Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM

399 posts, read 719,757 times

Advertisements

So yeah would you retire somewhere in Asia and if so where? Why that particular place?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:16 AM

399 posts, read 719,757 times
I'm still young in my 30's. So retirement is some time away. The United States is a country for young people. People here don't seem to like the elderly and there is no place for them. So I don't want to live here when I get old. While I'm still young I want to work hard and leave something for my children and have a place where my wife and I can spend our last days in some comfort. I consider Cebu, my wife's birth place my second home. We already own a piece of land. But I'm thinking about buying more and maybe buying some units. Perhaps this being the place where I'll retire to. I know the Philippines has it's problems. Bad politics, poverty, high crime in the city areas, etc. But it has it's bonuses too. Low cost. Natural comforts.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
Yes that is for sure Asia is better but as you live and work in USA I don't think that you will adopt that easy in Asian country at that age. Now you are 30s here where I live need to work till 67. So after words I don't think I like going any where. Why don't you worry about that when the times comes? Yes but I know you want to plan. But why don't you enjoy the young life and let think about when you are 50?

Old 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,824 times
Japan!

Otaku land¬

Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
You need to make sure you can legally live in those countries first?

Those who want to move, do you even speak their language? Or you are gonna expect everyone to communicate with you in English? If that's case, you will be extremely lonely in retirement.

Last edited by botticelli; 08-27-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
I don't think that you will adopt that easy in Asian country at that age. Now you are 30s here where I live need to work till 67. So after words I don't think I like going any where. Why don't you worry about that when the times comes? Yes but I know you want to plan. But why don't you enjoy the young life and let think about when you are 50?
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You need to make sure you can legally live in those countries first?

Those who want to move, do you even speak their language? Or you are gonna expect everyone to communicate with you in English? If that's case, you will be extremely lonely in retirement.
He stated in his second post...

He has land in the Philippines, a wife from the Philippines, and Cebu is his, 'second home'...

Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
I am very young around 23 years old, and retirement is at least 40 to 50 years later into my future. I don’t think I am always going to live in North America, and imagine myself living somewhere in Europe or Asia for at least some time.

Retirement is possible anywhere, although takes effort to make those plans come into reality and stay realistic to people’s lives.

If I lived somewhere in Asia around that time of retirement, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Sri Lanka, some of China, and some of Vietnam are all qualifying candidates.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Thailand. A dollar goes far there and I love the place and people. Second would be Phillipines, a dollar goes far there, plus that added benefit of even more English speakers, but I already speak a bit of Thai. Enough to get by at least and am always able to learn more. Also both countries have a large American expat community going for it. Though if I retired to Thialand I'd be more off the grid in either Isan or a place like Rayong if I want Coastal living.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
So yeah would you retire somewhere in Asia and if so where? Why that particular place?
I think at different points in time, I've considered just about every Asian country at one point or another. Most recently, Malaysia seems to be one I'd consider above others. Mostly because I like its affordability combined with multicultural/international vibe/feeling....due to the affordability, it ranks higher.

I think I'd rather retire in somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore, but being retired in an expensive city might not be the best way to go.

Japan is a super comfortable country as well, but a serious lack of English, extremely high cost of living, and a serious lack of insulation making winters quite cold....are all serious contractors to take it off any potential list of mine.

Korea and China...just too stressful. Vietnam as well.

I'm one of the few not enamored enough with Thailand, although that's usually #1 on most people lists.

The Philippines would probably be my #2 after Malaysia. The things I don't like about the Philippines is its a bit more removed from Southeast Asia, not as easy of access as say Malaysia would be to everywhere else in t SE Asia. Plus, the corruption in the Philippines, is absolutely draining, to say the least. They still charge an exit fee to get out of the country...like US$25 or so. Airport Tax. They can really nickle-n-dime a person there.

If I afford anywhere in Asia, than Hong Kong would be #1, Singapore #2, and Malaysia #3. But, being that retirement and affordability are issues, it kind of catapults Malaysia ahead of the others to #1.

Recently though, I've been thinking of researching more of Europe, and finding some small town in somewhere like Portugal or anywhere walkable, convenient, comfortable.

I wish I could consider the U.S., but can't say I'd want to someday be 80+ years old and being car dependent or person-dependent to get every grocery item everyday, etc.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
The question was anywhere in Asia, but if I the question was anywhere, I'd retire in Spain. Southern Soanin in the Andalucia region. Spain is cheap, as far as Europe goes. Yes they use the Euro but goods tend to cost less, one reason it's a popular tourist destination for Germany, versus France or Italy. Beautiful Mediterranean weather.

Maybe it's being military and the large Filipino population, but I've heard Phillipines way more than Thailand. I've also seen Japan as a popular retirement destination for those servicemen with Japanese wives. One thing I will say about Thailand that speaks to it's popularity is the number of people who relocated there after meeting Thai women abroad and/or visiting the country fro whatever reason and becoming enamored. The movie Hangover II comes to mind, where the main character had his wedding there after meeting his Thai wife in the USA. In Bahrain I've met people who have moved or visit Thailand often, who first encountered the culture here in Bahrain. It may be because Thai people are very proud of their country and think Thai everything is the best thing ever and display their culture when abroad. Even here in Bahrain there are several popular Thai restaurants. Thai food and goods can be found in all of the stores and marts, nevermind the dedicated Thai stores. Their impact seems to be larger than their community. Even in the little grocery store/mart close to my home they sell small keepsake Thai temples and Buddha statues and heads. Considering the number of Filipinos here, which far outnumber the Thais, you don't see the same. It's easy to get intrigued by it and hop on a plane to check it out and I guess fall in love with the country while you're there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think at different points in time, I've considered just about every Asian country at one point or another. Most recently, Malaysia seems to be one I'd consider above others. Mostly because I like its affordability combined with multicultural/international vibe/feeling....due to the affordability, it ranks higher.

I think I'd rather retire in somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore, but being retired in an expensive city might not be the best way to go.

Japan is a super comfortable country as well, but a serious lack of English, extremely high cost of living, and a serious lack of insulation making winters quite cold....are all serious contractors to take it off any potential list of mine.

Korea and China...just too stressful. Vietnam as well.

I'm one of the few not enamored enough with Thailand, although that's usually #1 on most people lists.

The Philippines would probably be my #2 after Malaysia. The things I don't like about the Philippines is its a bit more removed from Southeast Asia, not as easy of access as say Malaysia would be to everywhere else in t SE Asia. Plus, the corruption in the Philippines, is absolutely draining, to say the least. They still charge an exit fee to get out of the country...like US$25 or so. Airport Tax. They can really nickle-n-dime a person there.

If I afford anywhere in Asia, than Hong Kong would be #1, Singapore #2, and Malaysia #3. But, being that retirement and affordability are issues, it kind of catapults Malaysia ahead of the others to #1.

Recently though, I've been thinking of researching more of Europe, and finding some small town in somewhere like Portugal or anywhere walkable, convenient, comfortable.

I wish I could consider the U.S., but can't say I'd want to someday be 80+ years old and being car dependent or person-dependent to get every grocery item everyday, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia