U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,458,888 times

Advertisements

American Fast food seem mildly popular in Seoul, you will find KFC, McDonalds, Star Bucks, TGI Fridays, Taco Bell, Subway, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Doughnut King etc in the city with little problems.

Local brand Lotteria would seem to be the most popular chain in the country, their are also Paris Baguette and local chain coffee shops everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 12:07 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
They have a few Taco Bells in Manila. Manila has almost everything when it comes to fast food. The home-grown fast food chains are Jollibee (burgers) and Chowking (Chinese food)
There are Jollibees in SF and LA, I think also in a couple other US cities.

I wish there were Taco Bells in China; I'm the only person making tacos in Guanzhou. So actually, no, I don't wish there were Taco Bells in China, upon further thought...

Old 09-13-2014, 12:16 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,278,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ching_chong_minuswow View Post
Taiwanese style fried chicken is itself a Taiwanese fast food, not a single company, with shops own by many different families all over Taiwan.
I first had the basil fried chicken in Taiwan 25 years ago. Same with those pork bellies in the small mantou buns Still love them both!

Old 09-13-2014, 12:17 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Pretty much every city in Asia has KFC and McDonald's. Pizza Hut and Burger King is quite common too, Subway can be found in most cities, but not as common as the others you mentioned, i think.
McD's and KFC are the most popular here. I see more Subways than Burger Kings, but both are still popular. Pizza Hut and Papa Johns are thought of as upscale casual chains. An acceptable place to take a date.

KFC isn't really thought of as "upscale" but it's still quite "cool." In the more happening spots in Chinese cities, you'll see a big KFC with a bunch of luxury sedans and SUV's parked out front and young, cool cats inside, chilling with their hot girlfriends and sharing a bucket of wings.

Quote:
Singapore has every fast food chain known to man! Way more than where I currently live in Seattle :-)
Seattle is one of a handful of other American cities that have made a conscious decision to reject national chains in favor of local businesses - Boston and SF are good examples of this as well. NYC and LA have most of the major chains but also have booming mom-and-pop/local scenes simply because of the sheer volume of people. Every neighborhood has at least one burger joint, taqueria, noodle house, pizzeria, etc that serves better food than the chains and people tend to patronize those... I guess it's more the free market keeping them out, ironically, than a conscious effort to prevent chains from opening up.

Quote:
Except Taco Bell. There used to be a few in Asia, but I think they all closed.
They were in Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou, but closed about ten years ago because no one in China knows what the hell a taco is.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:37 PM

6,581 posts, read 3,636,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There are Jollibees in SF and LA, I think also in a couple other US cities.
They are about 20 spread around California with a couple of restaurants in Las Vegas and three more in Hawaii. Five more stores in Houston, New York, New Jersey, Virginia and Washington near the Joint Base Lewis McChord

Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,615,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
They have a few Taco Bells in Manila. Manila has almost everything when it comes to fast food. The home-grown fast food chains are Jollibee (burgers) and Chowking (Chinese food)
One thing I've noticed about fast food chains in the Philippines, both indigenous or international, nearly all of them have spaghetti on the menu (the noodles softer than al dente and served with a somewhat sweeter tomato sauce).

Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 AM

4 posts, read 2,639 times
What i found that in middle class families of India Chinese and american foods are almost equally popular or the Chinese food is marginally better but in upper middle class families American food is liked more where as in lower class families Chinese food is liked more because of cheap or low cost.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:57 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Which countries prefer the American chains (McDonalds, Subway, Taco Bell, KFC, etc)

and which are less crazy about them?

Are there also fast food chains unique to Asia?
I wouldn't say 'prefer.' Certain companies just force their way into a market. McDonalds, KFC, and to a lesser extent Subway, all do that quite well throughout almost all of Asia.

Taco Bell...they were only in Singapore and Manila for the longest time. But just recently Korea was opened up by some North American something or another, and Taco Bell came in with that.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Singapore has every fast food chain known to man! Way more than where I currently live in Seattle :-)

Except Taco Bell. There used to be a few in Asia, but I think they all closed.
That's disappointing if Singapore closed its Taco Bell. I used to make a point of eating there when in Singapore. Although, admittedly it was difficult to do, as there is just so many better options in Singapore.

Seoul has quite a few taco bells now...which is a new thing just within the last 3-4 years. Manila has a few as well.

That's about it though!

Old 06-13-2019, 05:49 AM

131 posts, read 8,939 times
Phillippines prefers the American way.

There are rice and noodles fast food chains in Japan, Korea, China , Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Food are many times healthier than American fast food. Drinks are tea or soy milk, better than soft drinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Which countries prefer the American chains (McDonalds, Subway, Taco Bell, KFC, etc)

and which are less crazy about them?

Are there also fast food chains unique to Asia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or