Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,274 times

Advertisements

The best is this incident was not discussed and reported in SIngapore's mainstream media such as channelnewsasia and the straits times ..

Sort of trying to sweep it under the carpet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:23 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Unless if what he meant was if it is going to happen in the Philippines, it wouldn't be given so much attention as the media has more things to talk about like the corruption in the government, crimes and celebrities than to talk about someone pooping outside.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I don't really understand why they have to defecate in public.
Why can't they just look for a public toilet and do it there ? Why don't they have a clue that it is totally a private thing and that it is not something to be shared to everyone ?
This was about 15 years ago, but I remember traveling in Mainland China, and it was not completely uncommon that you'd walk into a bathroom with NO partition walls. I mean, basically along one wall, ALL squat toilets, and on the other wall, all urinals.

Basically, if you are envisioning as I hope I'm conveying it, basically you'd have to squat (usually squatting toilets), in front of absolutely everyone in the entire bathroom.

In short, I think because of those types of bathrooms, Mainland Chinese think WAY LESS of it than anyone else would on the planet. Why they built so many bathrooms like that though in the first place, is a mystery.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well PRCs are saying we are smearing the reputation of Mainlanders and he person may be a Taiwanese or local Singaporean.

http://therealsingapore.com/content/...prc-reputation
This is the exact same rhetoric I hear out of Hong Kong. Everytime HKers complain about anything, Mainlanders immediately claim it's some kind of smear campaign.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Wow, so it's really a hot topic?

Do it in Manila or any other cities, nobody will effing care, let alone the media attention.
I've spent some time in Manila and the Philippines, and I've never seen grown adult people **** in the streets.

I could see it potentially happening in the shanty town areas where there is absolutely no access to bathroom facilities. But that definitely wouldn't occur in the business district of Makati, for example. I can't see it happening anywhere in the Philippines that has any bathroom in vicinity.

My experience with Filipino people, is they personally have a very HIGH standard of cleanliness. I mean, most of the world's nurses come out of that country.

The poverty and dirt and such in the streets is another matter...most likely due to gov't corruption, lack of money going into street cleaning, etc. But, individually, Filipino people are WAY different than Mainlanders.

Thinking about that for a second, it just occurred to me. That's probably the reason that HK/SG people hire FILIPINOS to clean their houses, and not Mainland Chinese.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
I don't know when the last time any of you guys were on the mainland was, but I have never seen an adult laying cable in public in the eight months I've lived here. The filthiness of mainland Chinese cities is overblown tbh. It was different a couple decades ago, sure, but now? If someone did that in public, theyd have a crowd of people around screaming at them for being disgusting.

China doesnt have the slavish attention to cleanliness that other Asian nations do, but it's not India.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've spent some time in Manila and the Philippines, and I've never seen grown adult people **** in the streets.

I could see it potentially happening in the shanty town areas where there is absolutely no access to bathroom facilities. But that definitely wouldn't occur in the business district of Makati, for example. I can't see it happening anywhere in the Philippines that has any bathroom in vicinity.

My experience with Filipino people, is they personally have a very HIGH standard of cleanliness. I mean, most of the world's nurses come out of that country.

The poverty and dirt and such in the streets is another matter...most likely due to gov't corruption, lack of money going into street cleaning, etc. But, individually, Filipino people are WAY different than Mainlanders.

Thinking about that for a second, it just occurred to me. That's probably the reason that HK/SG people hire FILIPINOS to clean their houses, and not Mainland Chinese.
Right Tiger Beer, afterall Singaporeans and Hongkongers hire Filipinos to clean their houses. They could hire mainlanders or Indonesians, but most of them are Filipinos.

One thing I noticed about mainlanders ( cleaners ) is when they clean, they don't use detergents and antibacterials, just water which is why hospitals or places they clean do not have a detergent smell.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 08-15-2014 at 05:36 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't know when the last time any of you guys were on the mainland was, but I have never seen an adult laying cable in public in the eight months I've lived here. The filthiness of mainland Chinese cities is overblown tbh. It was different a couple decades ago, sure, but now? If someone did that in public, theyd have a crowd of people around screaming at them for being disgusting.

China doesnt have the slavish attention to cleanliness that other Asian nations do, but it's not India.
It's usually children but have their parents and grandparents with them too. Pay attention to children and you will see.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

I was in Mainland China as recently as 6 months ago - Zhuhai. I saw it then, and I saw it in Macau as well around the same time. (Thinking of recent incidents here).

It's kids. Usually mothers pull the pants down of their little kids, and let them pee or poo wherever they are standing. I think one of them I saw over a drainage (curb on the side of the road), and the other was like on a tree, that had sidewalk pavement all around it. Both were VERY visible, without any consideration for passerbys. Which basically seems to be the Mainland Chinese way with ALL things.

Regarding cleanliness. I FINALLY made it to Guangzhou in 2013, and it was WAY cleaner than I thought it was going to be. I expected a complete mess, as thats the way it was always described to me for many years.

However, I also went to Shanghai in 2013, and it was WAY WAY WORSE than the last time I was there, which might have been like 2004 or 2005. The pollution in Shanghai was absolutely stifling. I always consider myself somewhat 'immune' to Asian pollution, as many of my western friends will be completely decapitated by it, when I won't even give it a second thought.

But, wow, that Shanghai pollution REALLY hit me!

Anyways, off the pollution topic, and back to the POO topic. The odd thing about this Singapore story, is an adult poo'd in the street? Usually it's adults assisting their kids to poo in the street.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
It's usually children but have their parents and grandparents with them too. Pay attention to children and you will see.
You do see people letting infants and toddlers do their things in the more poor or rural areas, but in the city, the only people who really let kids do that tend to be grandparents who don't find it offensive. There was one time during the spring festival when there was a rural family on the subway with all their bags whose toddler daughter started letting loose. Everyone around started yelling at the parents for it, and the father cleaned up the pee with some pocket tissues. Most younger parents get their kids diapers. I've certainly never seen an adult doing their business on the street along with the kids, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia