U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 AM

22,173 posts, read 23,698,700 times

Advertisements

I have never encountered this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
This is probably mostly only a thing within North America, but I cannot believe how many people say something to the effect of 'Yeah, it's crazy how crowded India is, and then they have this crazy city of Dubai!'

I noticed this after telling some peers about a recent trip to India, and I swear about half of them had that exact reaction. Obviously they are most likely confusing Dubai with Mumbai, but the tone suggests they are surprised that a city as modern as Dubai can exist *if it did* in India. But still, Mumbai isn't exactly glamorous on the world stage so it becomes a bit confusing to me why this mistake seems so common. I could understand if both Mumbai and Dubai were as comparable as Abu Dhabi and Dubai, but that simply isn't true.

Anyone else agree?
Personally I don't know anyone who confuses Dubai with Mumbai.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 AM

9,780 posts, read 13,368,018 times
I've never once heard anyone refer to Dubai as being in India.

Even the Arab-hatin', war-supportin', Muslim-fearin' MURICA types I've met scratch their heads at how there's a damn-near Hong Kong out there on the Arab Peninsula.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-03-2014 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 09-13-2014, 05:38 AM

10,428 posts, read 12,433,840 times
I think there are even more people who think its a country

Old 09-13-2014, 11:20 AM

22,173 posts, read 23,698,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
See, that I believe because a lot of people have a hard time differentiating among cities, provinces/states, countries, regions, and continents. However, the specifics of confusing Dubai as a part of India seems really unlikely.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:34 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,472,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Having just come back from a two-week trip to Dubai and Muscat, Oman, this was my experience moreso than people thinking Dubai was in India. "Dubai" is said so much more than United Arab Emirates and I think people don't realize one is a city and one is a country.

What also surprised me was the number of people of all nationalities in Dubai who didn't know where the "United States" or "USA" is. Often, when asked where we were from, we had to answer "America" before they understood.

Regardless, we did love both Dubai and Muscat!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:53 AM

9,780 posts, read 13,368,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
lack of knowledge of basic geography is expected from Americans.

Quote:
How many American know London, UK is more northern than North Dakota?
How many British know this, can point out North Dakota on a map, or have ever even heard of North Dakota?

Quote:
How many can point out roughly where Hawaii is on the map?
I'd guess somewhere in the 90-95% range.

Quote:
How many know Mexico is not in South America?
Most of them know. Anyone who went to junior high school should know.

Quote:
How many know Canada or Australia's capital city? How many have a very rough idea of Brazil's population?
What is this, Trivial Pursuit? How many Australians know roughly how many people live in California? How many Chinese know NYC's rough population? Why single out Americans for not knowing every metric or factoid about the rest of the world? Yawn.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 PM

110 posts, read 106,802 times
Maybe it sounds like the word 'Mumbai'.

Those ignorant in geography or world politics or current events would thinkk it is a part of India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or