U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:00 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,272,710 times

Advertisements

Honestly Singapore is a good choice for retirement venue if you have lots of money..

Old 09-03-2014, 03:20 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,147,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Honestly Singapore is a good choice for retirement venue if you have lots of money..
Agreed. It would be my first choice if I had that money, but I don't. My second choice is Nepal. Why? The people are wonderful, the scenery is breathtaking, and the cost of living is affordable (though increasing).
Downsides are that since the Maoist War, law and order hasn't returned to pre-war standards, so it's not as safe as living in Singapore, and health care is marginal. You might have to go to Delhi or Bangkok for more involved medical procedures.
Thailand is high on many people's list, but not mine. Why? I lived there and was in business and found it to be thoroughly corrupt. I was paying off both the police and the Thai Mafia to stay in business. An associate expat businessman, another Vietnam veteran, was killed by his own body guard. The Thais are polite smiling people, but they will take your money at every opportunity. Almost everyone I know that invested there lost all of their money through deceitful manipulations. That applies even if you're married to your business partner. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:17 AM

My third choice would be Malaysia. Penang in particular. Reasonable cost of living, English widely spoken, good quality of life. Downside is that they have just priced SS retirees out of the immigration plan. They want more "upmarket" people. Bali is worse: They seem to only want retired cocaine dealers and junk bond swindlers.

Last edited by Bideshi; 09-03-2014 at 05:10 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 AM

People have different reasons for wanting to live in a place, some less edifying than others. Michael Jackson lived in Bahrain to indulge his "preference" for young boys, for example. My reasons for wanting to live in Nepal are different than they were 40 years ago. Forty years ago it was wild living and party, party, party. Today it is a chance to spread the Gospel and make it on my SS check.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 AM

Another possibility is Vietnam. I am not sure about the visa laws for hopeful retirees, but the country has a rich and vibrant culture, a great coastline with miles of unspoiled beaches, a reasonable cost of living, and great food. I actually enjoyed my time in Vietnam during the war, and I'm sure it's lot's better today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or