U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:57 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,138,131 times

Advertisements

Lot's of money: Singapore. Not lot's: Nepal

Old 08-28-2014, 07:28 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
probably somewhere in Yunan, China. Beautiful landscape, great weather, devoid of the pollution that plagues major Chinese cities, cheap.

Thailand is just too hot to bear.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM

986 posts, read 1,178,690 times
We're from N. California, both Fil/Ams and retired in the Philippines in 1998 and we're still here!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM

501 posts, read 461,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If I afford anywhere in Asia, than Hong Kong would be #1, Singapore #2, and Malaysia #3. But, being that retirement and affordability are issues, it kind of catapults Malaysia ahead of the others to #1.
I will probably retire in Hong Kong. I love living in Hong Kong, but jobs in my field are pretty terrible there, so I am pretty much forced to work in other countries. Once I no longer need to work, I would like to go back to Hong Kong. When I am older I want to live somewhere safe, convenient, where I can walk to restaurants, parks, shops, etc. very easily. Where healthcare is good and cheap. And someplace with a good and convenient airport so I can travel easily.

I actually do not think HK is that expensive of a place to retire to. Yes rent is expensive, so if you want or need a big place then costs go up quite a bit, but many other things are very affordable. Consumer goods are probably the cheapest in Asia. Taxes are probably the lowest in Asia. If you are an HK resident, healthcare is VERY cheap and VERY high quality (most people do not even bother buying health insurance). Public transit is fast and convenient and very cheap for people over 65 so you do not need a car and don't have to pay car payment, insurance, etc. Cell phone monthly fees are really cheap, etc.

Taiwan or Malaysia or Singapore would be nice too.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:46 AM

83 posts, read 89,215 times
What about Kazakhstan?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,761 times
If I had lots of money I would retire in Singapore..

Though I am by rich , I guess I would have to retire in Singapore too..
Which other country would take me in old age when I am
Not rich ?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:00 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Maldives.If it still exists when I'm a retiree.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:11 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
If I had lots of money I would retire in Singapore..

Though I am by rich , I guess I would have to retire in Singapore too..
Which other country would take me in old age when I am
Not rich ?
Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand...would all take anyone...you don't have to be rich to retire in a country with a lower cost of living. That's basically the reason so many people DO retire in countries with a lower COL, solely based on the fact their money stretches a bit further.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM

986 posts, read 1,178,690 times
Quote:
Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand...would all take anyone...you don't have to be rich to retire in a country with a lower cost of living. That's basically the reason so many people DO retire in countries with a lower COL, solely based on the fact their money stretches a bit further.
My wife and I are living proof it can be done! We've been retired in the Philippines going on 18 years now! We both may have been born here in the Philippines, but we are also American citizens and receiving my pensions from the U.S. government, which is adequate to live on here in the Philippines let alone anywhere else, but we're here to stay for the long haul, unless something comes up to change that! "Knock on wood"!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 AM

5,091 posts, read 8,068,874 times
Quote:
To retire in Thailand, you don't have to be rich, but you do need to show evidence that you have at least 800,000 baht (about US$25,000) per year to retire in the country. It can be a mix of savings in a Thai bank and retirement income. Money in the bank can't just be temporarily deposited for a couple of months just to make the showing. Your bank statements need to show its been there for something like 4-6 months. It's not an income that represents being rich, although there are plenty of locals who might think different. The idea is to discourage the riff-raff and show that you have enough of a stable income to support yourself in the country. You also need an address to show a place of residence in the country. Someone with around say US$10,000 in their pocket isn't likely to qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand. People who enter the country without a visa (up to a 30-day stay stamped on entry) won't qualify to apply for a retirement visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or