halal food or even things like pre-marital sex. Of course, these laws are often flaunted by less seriously Muslims. Kelantan has something like sharia family law, but not to the extent of Aceh in Sumatra which has full sharia.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
It has something to do with the society and culture, there's no penalty for Muslims to leave their religion too and little discrimination for people who do so. So the gap between the two religion is killed, also there's no law stating that different religion couldn't get together while retaining their belief.

Some study even suggested that most Chinese Indonesians are in fact partially native, while only tiny minority of them are Muslims. Although this could be accounted to the fact that they married non-Muslim native instead.
I wouldn't be surprised. Most Indonesians I've met look more Austronesian on average than most Singaporean or Malaysian Chinese, and apparently half are considered 'Indonesian Chinese or Chinese Indonesian.' Culturally of course almost all speak Indonesian, have Indonesian names. I generally just think of them as Indonesian, the main difference being most aren't Muslim. In Malaysia they would be considered Peranakan.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
Why are Chinese Indonesians less likely to be Buddhist and more like to be Christian than Chinese Malaysians?
In the more religiously Muslim area like Kalimantan or Sumatra, the Chinese are more recent immigrants and its seem that large number of them are Buddhist, although it may quiet vary within the areas. Those who are from Java are more likely to be Christians, in Jakarta there's migration from other islands and lots of the Chinese are also Buddhist.

Quote:
It seems that way. The Chinese population in Java seemed smaller (?) than in Malaysia, or maybe just better integrated. Of the Indonesians here, it seems quite a few look part Chinese, part Javanese, even if there's overlap. Plus there are no laws forbidding it, so it's mostly familial or personal objections if there are any.
Yes the exact number is unknown, since lots of the intermarriage tend to lead to ethnic Chinese not identifying their background anymore. Also with all the previous racial issue many are discouraged, although it seems that only 2.6 million of them says they're Chinese. I find it too hard to believe since their number seems to be much much more, in my observation atleast in the urban areas... 1930 cencus says there are 1.2 million ethnic Chinese living in the country but that's only 2% of the total population, even if they had less birth rate, ww2, killed etc their number definitely is much higher than what's shown in the census of 2010. Plus during the repatriation only recorded 100,000 of them to return to China.

50% of the total Chinese population lives in Java.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. Most Indonesians I've met look more Austronesian on average than most Singaporean or Malaysian Chinese, and apparently half are considered 'Indonesian Chinese or Chinese Indonesian.' Culturally of course almost all speak Indonesian, have Indonesian names. I generally just think of them as Indonesian, the main difference being most aren't Muslim. In Malaysia they would be considered Peranakan.
If they're from Java they're likely to be so, but most of the ethnic Chinese do adopt local language, with few exception where Chinese language is still highly in use such as Batam or West Kalimantan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia